Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My winter Rolling Block Projet

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Welcome aboard ratsass, many of us will be following your progress reports on Randy's projects with much interest.

We can only hope for someone to share in our passions enough to carry them through to fruition, when we no longer can.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    We can only hope for someone to share in our passions enough to carry them through to fruition, when we no longer can.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Welcome aboard Ratsass.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

And that's the last we heard from Ratsass in 9 months. Wonder how he's doing on Randy' s project?

Banned
    yes it would, MOA.

Hope his good intentions didn't fall by the wayside once he discovered what it costs if you can't do the work yourself?

Well I sent a email off to Dave Manson yesterday re Randy's possible reamer and any other information that he may have on the tapered 30-30 case that Randy was going to use as his wildcat cartridge. I will also reach out to Ratsass to see where he is at with the project and what his future plan is for the project. Will keep you all updated as I get more information.

The last activity Ratsass had on this site was Nov 25 of last year. I've just sent him a email to see if he will let me know how he is coming along with Randy's project.

I just got email from Randy's wife. The gentleman that was going to finish Randy's project had some health issues not long after Randy died. So, the project was sold to the gunsmith that was fitting Randy's barrel to the action l think last August, so I guess we will never know how the project has ended, other than it ended unfinished by Randy.

Guess it's not all bad if the gunsmith bought it. Just no ending to the story for us.

Boolit Master
    This was the thread that got me started down this particular rabbit hole. I reread it from time to time and feel a loss every time. I didn’t know Randy but I know he was excited about this project and it saddens me that he didn’t get to finish it. I realize also the same thing will probably happen to many of us that can’t stay out of rabbit holes.

Maybe.....I'm waiting to hear back from Dave Manson reamers about the reamer Randy said he had ordered for this project. I took some screenshots of Randys drawing on his tapered 30-30 case, which I sent to Dave. Hopefully I'll hear back something positive this coming week. I know which barrel Randy ordered from Green Mountain, so I have that covered. Looked at Snowy this morning and nice gallery of case hardening. We'll just have to see where this goes. I am leaning toward a lyman peep sight on this go-round I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    This was the thread that got me started down this particular rabbit hole. I reread it from time to time and feel a loss every time. I didn’t know Randy but I know he was excited about this project and it saddens me that he didn’t get to finish it. I realize also the same thing will probably happen to many of us that can’t stay out of rabbit holes.
    Yes, I too got sent down this rabbit hole by Randy also, who know maybe someday if I catchup with him we'll have a few words about all this roller fun. I still plan on doing a roller in a slim octagon about 16 inches chambered in 45 Colt. Lord, just give me a little more time is all I need.

All these are Randy's fault.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swede rolling blocks 002.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	233898

And I still have one more coming.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 also. An 8 mm a 12. 7 and my soon to be 40-65. I’m always on the lookout for more. How many is too many or is that an infinite number?

I want a 67/89 in 38-55 and another in 45 colt.
    I called and killed a coyote this year with the 8mm and killed a deer with the 50. While hunting I noticed I was carrying a rifle made in 1875 and a pistol type that was designed in 1873. I guess I’m just not a modern man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    I have 3 also. An 8 mm a 12. 7 and my soon to be 40-65. I’m always on the lookout for more. How many is too many or is that an infinite number?

I want a 67/89 in 38-55 and another in 45 colt.
    I called and killed a coyote this year with the 8mm and killed a deer with the 50. While hunting I noticed I was carrying a rifle made in 1875 and a pistol type that was designed in 1873. I guess I’m just not a modern man.
    Ho,ho,ho. Be ever so glad your not a modern man.........you just might get your skirts all messed up when off hunting in the woods.

I've been a big Rolling Block fan for decades! They just have such a huge place in firearms history, and are still the least expensive source for a single shot rifle build. I've got several I've built up, plus some I purchased that were already built up. Some were cheaper to buy finished than some good actions I've purchased. Some rifles I bought complete to make into projects with their actions have ended up being left alone since they were too nice to alter.
    This one was an original Rolling Block Sporting action I got in a trade with a friend, and ended up being a full round .40-65 barreled rifle.

This is one I bought to steal the action off, but turned out to be a historically significant gun, so I repaired the wood and metal issues and saved it. It was a mess of broken wood, extra holes, poorly done dovetails, and ugly. But it had a nicely lined .22LR bore, and shot fantastic.

This one is an original that needed nothing. A .44-77SBN with 34" extra heavy barrel, and set trigger.

This one is a Whitney-Laidley 1st Model with the Laidley system breech block. It had been D&T for Stevens 1.5" tang sight spacing, so a friend built me a new tang sight base for a staff I had here.

This one is a dainty little #4 with 3 barrels fitted to it. .22 Short, .22 LR, and .25 Stevens RF.

This one is another .22 LR with match chamber.

This one is .44 Long CF.

Husqvarna Type 33 in 9.5x52R

A #2 in .32-20.

A Danish Carl Gustav in 11.7 the Danish equivalent of our .45-70, and uses .45-70 cases to make the cartridge.

Another Sporting Rifle in .40-50SS with half octagon barrel.

An early 3 digit Sporting Rifle in .44 Long CF.

And lastly my #4 Roller engraved by my friend RObert Evans.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast