RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: My Fight-Lite SCR System Build.

My Fight-Lite SCR System Build.

As some of you know I am a big fan of the Fight-Lite SCR Rifle.

This is mainly due to me actually owning one, and having shot it a bunch I have grown quite fond of it.

The fact that it will take any AR Upper had me thinking from the beginning that this gun would lend itself well to Long Range Shooting as well as Carbine uses. Like a Shooting System built around a common LowerAssembly.

When I first got the lower about a year ago, I purchased a PSA 16" Dissipator Lower for it. I mounted a Bushnell TRS 25 and was off to Front Sight for a Practical Rifle Class. It performed perfectly! It is so fast on target it is criminal! I have also shot several 3 gun shoots with it and it also works very well for that. As you would kind of expect. I have no problem hitting 8x10 steel targets out to 200 yards with the Red Dot sight with boring regularity.

I made a few minor changes when I got back (Ambi Mag Release) to enhance the "Manual of Arms" but over all the gun was good to go.

Late last year Front Sight started offering an "Introduction to Precision Rifle Class" which is essentially the first day of the regular shooting class, but without the shooting, just Technical Basics of Long Range Shooting in the class room, and I attended that course in November.

The rifle requirements for the full class are a sub MOA rifle any caliber. I have a Ruger Scout that is super accurate, 3/4-7/8 MOA consistently, but I wanted something Semi Auto in a smaller caliber.

PSA had a 24" .223 upper listed but it was always "Out of Stock."

I finally got fed up and started calling to find when they'd be in stock,,, repeated "no answer." I finally got ahold of a CS guy who gave me the number for Dealer Sales, and that guy I talked to was very helpful, and actually went in the back room and found a blem , 24" upper NO BCG or CH which I didn't need and I got it for $270 shipped! Exactly what I wanted.

It got here today and I assembled the rifle with this new top end and here's a few pics of it.

You will also note the Devil Dog Concepts Side Charger Bolt Handle and the reason for it being nearly impossible to rack the bolt with a conventional BH with the Scope hanging over the back. I got it a month or so ago for just this purpose.

I mounted a 1-6X Millet Scope which I got from Larry Potterfield for $170 = 1/2 what they normally go for.(thanks Larry!) Which will easily get me to 800 Yards but I may have to get something higher power to get to 1000-1200. We'll see. The optics of this scope are EXCELLENT and it has an Illuminated BDC Reticle and great knobs.

With the 16" Upper the gun weighs 7.0 lbs. With the 24" Upper it weighs 9.0 lbs. It is noticeably muzzle heavy with the 24" barrel which is a good thing for a LR gun. But 9.0 lbs is about right for a gun like this. Not super heavy but still heavy enough to not flop around on the bags.

I will let every one know how it all works out after I get to shoot it. Lots of work to do to get a load concocted and a range card to go with it. The intention has been 77-90 gr bullets for this gun and it has a 1:7 twist barrel that should work right with those bullets

I will be loading all the ammo for the Long Range Upper with one of my Hand Presses so I can be sure of super accuracy in my ammo.

Pretty sure this gun will perform as intended just like it did with the 16" upper.

I might add that the Conventional Stock puts my cheek weld in exactly the right place when standing, but I may need to shim it up for the Prone Position.

Here's pics of the whole system, and it all fits in one case ! I have got right at $1500 in this entire system

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-03-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

that thing is super cool, it changes everything I don't like about conventional ar's and keeps the good stuff! in other words, conventional ar's look too "tactical" for my liking ( sorry, I know, I hate it when people judge a gun by how it looks, and then deems it an evil black rifle, I am not one of those people) just not my taste. that gun looks very comfortable to shoot! let us know any updates!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Travis: the Carbine version works really well.

I haven't gotten to shoot the 24" upper yet as I just got it yesterday and it still needs to be sighted in ,but I am expecting great things from it.

Here's some more pics.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Moderator Emeritus

If you find that upper lacks accuracy these guys make super accurate barrels https://shop.dezarms.com/product.sc?...&categoryId=27 I use a 16 inch match grade from them that is sub MOA at 100 yards with hand loads. It put 5 shots into a single ragged hole. It is on my prairie dog/coyote rifle where long range accuracy is handy!

Same rifle, cheap American Eagle 55 grain ball ammo(not very accurate!) 100 yards, 6 inch diameter target, rapid fire to see how heat would affect accuracy. Rest was a rolled up sweatshirt on top of the ammo can I bring with that has tools, cleaning stuff etc.

The rifle. DPMS lower, group buy no name slick side upper(saved weight), DelTon BCG and other internals, DEZ barrel, Midwest Industries free float handguard, AR Optics 3-9 x 40 scope, Nikon P223 rings, and you can't see it but I do have a muzzle brake on it right now.

Last edited by MaryB; 03-04-2018 at 12:58 AM.

All previous reports on that 24" barreled upper were saying virtually one hole groups with 77 gr bullets.

We'll see when I shoot it.

The good thing about the Sierra 77 gr HPBT bullets is that the cannelure is placed the same distance from the nose as it is on a 55 gr bullet,, so the OAL will be the same using the same setup in the 550. I will only have to change the powder measure charge weight after I establish what works with BL-C2/W748.

My bro in law just got a Ballistic Program at the SHOT Show that includes "Barrel Timing." Barrel Timing is about finding which velocity allows the bullet to exit the muzzle at the same point during the barrel's whip during firing.

The Ladder Test is the Manual Version of this, but it can be predicted mathmaticaly as well.

Randy

Boolit Master

I still like it and think it looks great. I would own one.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

In Remembrance

The more I see these rifles the more they grow on me. I'll be watching for the results.

Hoping our range is reopened soon. The Forest Service has it closed because it is in the "Burn Area," never mind that nothing on the range got burnt or even got close. But this is CA.

My Bros computer program says 22.8 gr of BL-C2 is the magic number for a 24" barrel with that specific bullet, and that will yield 2788 fps.

I'll probably start at 22 gr and work up while at the range.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting, please keep us posted.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker