RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Coconut pie

Boolit Grand Master

Coconut pie

Lets get some coconut recipes going. This comes from my best high school buddy's father.

Big Jim's Coconut Pie

2 eggs
    1 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 1/2 cups Eagle Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 ounces shredded unsweetened coconut
    1 - 9 inch unbaked pie crust .

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together.
    Add the cornstarch, milk , butter and vanilla extract and beat well.
    Add the coconut and stir until incorporated . Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
    2.) Place in 350 F. oven and bake until firm , about 40 to 50 minutes.
    Let cool and serve.

From Big Jim,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I'm asked to fix these anytime my wife's family visits.

COCONUT CARAMEL PIE

¼ Cup Margarine
    7 Oz. Pkg. of shredded coconut
    ½ Cup chopped pecans
    1 8 oz. Package cream cheese, softened
    1 14 oz. Can sweetened condensed milk
    1 16 oz. Tub of cool whip, partially thawed
    1 12 oz.Jar of caramel ice cream topping
    2 Frozen deep dish pie shells

Bake the pie shells in accordance with pkg. instructions and let cool.
    Melt margarine in large skillet, add coconut and pecans; cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
    Combine cream cheese and milk, beat until smooth, fold in whipped topping.
    Place ¼ of cream cheese mixture into each baked pie shell.
    Drizzle ¼ of caramel topping on each pie.(works better if it’s warmed)
    Sprinkle ¼ of coconut mixture onto each pie.
    Repeat the layering.
    Freeze until firm, 6-8 hours.

Boolit Master

I make a cooked custard with coconut milk, half and half, eggs, sugar, flour to thicken and corn starc if needed, coconut in the custard after it's done. Meringue from the whites lightly browned, sprinkle with toasted cocunut. These are almost ready. Oh yeah, butter the pie shells and sprinkle with sugar, pierce with fork and cook them before adding cooked custard so the crust won't be soggy. Why make just one?
    Attachment 214693
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

I have never made it from scratch, but coconut is my favorite pie.

2 packs instant coconut pudding
    Pie shell
    Shredded coconut
    Cool whip

Spread a generous amount of coconut on a piece of aluminum foil,
    and toast to golden brown in a toaster oven, stirring the coconut occasionally to get an even brown.

Put part of the coconut in the bottom of the pie shell, and pour the pudding in. Chill.

Spread cool whip on top, and top that with the rest of the toasted coconut.

Enjoy!

Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm make this with a graham cracker or Oreo cookie pie shell... going to try this!

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    I have never made it from scratch, but coconut is my favorite pie.

2 packs instant coconut pudding
    Pie shell
    Shredded coconut
    Cool whip

Spread a generous amount of coconut on a piece of aluminum foil,
    and toast to golden brown in a toaster oven, stirring the coconut occasionally to get an even brown.

Put part of the coconut in the bottom of the pie shell, and pour the pudding in. Chill.

Spread cool whip on top, and top that with the rest of the toasted coconut.

Enjoy!

Boolit Man

Hogtamer - can you post your recipe?
    Coconut custard was always my favorite pie at the small diners in upstate New York of my youth. I haven't seen it anywhere in the Southwest.
    Any help much appreciated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Hmmm make this with a graham cracker or Oreo cookie pie shell... going to try this!
    Mary, I have made it with graham cracker crust, and it's even mo better.

I guess I left out that you need to cook the pie shell and the pudding first, lol.
    Last edited by frankenfab; 02-21-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I make a cooked custard with coconut milk, half and half, eggs, sugar, flour to thicken and corn starc if needed, coconut in the custard after it's done. Meringue from the whites lightly browned, sprinkle with toasted cocunut. These are almost ready. Oh yeah, butter the pie shells and sprinkle with sugar, pierce with fork and cook them before adding cooked custard so the crust won't be soggy. Why make just one?
    Attachment 214693
    We know the ingredients...that's good ! The photo looks scrumptious .....
    But I have to have some amounts and measurements...I would like to try this one.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I also make a cooked custard with a recipe I got from my best friends Mom (Brother from another Mother), who became my "other Mom" when mine passed away.

Mix together
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tbls flour
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 tbls cornstarch

Add mix to 2 cups milk and heat. Stir constantly until cooked and thickened. Add 2 beaten egg yolks and cook 1 minute longer. Add 1 tsp vanilla and coconut (to your taste---I do about a cupfull)

For the meringue--beat the 2 leftover egg whites with 2 tbls sugar until stiff and add a little vanilla. Spread over pie and bake in 375 degree oven until lightly browned.

I use store bought pie crusts and cook them until lightly browned before I put the pie filling in.

Suggest you make 2 pies as one will not last very long. In college, 2 days, unless friends came over then it was gone then.

Boolit Master

Ok, I made 2 today amd remembered this. I worked up this recipe using this and that until I go it just right. Hope I don't leave anything out for 1 pie:

1) crust: make your own or store bought. If you use the prepared crust leave frozen until ready to use. The crust needs baking. The best way to do one is pierce the crust with fork 15 - 20 times
    in bottom and around sides. Gotta be gentle.. Particularly around the thicker edges. Brush with melted butter liberally and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 325 until nicely browned. Set aside to cool.

2) Custard: Separate 3 eggs and set whites aside unrefrigerated. In a mixer combine the yolks and 1 can (I think they're 12 oz) coconut milk. Add 1/2 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup half and half.
    Then one cup sugar. Finally 1/4 cup corn starch and let it mix until totally dissolved.

3) Now you cook the custard over medium heat in saucepan...Stir constantly but slowly scrapping bottom with rubber spatula. DO NOT WALK AWAY OR QUIT STIRRING or you will have scrambled eggs. Always custards seem like nothing is happening but then it does! It starts to thicken and then you can lower the heat a bit. Stir stir stir until it's thick enough that it very slowly even barely drips from your spatula. Remove from heat. Add 1 tsp vanilla and about a tablespoon of cold butter and stir in. Add 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut and mix evenly. Pour into cooled pie crust and lick pot and spatula!

4) Meringue: Take your washed and thoroughly dried mixing bowl and whisked and add the 3 egg whites. Add a pinch of cream of tarter or if you don't have that wipe the inside of your mixing bowl with half a lemon before you start. As whites whip on medium speed add about 1/4 cup sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Spread on your pie making nice little swirls and peaks. Sprinkle a little cocunut around top of meringue and put back in still hot oven until meringue is nicely browned. IT needs to set in the fridge until custard firms up. Please enjoy and send me a pic of your creation!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill