WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Cowboy 44 mag advice needed

Boolit Buddy

Cowboy 44 mag advice needed

I'm trying to get ready to try a cowboy silhouette competition and need some advice. I'm using a 20" Rossi M92 in 44 mag. Boolit is a MP 432-640 that weighs 262gr with the small hollowpoint. I tried 7.0gr of Unique based on cowboy data I found on-line. 25, 50 and 75 yd results were fine. At 90 yds, they are unstable and I can't keep them on paper. Looks like I need a bit more velocity, but how much? I need a load that will reach out to 100 yds, but not be too hot for cowboy rules. Any suggestions for how much to increase the Unique charge?

Boolit Grand Master

Try 7.5 and 8 gr Unique at 100 yards.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    What is the twist rate of the rifling in your gun?

just about all Rossi R92's have a 1:30 twist

jd

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    just about all Rossi R92's have a 1:30 twist
    jd
    That's why increasing the Unique charge to 7.5 or 8.0 gr will increase the velocity just enough so the bullet remains stable through 100 yards.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I e-mailed the person who runs the shoot I want to try and got some welcome news. Their velocity limit is 1700-1900 fps depending on bullet type. I thought it was a max of 1400 fps. My normal plinking load of 8.3 gr of Unique with this boolit should work. That's good news because I'm using an old Lee auto disk powder measure and the next smaller cavity size drops a charge that weighs 7.2 gr.

Boolit Grand Master

I’d try dropping bullet weight. You’re gonna want as light a recoil as possible to speed up your shot times.

Boolit Buddy
    This competition has 2 minute rounds of 5 shots each at 40, 50, 75 and 100 yds. It's not a high speed event. It's also supposed to be fun. My other motivation is that it is at a private range I want to join. Their suggestion for trying to join is to come to some competitions and meet some members. The idea is to show them you are serious about safety and get invited to join.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried 8 gr of Unique at 90 yds yesterday. The few that hit paper went through sideways. My prior attempt with the Lee 200 rnfp was worse, so I'm shifting gears. I put the factory rear sight back on my 20" 92 in 357 and will try the Lee 125 rnfp.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Would offer that Unique is a too fast relative burn rate for the 44 Mag.
    Loading data ... http://stevespages.com/429_1_265.html
    Relative Burn Rate Table ... http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Burn%20R...02015-2016.pdf
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, Unique works very well in 44 mag for mild to mid range loads like those suitable for cowboy events or plinking. A load using 2400 or other slow powder is too hot for the competition I want to enter. Besides, 50 rounds of stout 44 mag loads in a 6 lb rifle with a curved metal butt plate is not my idea of fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have thought the lighter bullet would have helped get the velocity up and aided stabilization so that is strange. Might want to check your bullet vs bore size if you have not done that.

Good luck!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Confused here - you say "Cowboy Silhouette" but you are describing "Cowboy Action" - two entirely different animals...

Boolit Master
    All seems very strange.....but unless you know your guns groove dia/bore dia,you have nowhere to start.