MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Revolver Dilemma.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger. I shoot the 45 acp much more than the 45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I don't have one, but if I did it would be the opposite for me. A 45 ACP revolver can be loaded from a magazine, I do it with my CA Pitbull. A 1911 magazine is as close as it gets to a speed loader for a SA revolver.
    I'm going to steal that idea for a .22 SA! Thanks, WW.

Boolit Master
    If you go with the Ruger, either go current production or check out the cylinder throats before buying. While S&W was famous for huge cylinder throats on their 45 Colt revolvers, Ruger did it too. My brother has a convertible, 1972 vintage I believe that he bought NIB. It has .456" throats, and was a chore to get to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    If you go with the Ruger, either go current production or check out the cylinder throats before buying. While S&W was famous for huge cylinder throats on their 45 Colt revolvers, Ruger did it too. My brother has a convertible, 1972 vintage I believe that he bought NIB. It has .456" throats, and was a chore to get to shoot well.
    I had one of those & DougGuy transformed it into a tack driver.

Henry

Boolit Master

Buy them all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    I had one of those & DougGuy transformed it into a tack driver.

Henry
    He couldn't have made the throats smaller, what did he do?

Boolit Buddy
    I love my ruger bisley convertible.

When I buy any firearm nowadays, it is with a specific purpose in mind. This purpose could be recreational, specific kind of hunting, teaching kids how to shot, concealed carry, etc.

I once owned a Bisley Blackhawk. I will never buy a single action revolver again. Slow, and double action with swing out cylinders are a huge advancement in my opinion. If I wanted to shoot coyboy action it sure wouldn't be done with a gigantic Colt. I wouldn't want to carry a big 44 special revolver, either. I've found that if it isn't small and light I wont carry it. It's hard to beat a 9mm pistol for that. Only a J-Frame (or similar) compares among revolvers.

If I were you I'd ask myself what I want to DO before asking what to BUY.

Though sometimes I've found unexpected uses. I bought my G2 Contender for deer hunting, but it has lately become my carry around the woods pistol because of its outstanding range and accuracy. It's easy enough to carry in a holster (not concealed) and approaches rifle performance under 100 yards. Perfect for nailing coyotes when cutting wood. It replaced my S&W 28 revolver in this duty.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 02-24-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger.

The advantage to the 45 ACP cylinder over the 45 Colt in the Ruger is that if velocities of from 700 to 950 fps with 230-250 grain bullets are contemplated as being the most useful and frequently used, velocity consistency is much better in the shorter 45 ACP case.

If you want an eye opener, stuff a 250 SWC in a 45 Colt, load over a “standard” charge of 8 grains of Unique or suchlike, and test velocity with powder near bullet and powder near primer.

Boolit Buddy

I'd definitely go with the Ruger.

Another vote for the Ruger. Very versatile.
    SPJ

Think you prioritized them perfectly! #1) I have the Ruger - LOVE IT! Only other thing there would be same flattop in 44 SPC, which I also have (and I intend to look at making it convertible with a 44-40 cylinder!). #2) Have a Uberti SAA Clone in 45 Colt (and 44-40), almost same - and love them both. And like you, no need to hotrod a 45 Colt to have a blast! #3) a BP - mine is an 1860 Army (sexiest design in a revolver ever, imo). Love it too. #4) Last is a 44 SPC 3" Carry. IF your budget was ~$550-$600 - it would immediately jump to the top of MY list and be a Ruger GP100 44 SPC!

And I cast and load for all the above, so any would work for me!

Boolit Man
    I'm going to be the odd man out & here & say "Walker," just for the heck of it. The BH convertible is a fine revolver, but not particularly accurate IME [typical Ruger wheelgun, you need to ream the chambers properly, they're as undersized as the Italian BP repros...] And what's not to love about Andre the Giant's pocket pistol? If it's good enough for Josey Wales*, it's good enough for me!

* Clint Eastwood seriously needs to get "Thank You!" medals from S&W & Uberti: between his characters of Harry Callahan & Josey Wales, he's kept those two firms in business for the past 50 years!

I would get the Walker. Carry it like Crocodile Dundee carried his knife,,,then when some punk pulls a 9mm on ya you can draw the Walker and say,,,That's not a gun, now that's a gun!!!

Seriously,,,I plan to get one soon. They are just cool.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Boolit Master
    I've always been fascinated by the Walker. Then I pick one up every few years and get over it. It's one of those guns I'll have if I ever hit the Powerball. Might have to whack a surly bartender with it (points to those who got that reference).

The 4-5/8" convertible is one of my favorite pistols. Likely the most practical from mild to wild. Get the throats tweaked (if they need it) and a good trigger job and you may never need another pistol (but I'm sure you'll buy more). If you want to run it hot, I don't think there is another pistol on the market where you can get this much horsepower in this size package, for this kind of money. 270 SAA's at around 1300 oughta be plenty doable, though not real fun to hang on to with the "plow handle".

The 1873 with a 4-3/4" barrel is underrated. IMO, they are a good bit lighter than the Ruger, feel a bit better in the hand, and most critters don't want to be in the way of a 270 SAA at 900fps. If you can't get your work done with 5 rounds of that, you shoulda bought the Ruger. 200 grain plinkers would be doable. Planning on doing this with some Trail Boss before long.

GP 100 .44 Special would be a fine gun. If they come out with the blued model in 4" I may be in trouble.

If it were me, I'd punt. I'm THINKING Ruger did their smaller frame flattop Blackhawk in a .45 convertible model. ACP Cylinder plus the aforementioned 270 SAA's at about 1,050. Wouldn't be a bad place to be.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    I've always been fascinated by the Walker. Then I pick one up every few years and get over it. It's one of those guns I'll have if I ever hit the Powerball. Might have to whack a surly bartender with it (points to those who got that reference).

The 4-5/8" convertible is one of my favorite pistols. Likely the most practical from mild to wild. Get the throats tweaked (if they need it) and a good trigger job and you may never need another pistol (but I'm sure you'll buy more). If you want to run it hot, I don't think there is another pistol on the market where you can get this much horsepower in this size package, for this kind of money. 270 SAA's at around 1300 oughta be plenty doable, though not real fun to hang on to with the "plow handle".

The 1873 with a 4-3/4" barrel is underrated. IMO, they are a good bit lighter than the Ruger, feel a bit better in the hand, and most critters don't want to be in the way of a 270 SAA at 900fps. If you can't get your work done with 5 rounds of that, you shoulda bought the Ruger. 200 grain plinkers would be doable. Planning on doing this with some Trail Boss before long.

GP 100 .44 Special would be a fine gun. If they come out with the blued model in 4" I may be in trouble.

If it were me, I'd punt. I'm THINKING Ruger did their smaller frame flattop Blackhawk in a .45 convertible model. ACP Cylinder plus the aforementioned 270 SAA's at about 1,050. Wouldn't be a bad place to be.
    I don't shoot my walker at 60 grains often, but do it now and then. mostly I'm shooting it at 50. If I ever go hunting during black powder season, it's loaded to 60 in case of close encounters, whether i've got my 50 cal flinter, or my 69 cal musket. I have no doubt that the walker will take a hog trying to tree me, and while not fantastic, should provide at least -emergency/disaster- bear options.

Boolit Mold
    As a longtime 45 Colt aficionado, I will give you my completely unbiased opinion. The Ruger will not disappoint and 45 Colt is one of the most versatile rounds out there, especially in a BH.
    You probably already have dies for 44 but dies are cheap so there is not much else to gain with the 44spl.
    Having said that, if you don’t already have a bp revolver you owe it to yourself to try one. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had shooting a handgun! I’m not a big fan of clones but I do own a pietta 1858 and it’s a nice gun. The uberti should be even nicer. And the Walker has got to be one of the more desirable guns ever made imo. Not as purty as an 1860 (gotta agree with the poster above on the 1860) but a real piece of history (even if it is a clone).
    So there you go. Narrowed it down to two. If it were me, I’d probably breakdown and buy them both.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdt81 View Post
    As a longtime 45 Colt aficionado, I will give you my completely unbiased opinion. The Ruger will not disappoint and 45 Colt is one of the most versatile rounds out there, especially in a BH.
    You probably already have dies for 44 but dies are cheap so there is not much else to gain with the 44spl.
    Having said that, if you don’t already have a bp revolver you owe it to yourself to try one. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had shooting a handgun! I’m not a big fan of clones but I do own a pietta 1858 and it’s a nice gun. The uberti should be even nicer. And the Walker has got to be one of the more desirable guns ever made imo. Not as purty as an 1860 (gotta agree with the poster above on the 1860) but a real piece of history (even if it is a clone).
    So there you go. Narrowed it down to two. If it were me, I’d probably breakdown and buy them both.
    The biggest advantage to 44 special for me is the fact I already have numerous molds for 44 cal, loads developed, and ammo/supplies on hand for it. In a strong action, it could be very competitive with 357 mag in terms of take down power.

You guys are not making it easy. That Ruger is extremely appealing, especially after I watched a few videos covering it. There's something about that SAA that's really calling to me though. Like I said before, I'd like to get into CAS, and that revolver would knock the number of guns I need down to 2. Plus, that thing is gorgeous!

Boolit Master
    I will help solve your delimma. Buy them all. You will never feel satisfied unless you do.

Boolit Mold
    Wants vs needs. If you need a gun, buy the gun that fits your needs. But I suspect all of us on this board have surpassed the need stage and have all of our gun needs covered.
    If you want a gun, buy the gun you want. No need to complicate the decision with reason or facts. That’s where most of us are.

Both perfectly valid ways to buy a gun. But it sure is fun to walk into your lgs and glance over at the used gun counter and when something shiny catches your eye, buy it based on pure passion. Kinda like love at first sight. I’ve hesitated and lost out too many times.

Besides, any SAA is a pleasure to behold and shoot. Sounds like a crime of passion to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast