WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: 358 Win Douglass 1 in 12

Boolit Buddy

358 Win Douglass 1 in 12

Had a local 'smith install / chamber a Douglass # 4 on a post 64 Win 70 SA . Have put about 300 rounds of jacketed thru her & it's still a pretty heavy fouler . Like 20 rounds of jacketed & 3 hours to get to bare steel again . I eventually want to shoot cast but wondering what to do to smooth out the bore some more . It's a XX grade should I hand lap , fire lap or put some more jacketed thru her ? FWIW I don't feel any tight spots when cleaning .

Quote Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
    Had a local 'smith install / chamber a Douglass # 4 on a post 64 Win 70 SA . Have put about 300 rounds of jacketed thru her & it's still a pretty heavy fouler . Like 20 rounds of jacketed & 3 hours to get to bare steel again . I eventually want to shoot cast but wondering what to do to smooth out the bore some more . It's a XX grade should I hand lap , fire lap or put some more jacketed thru her ? FWIW I don't feel any tight spots when cleaning .
    FWIW - I put a Douglas XX premium air gauged barrel that I chambered in .260Rem on a Savage action. Never could get it to group under 1 1/4" @ 100 yds. Finally bore scoped it and it has corrosion damage. Not pitting, but enough to ruin the finish and make it copper foul like mad.

I've wasted too much time on it already and have another blank ordered. From another supplier.

I hope your experience turns out better than mine did.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    FWIW - I put a Douglas XX premium air gauged barrel that I chambered in .260Rem on a Savage action. Never could get it to group under 1 1/4" @ 100 yds. Finally bore scoped it and it has corrosion damage. Not pitting, but enough to ruin the finish and make it copper foul like mad.

I've wasted too much time on it already and have another blank ordered. From another supplier.

I hope your experience turns out better than mine did.
    would you attribute that corrosion damage to bad machine coolant ?
    you might remember a few years ago some bad antifreeze made it to market .. Tore up more than a few engines .. I had a ford 1910 tractor damaged by it
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I used old-school dark thread cutting oil, so I am sure it was not a cutting fluid issue.

I did not own a bore scope when I purchased the barrel, so I can not say when the damage occurred. Given that it never shot well and always copper fouled rapidly, I suspect it happened prior to it arriving, but that is purely speculation. I can't say for certain.

How does it shoot? If it's accurate clean and dirty- I wouldn't clean it. But having said that, I don't see any harm in lapping it a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It has definite preference for loads but ones it likes are 1.5 moa or better . I'd say the barrel can shoot it just looks like copper plated RR rails after 20 or so j loads . 'Til it smooths out I'm worried it'll lead even worse . That's why I asked about lapping it .

Those Hornady Swaged lead pistol bullets work great for fire lapping. You want them to go slow so a couple grs of Bullseye or Red Dot or similar will do. Shoot them where you can see the bullet made it out of the barrel. At the least it'll be easier to clean. I'm sure there's a sticky.