Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Sharp leade in chamber?

Boolit Buddy

Sharp leade in chamber?

My 1911's chamber has a sharp transition from the chamber to the freebore then rifling. It's like a 90 degree edge. Could this be responsible for some of my leading issues I've been having? If so, what can be done?

Boolit Grand Master

Send it to Dougguy! Seriously, this is his magic. He will ream that leade - did that and the muzzles for both of my 1911's. Not only that but, after he's done, it will chamber cast boolits easily as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I'd do a chamber cast or a pound cast, make sure you know what you're seeing.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I had this exactly on my Mosin Nagant. Just at the point where the brass ended was a square edge, sharp at the end of the neck. If the nose of the bullet was a smidge too big it shaved a chunk of lead while it was being inserted. Caused chambering issues for most bullets large enough to fill the grooves.

A hardwood dowel, a saw slot cut in the end, a little piece of 0000 steel wool and chucked the dowel in my drill. 5 minutes later there is a smooth curved radius where there was a sharp corner.

No more chambering issues, no more leading. No little lead stalactites hanging off that corner.

For a 1911 I would have a pro do it. For my 150$ Mosin it was more fun to see if I could fix it myself.

Boolit Master

Contact Doug! His basic accuracy package for semi autos (polish, throat and crown) is a bargain and should be figured into the purchase price of any cast shooter. He can also customs throat it for specialty loads. Wanna shoot brand X 260 grain bullets at X oal for bowling pin shoots? Send him some dummy loads and he can make it happen!
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Your 45 ACP headspaces on that edge, it's supposed to be that way. That's why you should size and use cast bullets not larger than the diameter of the throat. The oal should be adjusted so the ogive or the front drive band of the cast bullet centers the bullet in the throat on chambering.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla