Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: My winter Rolling Block Projet

Boolit Buddy
    Holy! That's a beautiful spread of Rollers!

Banned

that one there brings a tear to my eye!!!!!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    marlinman93,
    What a super nice collection. I just love images of these great rollers. How long have you been collecting them, and do you have to travel many miles to find these treasures? Or do you find them online? I really like the #4 three barrel set and a barrel for 25 stevens to boot....what a hoot. I'm such a piker, but one has to start somewhere huh.

I've found many of these right here at home; well over half. The three barrel set belonged to a friend who got older and wanted to find a good home. The other engraved #4 belonged to my friend Bob Evans, a guild engraver, and a gun he did very early as an engraver. When he asked if I was interested, I couldn't get my money out fast enough! I only told him I wanted him to sign it first, as he never had.
    Others have come from places like the Big Reno Show, and Denver's CGCA show. Interesting to me was finding that .22 #1 Rolling Block that I mentioned as historically significant to me. I found it in Reno, Nv. and the seller was from just 15 miles away from my home here in Oregon. Driving 600 miles to a show and buying from a local guy was humorous to me. The gun was owned originally by a prominent Oregon Territory pioneer. He and his family had a huge part in settling in Oregon Territory, and making it what it became later as a state. EC Hackett is the owner's name, and he was one of the first deputy sheriff's here. He also was mayor of Oregon City, and county recorder until his death in the 1930's. His home is on the National Historic Landmark registry, and the End of the Oregon Trail marker sits in his front yard. Neither the seller or I had any knowledge of the gun's history at the time I bought it. I discovered EC Hackett's name under the forearm when I began taking it apart to salvage the action. Once I figured out who he was, I quickly changed gears and knew the gun had to be saved from restoration. That gun will be donated to the Oregon City Museum someday, but for now I'll enjoy it.
    I've collected Rolling Blocks since I was in high school over 50 years ago. Longer than my interest in Marlin Ballard rifles even! Early on it as military versions, as they were plentiful and cheap. Later I discovered the Sporting Rifles, and sold my military models as I fell in love with the look of the Sporting Rifle.
    I'm still actively searching for Sporters, but don't find them unaltered too often. The early round top Sporter above was a recent find last year. Looked for one of these for decades, but considering only about 1500 or so exist, they are even tougher to find, and rarely good enough to shoot as the one I found in Denver is.

Boolit Master
    Wow!!!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910