Titan ReloadingADvertise hereRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionGraf & SonsInline Fabrication

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 164

Thread: My winter Rolling Block Projet

  1. #61
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Outside Rolla, Missouri
    Posts
    679
    I can't answer your question about the hammer pressure but, an observation...that thing screams to be re-case hardened!!! Is that on the list? Leaving the hammer and breech block in the white would be a nice contrast.
    "In general, the art of government is to take as much money as possible from one class of citizens and give it to another class of citizens" Voltaire'

    The common virtue of capitalism is the sharing of equal opportunity. The common vice of socialism is the equal sharing of misery

    NRA Benefactor 2008

  2. #62
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    244
    I think the reason behind the robust mainspring was to keep the hammer forward in case of a ruptured primer. they must have had some problems, so they also designed that unique gas vent in the breech block. Some of the later commercial Husqvarna r-blocks had "safety hammers", and my Larsens Vaabenforr rolling block also has an odd little safety hammer beside the big hammer.
    On my 8mm the b-block is fitted so tightly that I don't think it would fire 100% of the time if I lightened the mainspring very much,but maybe one could after a few thousand rounds.

  3. #63
    Boolit Master marlinman93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,188
    I've been told the heavy hammer pressure was designed to ensure the hammer didn't get caught on anything and cock the firearm. It also ensures a heavy strike regardless of any other issues. It is not necessary to be that heavy for what we use these guns for today.
    I use my belt sander to remove width off the mainspring, but make sure I stay away from both ends of the spring. I also keep a can of water handy, and don't wear gloves while working the spring down. If I can't hold it while removing metal, it's getting too hot, so I cool it often. I also try the spring often during removal of metal, to see how it feels. Takes time to reinstall it and test, but it's the only way to know it's correct as I go.
    I also remove the trigger return spring and make a new one from .045" piano wire to replace the flat spring. My reworked trigger springs give me about a 2.5 lb. trigger, and feel great with a lightened mainspring. Use a good oil on all the mating surfaces too. I like Kroil, and it alone will reduce felt pull on the trigger when applied.

  4. #64
    Boolit Master OlDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    I can't answer your question about the hammer pressure but, an observation...that thing screams to be re-case hardened!!! Is that on the list? Leaving the hammer and breech block in the white would be a nice contrast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I think the reason behind the robust mainspring was to keep the hammer forward in case of a ruptured primer. they must have had some problems, so they also designed that unique gas vent in the breech block. Some of the later commercial Husqvarna r-blocks had "safety hammers", and my Larsens Vaabenforr rolling block also has an odd little safety hammer beside the big hammer.
    On my 8mm the b-block is fitted so tightly that I don't think it would fire 100% of the time if I lightened the mainspring very much,but maybe one could after a few thousand rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I've been told the heavy hammer pressure was designed to ensure the hammer didn't get caught on anything and cock the firearm. It also ensures a heavy strike regardless of any other issues. It is not necessary to be that heavy for what we use these guns for today.
    I use my belt sander to remove width off the mainspring, but make sure I stay away from both ends of the spring. I also keep a can of water handy, and don't wear gloves while working the spring down. If I can't hold it while removing metal, it's getting too hot, so I cool it often. I also try the spring often during removal of metal, to see how it feels. Takes time to reinstall it and test, but it's the only way to know it's correct as I go.
    I also remove the trigger return spring and make a new one from .045" piano wire to replace the flat spring. My reworked trigger springs give me about a 2.5 lb. trigger, and feel great with a lightened mainspring. Use a good oil on all the mating surfaces too. I like Kroil, and it alone will reduce felt pull on the trigger when applied.


    Thank you all This is Great info..I'm really having a great time working with this Ol'Roller ,

    Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

  5. #65
    Boolit Master marlinman93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,188
    Rollers are my favorite action for rifle builds, and for multiple reasons! First being so plentiful. Then the low price of good used military actions! Ease of swapping parts, and fitting parts. Only drawbacks are the occasionally eroded firing pin holes in breech blocks, and the occasional worn blocks that need work to align perpendicular to the bore. But there's no other old single shot action that's as reasonable to build a complete rifle on!

  6. #66
    Boolit Master MOA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, formally from Arizona Territory.
    Posts
    485
    I'm getting a little worried guys. My mind is refusing to stop thinking about all the possible cartridges I can build these inexpensive RB to shoot. I'm thinking about getting a small battery if they avail themselves in Simpson's inventory for a 45 colt, 38 spcl, maybe even a 45-70 kurz.. Between the 30 WCF case and the 45-70 case you have a wealth of candidates.

  7. #67
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I'm getting a little worried guys. My mind is refusing to stop thinking about all the possible cartridges I can build these inexpensive RB to shoot. I'm thinking about getting a small battery if they avail themselves in Simpson's inventory for a 45 colt, 38 spcl, maybe even a 45-70 kurz.. Between the 30 WCF case and the 45-70 case you have a wealth of candidates.
    I, for one, am very interested in how "inexpensive" the completed rifle ends up being. As mentioned earlier, I have both an 8 and 12.7MM. When I started putting together the cost of a new barrel, stocks, sights, blueing, etc....."inexpensive" was passed pretty quickly!!

  8. #68
    Boolit Master OlDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I'm getting a little worried guys. My mind is refusing to stop thinking about all the possible cartridges I can build these inexpensive RB to shoot. I'm thinking about getting a small battery if they avail themselves in Simpson's inventory for a 45 colt, 38 spcl, maybe even a 45-70 kurz.. Between the 30 WCF case and the 45-70 case you have a wealth of candidates.
    MOA..............How about something like this


    Ol Deuce ...............LoL
    Do the Best with What you have !

  9. #69
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southwest MO.
    Posts
    1,644
    You dogs! I had never heard of simpsons. The salesman said he would try to ship mine out tomorrow.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

  10. #70
    Boolit Master OlDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    You dogs! I had never heard of simpsons. The salesman said he would try to ship mine out tomorrow.
    Great Place.............Did Dave take your call???? We are going to have a "Roller Party" LoL Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

  11. #71
    Boolit Master MOA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, formally from Arizona Territory.
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    MOA..............How about something like this


    Ol Deuce ...............LoL
    Yo Man, right on. Now that's what I'm talking.

  12. #72
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southwest MO.
    Posts
    1,644
    The salesman didn't say his name. I plan on trying to shoot mine as is. It said the bore was fair. But I suspect it will end up as a 35 Krag.

    Graf's has dies but too pricey for me. I'll just make my own. Looks like there are several options to make brass from if I can't find any. I love these old guns but never could afford one. I also love projects. I'm giddy as a schoolgirl!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

  13. #73
    Boolit Master WILCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Where there is lots of things to do.
    Posts
    5,565
    Congratulations Wolfer!
    Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful. - Albert Schweitzer

    Yeah, I love cast iron cookware.

    Life is too short. Live yours to the fullest.

  14. #74
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Outside Rolla, Missouri
    Posts
    679
    Wolfer, many clichés and adage's are appropriate here; First step down a slippery slope, the camel's nose is in the tent....etc.....
    "In general, the art of government is to take as much money as possible from one class of citizens and give it to another class of citizens" Voltaire'

    The common virtue of capitalism is the sharing of equal opportunity. The common vice of socialism is the equal sharing of misery

    NRA Benefactor 2008

  15. #75
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    244
    Before anyone rebarrels one of the 12.7x 44 rifles, I would urge you to give it a fair shooting trial, because it is a very good cartridge which can be reloaded with 50-70 dies and slightly altered 50-70 cases. I bought one advertised with a "fair" bore , and used it to shoot a CBA 100yd record score, so they will shoot,even if the bore is not pristine. It kind of lobs them in, so I call it my "Swedish mortar"

  16. #76
    Boolit Master Jedman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    NW OH Oak Openings Area
    Posts
    300
    I just picked up a No. 1 Remington RB that was converted to a 20 ga. shotgun a long time ago.
    The way I could tell is if you remove the forend there is a dovetail cut on the bottomside of the barrel where it was once a rifle and was reindexed 180 degrees and rebored to 20 ga.

    The gun functions fine as a shotgun and has a 30" barrel but has no choke so cylinder bore.
    I am thinking of rebarreling it to 50-70 as I already have a barrel and have several other 50-70's and handload for it already.

    Problem is I have a bunch of other project guns that need finished and I don't know if it would be worth more to leave it as a shotgun compared to a non original rebarreled short rifle ?

    Does anyone have a opinion on the way they would go with this idea, Leave it as a shotgun or rebarrel it to a 50-70. The conversion would cost me very little except time .

    Jedman

  17. #77
    Boolit Master MOA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, formally from Arizona Territory.
    Posts
    485
    Jedman, if I were in your shoes, I'd leave it on the back burner for now, knowing it is still there for a rainy day and complete some of the other projects.

  18. #78
    you don't even have to ask..........50-70gov. i have today's counterpart, 500 linebaugh in a 24" tc encore barrel.

  19. #79
    excuse me for asking, what kind of pressure (p.s.i. or c.u.p.) does a rolling block handle?

    i am asking if a 40-65 winchester with smokeless loads will work?

  20. #80
    Boolit Master marlinman93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    excuse me for asking, what kind of pressure (p.s.i. or c.u.p.) does a rolling block handle?

    i am asking if a 40-65 winchester with smokeless loads will work?
    Even the older BP actions will handle .40-65 smokeless loads if you don't get crazy. A smokeless action is even stronger and is rated quite a bit higher. I'd generally keep loads with BP under 30,000 cup, and most of mine are closer to 20,000.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check