RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Lyman molds

Boolit Master
    The information below is copied from Redding/SAECO bullet mold catalog.

Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them

The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic, 91.75% lead).
    Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on the weight among the most commonly used casting alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain dif- ference in weight.
    Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5% tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with such bullets running approximately 1/3% smaller in diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3% lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony, with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets with diameters and weights falling between those cast from wheel weights and linotype.
    Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably smaller than wheel weights and in some cases will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing. Within the limitations given above, the weight and diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the alloy’s antimony content.
    The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temerature.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear your having troubles . I have a 429421 and it gives me good boolits with Lyman #2 .

Wow, great info, thanks for posting

Boolit Master
    I only buy vintage Lyman molds.
    I buy from MP,NOE, Accurate and sleep well at night.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I haven't had any problems with undersize bullets with Lyman molds.My Lyman molds date from the 50's thru current production.I do not use wheel weights for bullet alloy.I use linotype sometimes mixed with range scrap lead.That probably makes a difference.

Boolit Master

My old Ideal molds are fine for diameter.

Lyman told me straight up their 311 molds drop at 309 but that is with old #2 or lino. I said they should rename them all 308-something then. But they won't. I was casting for a rifle with a .3100" bore so that was just a giant Forget You from Lyman to me.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

I have several Lyman molds, but have had most of them for decades. I strongly recommend NOT buying a NEW Lyman mold of any persuasion. I bought one on eBay, it cast small, I sent it back to Lyman for re-cutting, and they returned it saying they were afraid their cutter might be damaged. I sold it again, and invested in an MP 4-banger, and pressed on...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Well I returned it to midway again. I hate to do that to them, but the product was unacceptable... I have three other Lyman molds, the 330g gould that casts small which is ok because my marlin slugs small. A 230g RN for the 45 acp which rains perfectly sized boolits, I love it but it was inherited and is likely very old. And a 124g RN .358 which casts small and I beagled to an acceptable product.
    I am seriously looking at an MP four-banger. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe this thread even) that he cuts his molds to cast with coww alloy, is this true? Thanks.

Sorry for all the fellas having trouble with Lyman. I have a couple Lyman molds for my 44mag BH with .432 throats and a .430 bore and I wanted bullets to "drop" at .432 and size with a magma .431 die. Took them two tries (Lyman) but they got it right. I did pay shipping to them, they paid return. I have two great molds for the 44 mag now. Any one that's done much reading about Lyman molds should know that Lyman sets their molds for Lyman #2 alloy, kinda stands to reason eh'. So if you're using wheel weights or some other "alloy" then don't be surprised if the bullet size is off. It ain't Lyman's fault. Nobody makes a mold that will drop bullets at the same size with different alloys. The "custom" molds being talked about that will drop with WW alloy because that's what was ordered will NOT drop the same size using other alloys. So know what alloy you're going to use and buy accordingly.

I understand that Lyman wants to you to use #2 alloy, but the devastator was designed around WW alloy (to the best of my knowledge, which was gleaned from an article by Frixell if I remember correctly).

Did you ever cast that #2 at 700° ?

Yes I did, and it came out .450, about a thou bigger than the higher temp casting, but still well under what I needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    Well I returned it to midway again. I hate to do that to them, but the product was unacceptable... I have three other Lyman molds, the 330g gould that casts small which is ok because my marlin slugs small. A 230g RN for the 45 acp which rains perfectly sized boolits, I love it but it was inherited and is likely very old. And a 124g RN .358 which casts small and I beagled to an acceptable product.
    I am seriously looking at an MP four-banger. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe this thread even) that he cuts his molds to cast with coww alloy, is this true? Thanks.
    Every MP mold I bought cast the stated diameter with 3/1+/96 alloy. He offers .452 and .454, two and four cavity, and a six cavity solid. 452640 is Miha's version of the devastator. Email him as sometimes there are molds available not listed online. Otherwise it comes up regularly in Group Buys.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Left
    Years ago for
    MP,
    Accurate, and
    NOE

You state in your OP that you're on the road to writing off Lyman molds. I'd say you're right to keep driving. I've written off the expense of mine as a learning experience and moved on.

We've got several manufacturers making excellent product who will show you a print of exactly what you get with a specific alloy (or close enough to be usable), and we've got Accurate who will make YOUR specific print with YOUR specific alloy. The Lymans seem to be widely incompatible with the alloys and or techniques we are commonly using, just flat out off, or of a different spec this year for a given mold number than they were at a different time in history, with no print to show what you're getting. And when one looks at price, they're all pretty much in the same ball park. I'll spend the money on what WORKS, thanks.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12