Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Powder coating pros and cons ---------------------

Boolit Master

Powder coating pros and cons ---------------------

OK guys, PLEASE no one get their dander up and start throwing stones my way. I'm in this game to hopefully have good results just as I suspect most of you are.

However, a number of times when the powder coating subject came up I posted that I desired to see side by side - lubed /powder coated - accuracy tests with my interest being the best accuracy possible.

Either no one has made such tests or simply didn't wish to post their results.

I'm not - hear me now - not posting to dissuade anyone from powder coating if that is their preference, I just wanted to see side by side accuracy results as I have been sizing/lubing for too many years just to jump into another process without clear gains expected.

So, recently I picked up a February - March 2018 Handloader Magazine in which was published a hands on article by John Haviland on the subject of powder coating.

In this article he explores different process and then tests for accuracy a 7mm/08 with a 147gr RCBS bullet along with a 30/30 and a .45acp.

Of those three cartridges and firearms, the 7/08 gave better accuracy with the sized and lubed bullets, the 30/30 gave a slight edge to the powder coated bullets and the .45acp gave a clear advantage to the sized and lubed bullets.

AGAIM, Please don't start throwing those stones my way, but this is the first time I have read anything close to answering my questions about the accuracy potential with powder coated bullets.

Anyway, being the Ol'Coot that I am, and having sized and lube thousands of cast bullets for many years, guess I'll just stay where I am.

Yep some advantages to this new process with the cool colors, lack of messy lube etc. but considering the additional steps required to complete the process and the fact that I'm well set up for the old size and lube process, guess I'll just ride it out until/unless I see a clear accuracy advantage shown by side by side tests. Same bullets, same firearm etc.

I'll repeat, don't get your collective danders up as I'm criticizing or trying to say to anyone not to use the powder coating process, but finally I have read some of the info I'd hoped to read, a side by side - although limited - comparison.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Lubed boolits are more accurate. Having said that I powder coat because of storage and being clean. All my wadcutters are lubed because I burn them up so often.
    The difference is not all that great. If you are shooting for prize money use lube ?

And I found just the opposite as Tenbender. If anything , I would call it a draw. I even tried custom molds with no lube grooves and did not see any measurable difference. The main plus for me and PC is the "lack" of lube.

No flames CDOC, lots of folks have the same questions along with the different opinions. Maybe it has to do with certain calibers or types of actions. I only own lever guns.

Vendor Sponsor

cant actually do an exact side by side of the EXACT same load .. PC will increase velocity about 4%.. so load in most cases will need to be reworked up when going from lubed to pc or vice versa
    Now can I get a very accurate load with PC absolutely .. have posted many many pics of targets I have shot with RIFLES at distance
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Maybe you could post the 'results and conditions' from his test for us that don't take the mag to compare?
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on how you define accuracy. IPSC or Bullseye? Varmint hunting or deer? An AR for 3 gun or National Match?

There are people who shoot cast bullets in benchrest competitions. They will use whatever works the best....If you want the best. But sometimes good enough is good enough.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold

Look up FortuneCookie45LC on YouTube. He did a 2 part video series on accuracy and velocity of cast vs sized/lubed and his finding were a draw for both. He has some really good videos. Hope this helps.
    ABS Apprentice Bladesmith
    USMC Veteran
    VFW Life Member

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
    Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
    Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

I have the accurate guns & a Ransom. I am going to do exactly that, test my best loads with PC, HT & conventional lubes & see what is what. I do know that for my needs, PC & HT work just fine. I can smack a 10" steel plate @ 40yds @ high speed, good enough for me.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I have the accurate guns & a Ransom. I am going to do exactly that, test my best loads with PC, HT & conventional lubes & see what is what. I do know that for my needs, PC & HT work just fine. I can smack a 10" steel plate @ 40yds @ high speed, good enough for me.
    Fred,

That would be an interesting study. When I had access to a Ransom Rest, our "standard" was what level of accuracy could be achieved with factory bullets, but most of our work was with cast bullets in .38 Spl. and .45's out of target pistols. We tested different brands and lots of .22's as well. The Ransom Rest is ideal for testing accuracy if it is mounted properly.

Looking forward to your results.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Yes, that will be interesting!

Cdoc