RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: chart for front aperture

Boolit Master

chart for front aperture

Is there a chart somewhere that shows recommended front apertures for various bulls eyes at various ranges? There use to be an excellent chart by "Fuzzy Limey" but I can't find it.

Thanks
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I like to use the Lee Shaver Inserts in my Lyman 17a Front globe sight The smallest one with a 24 inch barrel is great with a 3" black bull at 50 yds and a 6" black bull at 100 yds
    Hope this helps
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I don't know if a chart would really do much good, due to each individuals eyesight, and the light and mirage conditions.
    It's best to have a good number of front inserts in your range box so that you can find the insert that you're most comfortable with.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    fullbore shooters mostly say that the diameter of the aiming mark should be about 1/3 the diameter of the the ring.
    some shooters with really good eyes can use smaller rings.
    you need to focus on the foresight, and if your eyes cannot do this you need to see an optician conversant with shooting.
    differing light conditions require different sized rings.
    as don says, have a selection of rings.
    a wise move is to keep the rings in some organized manner or you can end up in more strife than flash gordon on the firing line.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Banned

a chart is almost silly because the aperture to choose depends on many factors, including weather conditions and its changes during a match.

Boolit Master
    I know what you mean but the answer is which ever looks the sharpest for that days shooting & light conditions

Boolit Buddy
    and leaves plenty of white around the aiming mark.
    the more white, the better the human brain can subconsciously centre.
    in actual fact the eye can only focus at 1 distance.
    best accuracy comes when this is the foresight.
    if your eyes can't do this, you need a corrective lense.
    it also means that if the ring is clear and sharp, the aiming mark will be blurred, as will the rear aperture.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Grand Master

A chart wouldn't take light, eye sight, barrel length, temp, mirage and other things in to effect. A larger ring of white is better than to narrow. I find when the ring gets to narrow I try to hard to center it up. Also a ring 1 1/2 width of bull of white makes favoring a shot easier with appetures. The problem with appetures on shilouettes is finding one that fits the target. You could convert your aperture size thru Minute of angle to the size it is at the yardage you want to shoot. So for a six inch bull ( 6 +3+3 six inch bull and 2 3" rings of white =12"), size of circle desired X barrel length / distance in inches. 12" X 34" / 3600 = .11333 aperture size. With this you can determine the size for you.

A insert card with inserts for your front isn't all that expensive. And a bull can be posted and inserts change till you see what you want.

Also don't rule out the front post or the lollypops styles of apetures. I find I adjust my hadley rear aperture more than the front appetures due to light levels.

Boolit Buddy

A front sight is available that has an adjustable aperture with verticle and horizontal cross bars. I have one. It's made by Gehman. ( misspelled I think )

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE MOULDS View Post
    fullbore shooters mostly say that the diameter of the aiming mark should be about 1/3 the diameter of the the ring.
    some shooters with really good eyes can use smaller rings.
    you need to focus on the foresight, and if your eyes cannot do this you need to see an optician conversant with shooting.
    differing light conditions require different sized rings.
    as don says, have a selection of rings.
    a wise move is to keep the rings in some organized manner or you can end up in more strife than flash gordon on the firing line.
    keep safe,
    bruce.
    I use an Altoids tin with a bottom layer of craft flexible magnet material in the bottom. The type of material in my box has a white coating that really helps me see the inserts clearly.
    Cliff