Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: New Daisy 880

New Daisy 880

Lol, i have 3 new air rifles now and haven't bought one myself yet.
    My gf got me a 392 and a 1377...one for birthday and the other for Christmas.

Today i recieved a Walmart gift card from my brother in Co. with instructions to go buy a Daisy 880.
    He has several airguns, but the only one he has two alike of is the 880....one scoped and one for iron sight shooting.

I had one with metal reciever back in the early 80's and it was a shooter for sure. I turned it over to my sons, so it's long gone now.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about them over the last couple of years...mostly good, but a lot of complaints about the plastic or composite stocks and a hard trigger.

I couldn't believe what came out of the box for $35.00!
    The finish on the reisin or plastic reciever actually looks great and seems very sturdy for what it is.
    The scope rails seem to line up centered with the top of the bbl. shroud and it actually has very usable sights with the front being very straight with no lean to one side or the other and has a white dot on it.
    Of course the rear is adjustable for windage and elevation and is metal. The ramp it sits on for elevation adj. is reisin or nylon, or whatever the reciever is made from i guess.

Considering what the reciever is made from, i'm sure care should be taken if taking apart for trigger work, modding, or whatever, to keep from stripping the screw holes out, but i get no sense that anything is going to fly apart from normal usage.
    The fitting of the stocks(forend and shoulder) is well fit to the reciever with an excellent fit where they all come together.

The bolt cocks the gun very positively and inspite of what i've read, i had no problems rolling the pellets into place. You do have to cock the bolt to place the gun on safe or to pump air into it.
    The trigger on mine is great as far as i'm concerned. Yes it does feel pre-loaded and has a bit of travel....but, you can "feel" when it tightens up...at that point it breaks clean with very little pressure at all.

It was dark when i got it home, but had to try it out. I just set up a target at 5 yds. and put the first 5 daisy wad cutters in a slightly rounded hole. I was sitting on the floor with rifle rested on a chair with my rear bag under the forend.
    I did flare the skirts on the daisy's with a ball point pen a bit.
    The sights came already adjusted to dead center and about 1/2" low.
    Crosman 10.5 gr. piranah's did the same and crosman hp's went into about a 1/4" hole at a perfect 6 o'clock right where the sights were.
    Yeah, just 5 yds. so far, but before long i'll run it from 20 to 50 yds. and report on it.

Again, for $35.00 i'm impressed so far with fit, finish, and the fact the sights were centered out of the box. Looks like China is taking some time and care putting these little guns together?

Shooting at distance will tell me more very soon, as in do i need to tape mod. the bbl. under the shroud, or do something about the trigger, etc.
    We'll see if the accuracy falls apart at distance first.

Boolit Master
    I'm a 880 fan of old I still have my cast metal receiver on which I put a rifled barrel on. There was a time they stopped putting rifled barrels on for some reason. I have had 3 plastic 880s over the years also.
    I agree for -$50 they are pretty good. Although if you actual use it the plastic. Stock will eventually loosen. The scope rail will eventually loose its grip. I found buying one of the 3/8 to 7/8 rail adapters like this spread out the gripping area.
    https://www.eio.com/utg-mnt-pmtowl-l...IaAtILEALw_wcB
    I never really did much trigger work on mine. Reason being is trigger design the trigger pulls on a air vavle and the trigger does not really snap the valve open. So when you do a traditional squeeze of the trigger your going to have the potential of slowly letting air out before the valve snaps open from the stored air pressure. I take up the bit of trigger slack then just pop off the shot. Its a aweful design to teach trigger control on.
    Check the crown and secure the barrel a bit better and they shoot pretty darn well

I still have old 880 with cast receiver and pump . I gave away my plastic 880s to a younger inspiring air gunner.
    Last edited by mac1911; 02-21-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    [...] put the first 5 daisy wad cutters in a slightly rounded hole. I was sitting on the floor with rifle rested on a chair with my rear bag under the forend.
    Crosman 10.5 gr. piranah's did the same and crosman hp's went into about a 1/4" hole at a perfect 6 o'clock right where the sights were.
    Yeah, just 5 yds. so far, but before long i'll run it from 20 to 50 yds. and report on it.
    Just as a FYI moving forward; I have done /extensive/ testing with over 30 different pellet styles (7 different brands & a total inventory of nearly 30,000) in my 4 best airguns (Daisy/Aventi 717 & 853, Baikal IZH-46M, Diana M27), and Daisy-branded pellets (while inexpensive) were consistently the worst.
    (For what its worth, my best two airguns (scoped) deliver consistent 0.15" (c-c) 5-shot groups at 15 yards from a benchrest with their preferred pellets - very respectable for what are still relatively-budget platforms.)

While RWS pellets tend to perform well, their cost is on the high side. For a budget pellet, the entire Gamo line test very well indeed, while Crosman provide better accuracy at a somewhat higher price. Many folks suggest JSB's (for good reason), but I have found that their cost is on the higher side so haven't tested their line at all.
    If I could purchase & evaluate only two brands of pellets, it would be Gamo & Crosman.

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-21-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I upgraded a modern 880 by adapting the metal receiver and pump arm to fit. Its accurate beyond belief.

I've been using an old BSA 3-7X but recently removed it to use on another rifle till I find the proper scope for it.
    The iron sights have held their zero so I'll be using those for awhile.

Shot out to 25 yds. this evening just before dark. It was cloudy and had crosswinds, but i tried to shoot in between the wind.

I haven't cleaned the bbl. and it probably needs to break in a bit. I tried crosman piranah's, crosman hp, and the daisy wadcutters again, and at 20 and 25 yds. the cheap daisy's won out again....as long as i took the time to flare the skirts a bit.
    While not a tackdriver at this point, the daisy wadcutters were holding in a half inch or a bit better 5 shot groups with as many as 3 shots cuttiing into one ragged hole each time.
    My 392 and 1377 won't shoot the daisys that well, but will drive nails with the crosmans.
    In the 880 the crosmans didn't fare as well. I'd have 4 in a half inch or better, but one of the five would be as much as an inch out to one side. It's possible the wind was catching me sometimes with the crosmans as i was doping the wind as best i could, but was shooting quicker at that point because it was getting dark quick.
    I'll try the piranahs again when i have better light and a calmer day...winds were really gusting this evening, so it really wasn't a fair test.
    I probably need some more trigger time on this one too, as it is a rather long pull before it shoots. I guess i could be getting a little torque on it by the time it breaks.
    I have to say it's hard to make any excuses at this point though, as i was shooting the daisy's under the same conditions(though with a bit more daylight) and they were definitely banging "right in there".

The iron(plastic front) sights are well defined and easy for my old eyes to see and get centered on target and the rifle's shot cycle is so smooth, i couldn't see any movement on trigger break on target...it just doesn't seem to move at all at the shot.

The last thing i did was to shoot 3 shots with the daisys at the bottom of a 12 oz. coke can at 20yds. and had 2 cutting half into each other and 1 slightly to the right about 3/8" center to center.
    So easy to pump, very quite and smooth shooting, and pretty accurate right out of the box with a pellet it likes.....not much more i could expect for $35.00 lol!
    Color me still impressed with the 880.

Okay,

How do you guys store your 880? I like to leave a pump in my pneumatics, but on the 880 it has to be cocked to put a pump of air in.
    Does it hurt to leave it cocked with a pump of air in the valve for storage?

I shot indoors at 10 yds. tonight with the daisy wadcutters again. There is no doubt they can shoot into a 5 shot hole about the size of a .22 cal. wadcutter to the size of a standard #2 pencil eraser even with the iron sights at that range....when i do MY part.
    Of course so can the 392 and 1377(with shoulder stock attatched), but i'm surprised at one of the cheapest air rifles on the market doing that with one of the cheapest pellets.

Got about a week of squirrel season left here. I hope i can get out and do some hunting with it before the season goes out.

Boolit Master
    Okay,

How do you guys store your 880? I like to leave a pump in my pneumatics, but on the 880 it has to be cocked to put a pump of air in.
    Does it hurt to leave it cocked with a pump of air in the valve for storage?

I shot indoors at 10 yds. tonight with the daisy wadcutters again. There is no doubt they can shoot into a 5 shot hole about the size of a .22 cal. wadcutter to the size of a standard #2 pencil eraser even with the iron sights at that range....when i do MY part.
    Of course so can the 392 and 1377(with shoulder stock attatched), but i'm surprised at one of the cheapest air rifles on the market doing that with one of the cheapest pellets.

Got about a week of squirrel season left here. I hope i can get out and do some hunting with it before the season goes out.
    Have fun I found the crossman premier that come in the 1250ct card board box to run very well in a lot of my pellet guns.
    The 10.5 grain with 8 pumps takes the invading critters at 25 yards well enough.
    I also like the RSW was cutters.
    One thing to note is the pump stroke. I like to listen for the swoosh on the up stroke and wait till it stops then pump . 5 pumps is my accuracy zone for my 880.
    Have to dig mine out now...it takes a back seat to accuracy against the daisy 853

Boolit Master
    I don't think the dump valve of the 880 would be adversely effected by leaving the gun cocked.

Beeman coated wad cutters work best on my 880.

Okay, thanks Multigunner. Can't wait to shoot at distance with it some more.

mc1911,
    I think the scope rail is a very good idea for a solid scope mount on this one...thanks. I've never tried the crosmans in the cardboard boxes...i need to order some and try them.
    And yes, i am having fun with this little rifle.

Kestrel4k,
    You mentioned jsb pellets. I've only tried them one time, and that was in my 392. They seemed a softer lead than crosmans and did indeed shoot lights out in that rifle.
    Lol, the crosman piranahs shot just as well really and i can get them locally, so i stuck with them.
    The daisy wadcutters are doing great all the way to 30 yds. in the 880(haven't shot any further yet) as long as i take the time to flare the skirts before shooting them.
    I've always heard wadcutters don't hold up well at longer ranges though, but i'll try them at 40 and 50 yds. just to see.

Boolit Master
    mc1911,
    I think the scope rail is a very good idea for a solid scope mount on this one...thanks. I've never tried the crosmans in the cardboard boxes...i need to order some and try them.
    And yes, i am having fun with this little rifle.

Kestrel4k,
    You mentioned jsb pellets. I've only tried them one time, and that was in my 392. They seemed a softer lead than crosmans and did indeed shoot lights out in that rifle.
    Lol, the crosman piranahs shot just as well really and i can get them locally, so i stuck with them.
    The daisy wadcutters are doing great all the way to 30 yds. in the 880(haven't shot any further yet) as long as i take the time to flare the skirts before shooting them.
    I've always heard wadcutters don't hold up well at longer ranges though, but i'll try them at 40 and 50 yds. just to see.
    30 yards has been about as far as was cutters do well for me.
    I'm a JSB fan but for fun plinking in the 880 I don't think the gain is worth the price.
    I like dome pellets best

My Daisy WC did well in my pistols at 10-12 yards .But not as I would like out of my rifles at 25 - 30 yards . So I tried Winchester domes in the rifles and all but the Gauntlet like them . Seem to take birds out to 50 yards ok . Better quality than the Daisy and not that much more in cost . CPH do a little better and The Gauntlet likes them . Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    My Daisy WC did well in my pistols at 10-12 yards .But not as I would like out of my rifles at 25 - 30 yards . So I tried Winchester domes in the rifles and all but the Gauntlet like them . Seem to take birds out to 50 yards ok . Better quality than the Daisy and not that much more in cost . CPH do a little better and The Gauntlet likes them . Marvin
    I want to try some domed pellets in .177, but will have to order some. No one locally seems to carry any.

My brother gave me some 16 gr. jsb domes in .22 for my 392 and they shot fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    30 yards has been about as far as was cutters do well for me.
    I'm a JSB fan but for fun plinking in the 880 I don't think the gain is worth the price.
    I like dome pellets best
    Don't have any domes right now, but talk about fun plinking with a 880....i just ran a bunch of gamo lead round balls through the bb mag.
    Just cycle them in with the bolt, put the safety on, pump, safety off, shoot....too much fun and accurate indoors at 10 yds.

My 1377 shoots them really well, but i don't think the 880 is going to shoot quite as tight with them.
    Maybe i can get in from work tommorrow in time to try them outside at more distance and in good light.
    At my age i need all the light i can get for irons, but in the right conditions i can still do pretty well with them.

Got to do a little shooting this afternoon before a rain. I was testing the crosman piranahs again and knew i wouldn't be able to see paper targets very well with the cloud cover.
    I set up 12 oz. coke cans laid on the ground with nothing but the silver bottom showing from 20 to 35 yds.(glad i already had it sighted in on paper)

From a bench rest i was about 3/8" high at 20 yds., about the same at 25, dead on at 6:00 on top of the sight at 30, and dead on the sight at 35 yds.
    I took 2 quick shots at 40 yds. and tried to hold center of can bottom and both shots hit about 3/8" above the bottom of the can side by side about a 1/2" apart...so maybe a 1" drop below the sight at 40. All shots were at a full 10 pumps.
    I really wanted to try for 50 yds. today, so of course it started raining pretty hard at that point and had to quit.
    Probably just as well, as by that time i had strained my eyes with the iron sights enough i was seeing a can and a half where there was only one can.....getting old is not for sissies!

Anyway, this little daisy seems to be proving to be just as accurate as my
    My only real complaint so far is that long stacking trigger pull, and the fact i had to run the elevation ladder all the way to the top on the rear sight to get it sighted in....no more elevation.

Lol, i have 3 new air rifles now and haven't bought one myself yet.
    My gf got me a 392 and a 1377...one for birthday and the other for Christmas.

Today i recieved a Walmart gift card from my brother in Co. with instructions to go buy a Daisy 880.
    He has several airguns, but the only one he has two alike of is the 880....one scoped and one for iron sight shooting.

I had one with metal reciever back in the early 80's and it was a shooter for sure. I turned it over to my sons, so it's long gone now.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about them over the last couple of years...mostly good, but a lot of complaints about the plastic or composite stocks and a hard trigger.

I couldn't believe what came out of the box for $35.00!
    The finish on the reisin or plastic reciever actually looks great and seems very sturdy for what it is.
    The scope rails seem to line up centered with the top of the bbl. shroud and it actually has very usable sights with the front being very straight with no lean to one side or the other and has a white dot on it.
    Of course the rear is adjustable for windage and elevation and is metal. The ramp it sits on for elevation adj. is reisin or nylon, or whatever the reciever is made from i guess.

Considering what the reciever is made from, i'm sure care should be taken if taking apart for trigger work, modding, or whatever, to keep from stripping the screw holes out, but i get no sense that anything is going to fly apart from normal usage.
    The fitting of the stocks(forend and shoulder) is well fit to the reciever with an excellent fit where they all come together.

The bolt cocks the gun very positively and inspite of what i've read, i had no problems rolling the pellets into place. You do have to cock the bolt to place the gun on safe or to pump air into it.
    The trigger on mine is great as far as i'm concerned. Yes it does feel pre-loaded and has a bit of travel....but, you can "feel" when it tightens up...at that point it breaks clean with very little pressure at all.

It was dark when i got it home, but had to try it out. I just set up a target at 5 yds. and put the first 5 daisy wad cutters in a slightly rounded hole. I was sitting on the floor with rifle rested on a chair with my rear bag under the forend.

Again, for $35.00 i'm impressed so far with fit, finish, and the fact the sights were centered out of the box. Looks like China is taking some time and care putting these little guns together?

Shooting at distance will tell me more very soon, as in do i need to tape mod. the bbl. under the shroud, or do something about the trigger, etc.
    We'll see if the accuracy falls apart at distance first.
    gf got two airs for you? Lucky bastard)

392 is pretty good in stock tho

Had a little front sight problem develope on the 880. As i've shot it more the front sight began to get a little slop where it fits in the shroud and would move slightly to the right every time i fired it.
    As long as i took the time to move it back to the left each shot it was still stacking pellets.

Since the front sight is also a tube that fits on the bbl., i got worried the bbl. was actually turning. I took the rifle apart and pulled the shroud and front sight off the bbl. and the the bbl. wouldn't move at all in the reciever, so i knew the bbl. wasn't the problem.

I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the bbl. and worked the front sight back on top of that, slipped the shroud back on and put the rifle back together.
    The sight still had just a bit of play, so it's the fit of the sight in the shroud that's loose. A couple of wraps of tape on the bottom of the sight and between it and the shroud would fix that up, or maybe a couple more wraps on the bbl.....but, it's shooting fantastic right where it is.
    I was hesitant to tear it all back down to do anymore to it, so i just put a couple of wraps of electric tape around the front of the sight and the shroud
    to hold it for now.

With that little better fit between the bbl. and sight tube, it's shooting better than before, so there was probably a little vibration going on the shot before between the bbl. and sight, or sight and shroud, or all three.
    Sometime in the future i'll go back into it and fit the sight to the shroud from the inside, but not till i'm ready to do a trigger mod on it.

My brother found a trigger mod. on the internet somewhere and did it to both of his 880s and says it takes up all the travel in the trigger and makes it pretty much a light single stage.
    It consists of an aluminum (coke can) shim behind the trigger and lays against the back of the trigger and from one side of the inside of the stock to the other.
    I can't see iron sights like i used to anymore, but shot a couple of 3 and 5 shot groups at 30 yds. in the just under and just over 1/2" realm.
    Can't wait to try a scope on it.
    3 shot groups were right at 3/8" and the 5 shot groups were .5" to .6"
    No i don't do that everyday with MY eyes, but today they were back to back,so the little rifle is capable and evidently has a very good bbl. on it.
    Can't wait to try a scope on it.

The trigger is the only hold back that i can see on these little rifles, other than the fact the gun itself is so light for good offhand distance shooting.
    From any kind of improvised rest you can drive a nail with it though.

If you don't mind doing a bit of tinkering, these little guns can shoot amazingly well.
    Before i did the tape mod. to the bbl., it had quit shooting the daisy wadcutters so well (i guess bbl. vibration against the sight?). After the tape mod. it's back to shooting all my pellets very well indeed.

Oops, just realized I made a mistake on the yardage in my last post. That was at 25 yds., not 30.

I put the little cheap scope that comes with the 880s on last night. Just about had to unscrew the ocular lens all the way off to get the croshairs adjusted to my eyes lol.
    I just snugged the screws down barely tight on the plastic rails and no more and it's holding zero fine for now.
    It's not a leupold for sure, but suprisingly got the job done well enough to tell me this little rifle is a shooter for sure and deserves some better glass on it.

5 shot groups at 20 yds. with crosman piranahs 10.5 gr. pellets were well under a half inch at mostly 3/8" center to center and gamo redfires were just a ragged hole not much more than 1/4" if that around.

To sum this whole thread up, i would just say that an airgunner on a budget could do a lot worse than giving the 880 a try.
    Lol, i'm going back to my local walmart soon for pellets and i think i'll pick up two more of these 880s while their still $35.00....one for my gf's grandson and another one to put a good scope on for myself.
    I just hope they all shoot as well as the one i have now.