Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My winter Rolling Block Projet

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I, for one, am very interested in how "inexpensive" the completed rifle ends up being. As mentioned earlier, I have both an 8 and 12.7MM. When I started putting together the cost of a new barrel, stocks, sights, blueing, etc....."inexpensive" was passed pretty quickly!!
    It's all relative, but it's less expensive than even buying a new Pedersoli Rolling Block, unless you pay someone to do every step. I found Gunstocks Inc. to be the least expensive source for stock sets at under $100 for pretty decent walnut. He has better for more, but not necessary unless you want prettier.
    Barrels are about $280 from Green Mountain, but for $200 you can get a BRC barrel that's a little more accurate. It will cost about $150 to have a barrel fitted to the frame. Rust bluing and color case will usually run me about $225-$250, but some places will charge as high as $500 for rust bluing the barrel and CCH the receiver. Sights are all over the place, depending on what you buy. But I don't count that since I'd buy sights no matter what I purchased.
    So for under $300 for a donor gun, and another less than $600 I can have one ready to go, except for sights. And it will be exactly how I want it, vs. whatever I can find at $1300 or more.

Me barrel arrived this afternoon !!! Nice Barrel !! So Tomorrow we will get her in if all goes well !!! I'm Liking this project a lot !!! Still in Budget!
    The ream was needed to do this project ,but the expense for the ream isn't wasted !!!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Deuce , what diamensions did you get you barrel shank in? Also does it have any taper at all?

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like fun. I've done 1885 Winchesters, Borchardts, Ballards and Martinis, but never a roller. Those Swedish actions are a nice place to start. I like that cartridge, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Deuce , what diamensions did you get you barrel shank in? Also does it have any taper at all?
    MOA.... the barrel is a Green Mountain 308 x26'' twist is 1:10 with a 1 1/2'' shank it tapered 1.20 to .95
    I'll post a picture !! The Barrel Really looks good it was $200 + ship

Ol Deuce

Last edited by OlDeuce; 03-01-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Thanks Deuce, I'm still waiting for the truck to show up with mine, and I am looking to get a jump on it as I know you understand. So thought it was easiest to know what size shank is going to fit these actions since I am looking around to see what is in the offering from GM and others. Am also still thinking of playing with a necked down and shortened 45-70 case for a number of wildcats, just need some custom taper dies to resize the cases to a .323 boolit and then have the dies made. Keep the original barrel and just have it reamed to a new chamber using the new dies for the reamer to be made from and create some additional 8mm cartridges within the pressure limits of the block. Ya, so many thinks to keep your mind occupied.

Will be following your work and the technical aspects of the marriage of barrel and action, along with your machining discoveries.

Is the shank on the new barrel long enough to keep the tulip at the receiver? Hope it is, as that's a nice touch, and adds some strength too.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Is the shank on the new barrel long enough to keep the tulip at the receiver? Hope it is, as that's a nice touch, and adds some strength too.
    The shank is about 3/8'' longer than needed... The set length is a cool 1 1/2'' from the Block!! I'm not going to trim any from the Barrel so it will be just a bit over 27 1/2'' The Tulip look is great for these old Girls!!!! the transition from the action to the Octagon will flow Perfect !! I've got a couple tricks up my sleeve that I'm going to test out ! If it works out you may grinn ! Ol Deuce

Enjoying your progress Ol Deuce!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    Wolfer, many clichés and adage's are appropriate here; First step down a slippery slope, the camel's nose is in the tent....etc.....
    I'm afraid I took that first step many years ago but I haven't hit bottom yet. I'm the kinda guy that if you could buy something excellent for $500 or buy parts and pieces for $600 and cobble something together that would be half as good I'll take number 2 every time. It may not be anything anyone else wants but it's mine!

Mine should be here tomorrow. Somehow or another I plan on it going bang this weekend.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Deuce, I came across this today, have not heard of it before but I am doing some digging. It is listed on the image as a 8x58 PS. I really like the look of the cartridge, and want to check out if it is still a cartridge or case that can still be had. Might be a something in the running for a reamer. Click on image, fourth in from the right. This is going to drive me crazy all night trying to find out what cartridge this is, can not find any record of this anywhere yet.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:8x58

\

Boolit Master
    MOA, that cartridge looks like 8x58R Sauer, so it might be a misprint. I looked it up in Cartridges of the World

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Deuce, I came across this today, have not heard of it before but I am doing some digging. It is listed on the image as a 8x58 PS. I really like the look of the cartridge, and want to check out if it is still a cartridge or case that can still be had. Might be a something in the running for a reamer. Click on image, fourth in from the right. This is going to drive me crazy all night trying to find out what cartridge this is, can not find any record of this anywhere yet.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:8x58

\

The start of a Nice Taper Case for the 8mm or .323 boolet !!!! I can draw it with no problem Ol Deuce

It's a crying shame they quit making 33 WCF. Would be another good fit for this rifle.

Boolit Bub
    While I usually don't recommend a particular cartridge you might consider these .30-30 based ones:

http://www.reedercustomguns.net/foru...e4253c074e.jpg

Cases are readily available, as are dies. L-R: .221 Falcon, .241 Falcon: .256 Falcon, 7m/m GNR, .30 GNR, .30-30, .355 GNR, .366 Falcon and .400 GNR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    While I usually don't recommend a particular cartridge you might consider these .30-30 based ones:

Cases are readily available, as are dies. L-R: .221 Falcon, .241 Falcon: .256 Falcon, 7m/m GNR, .30 GNR, .30-30, .355 GNR, .366 Falcon and .400 GNR.
    Thanks Sheriff, those are worthy calibers. I moved from Phoenix to Flagstaff back in 1975. Started working in GS in 79. I remember when Gary came to town and set up his business, been in his store many times. I most likely would have stopped in and had a few words with him on this project if I was still living in Flag, but I will keep these in mind. Since I hope to take this unit hunting for deer and hogs at medium ranges, and since pressures are to be kept down, I will most likely favor the larger pre-expanded boolits to provide quick kills over velocity shock kills and provide through an through results.

All,
    Are those with the short neck suitable for cast? Surely, the smaller ones would be too fast, one would think.
    Just trying to learn.

Messed up the quote function....here is an edit

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    All,
    Are those with the short neck suitable for cast? Surely, the smaller ones would be too fast, one would think.
    Just trying to learn.
    Too fast is based on your load. So if you want them slower, simply work up reduced loads for the purpose. Some calibers are tougher to get reduced loads worked up that perform well. But any cartridge can be loaded to work at lower than factory velocities. Some rifling may not suit a cast bullet well, so that will affect how well they might shoot also.
    Short necks have little to do with it. I know guys who set their bullets so far out that they barely seat in the case neck. They still get excellent groups. And then there's breech seaters that seat the bullet into the bore and put a case of powder behind it. They could care less about case neck length.

Thank you for your insight, Marlinman93. I appreciate your taking the time to teach.

Boolit Master
    Well there wasn't anyone home when the fedex man came so I can't get mine until Monday.
    I have lots of questions that I planned on the gun providing the answers.
    Are the barrel threads metric?
    Could an 8x58RD reamer be used to modify standard 8x57 dies.?
    How difficult is it to modify the extractor when you go to a smaller rim size?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast