MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: PPU Brass not good for me

PPU Brass not good for me

I cast some 309 diam. bullets using a LEE 170 gr bullet mold. Sized them to 309 diam. Powder coated, then re-sized to 309 again. Put on gas checks.
    Prepped some 30-06 PPU brass . Started seating bullets into the PPU brass. Bullets just fell thru the neck into the case. Did this on 3 other attempts to seat bullets.
    Switched to Winchester brass and the bullets seated perfectly. I'm guessing that the neck size is larger than the Winchester cases. Bagged up all of the PPU brass and set them way back in the brass pile.
    Da Okie/ Now known as Vearl

Did you size the brass prior to loading? FL or neck sized? Just curious.....I use a lot of new and/or once-fired neck-sized PPU brass for my Tikka 30-06 and absolutely love it.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Never had it happen for me with 7.62x54r brass.

Something fishy in denmark. Wrong die, something.

If this was new brass, just run them through your full length sizer. After that, you can just neck size them.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Just started using ppu brass and not having any problems at all. I always size all new brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Run them through your size/decap die and try again...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Only problem I've had with PPU brass is a lot of 8x56R that I converted to 8x50R that had extra deep primer pockets. The double rifle I was shooting them out of wouldn't always touch them off in the right barrel. The primers were visibly deeper on some of them. Other than that PPU brass has been excellent quality.

The ppu brass I’ve used to convert 300bo had a lot of spring back and was so hard to convert I gave up and toss them.

Boolit Master
    PPU has been good in every caliber I've used.

The only way you could have no neck tension is if the walls of the brass is under size or as posted above there is or was a problem somewhere in the sizing.

Do you by chance use a neck expander like a "M" die and have different size expanders on them. I have larger "M" expander for 54R for example.

Motor

i am loading a lot of PPU brass in 9.3x62mm , 8mm Mauser and .223 Rem. and have never had an issue with it .

Boolit Grand Master

Measure the neck wall thickness of the cases to see if they are thinner than other brass. .0015 -.002 on a side thinner can cause this problem also. When you sized these cases did the expander ball drag over the neck coming out? Did you use the right expander?

Boolit Master
    I use ppu brass in 223/308 and now in 4570 all worked OK for me.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes it is best to just go back & re-check that ya may have forgotten a step due to some interruption while you were loading, or that you , by mistake, grabbed the wrong item(die/ insert for the die, etc.), or something like that.

Basically, just start over & re-check as ya go & see if you can rule out every other part of the process & components involved. Then , if everything else has been ruled out, then checking the brass for issues would be what I would do next.

It may just be that ya missed something else & the brass may not be the issue. It happens to everyone on occasion.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    If it's been reloaded 5 or 6 times or range brass anneal the necks .

Boolit Master
    I use PPU brass across 17 calibres including 30-06 and have never had a problem.

The op doesn't say if he FL or neck sized his brass or whether they were new or fired cases.

If they had been fired several times, they would probably need annealing to take any spring-back out of the brass.

Some more detailed information as to his procedures would help before making any informed comments.

ukrifleman