RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Shooting cast in a 300 AAC bolt action?

Shooting cast in a 300 AAC bolt action?

I have a Zastava M85 that came chambered in .223/5.56. The barrel has a flaw which can not be corrected, so I plan to re-barrel the rifle in 300 AAC.
    Anyone here shooting cast in a 300 AAC bolt action? What weights/lubes/velocities have you tested? Standard 1-8 twist, or something different?

I'm really not interested in AR platform rifles, just bolt actions.

Boolit Master

I have a remington 700 223 converted to 300 whisper. It feeds fairly well, but the staggered box magazine sometimes causes issues with not releasing the cartridge rim from under the action feed rail and sometimes bullets with more meplat can hang on the breech face. The CZ 527 I'm waiting on for CZ to send back should feed everything from a center feed magazine. I didn't get much trigger time before having to send it back.

Boolit Master

16" barrel on both was getting book velocities about 22-2300 with 110-125 jacketed bullets. Mostly shoot subsonic with my cast boolits. I plan on working on cast hollow point supersonic this spring.

Sorry, not much help with velocities and such. I have run Bens red and 45-45-10 tumble lube on different cast boolits.

Mostly I was thinking a 300 AAC bolt action would make an economical and easy paper puncher with cast. Doesn't mean that will be the case, hence the reason I started this thread.

Boolit Master

I'm using Milhec version of the 311410 with a gas check and HP. I've had the best luck with Reloader 7, I would have to double check my loads to be sure but they are touching at fifty yards. The rifle is a Ruger American 1-8 twist.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

BO is an excellent inexpensive paper puncher. If you want subs/heavies - go for the faster twist. I have a 8 pistol & 10 rifle, both do fine with up to 185gr supers. If you just want light supers, the 40WT may be a better choice. Same case and conversion, more powder space and shorter throat. You can actually use BO dies.
    Whatever!

I have a Lee 309-150 and a Lee 309-160. I was hoping one or both would work OK with 4227, but that powder is usually burns awfully dirty for me. Maybe some Win 296 or Reloader 7 will work OK. (?)

Boolit Master
    I use a lyman 311359 118 gr spire point with 4.3 grs of unique in my ruger american ranch its just under sonic and shoots under 2" at a 100 yards. I have noticed that some flat points don't feed very well but that might be a round issue because my remington 700 was the same way.

Banned
    I like the 6 CAV C312-155-2R over H110.

Any of the BO powders will work, W296 for fps, 4227 is 'supposed' to be the accuracy powder. Unique style for bolt guns will work fine.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Lots of people are shooting the Ruger American Ranch rifle ( bolt action) in 300 blackout 1-7 twist

Mine loves the NOE 312-159 HP (sonic) and the NOE 311-247 HP (both sonic and subsonic)

I use Lil Gun for Subsonic and RL7 for sonic loads
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    For the sonic stuff I use a Hornady 150 gr #3031 I think with 14 grs of lil gun and the Hornady 170 gr fp with 13 grs of lil gun. I also tried H110 but I don't remember what the charges were. I got good results with all the powders I tried.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I have a Lee 309-150 and a Lee 309-160. I was hoping one or both would work OK with 4227, but that powder is usually burns awfully dirty for me. Maybe some Win 296 or Reloader 7 will work OK. (?)
    All three of those powders will work for you. I have used Rl7 and 296, and have seen lots of data for 4227

Boolit Master

I have played with a Ruger American in 300blk. It's done pretty well with cast plinking loads from 100-230gr. I haven't got to do any serious work or chasing accuracy.

I have a bunch of the Lee 155gr spire points meant for the 7.62x39 but also some of their 230gr blackout bullet and some NOE 240s.

I really need to load some more test rounds and get to the range one of these days.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hornady 150 gr #3031 Any of the BO powders work well with that one. Used my Academy G.C. when I saw a box of them. You can even get a good amount of powder under them due to the flat base. Exposed Pb tip for good hunting performance too.
    Whatever!