Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: O.E 1 1/2F or 2F for my Sharps 45 ?

Boolit Master

O.E 1 1/2F or 2F for my Sharps 45 ?

Will be calling Powder inc tomorrow and ordering a case but wanted to see comments from more experienced shooters before ordering . I PP most all my Baco boolits but do shoot a Postell to 750yds . I have a 34inch Badger barrel that gets a little crusty towards the muzzle at times even with wiping between shots . Having gone thru 10 lbs of 2F I thought to give 1 1/2 F a try so again looking for advice /thanks Ed

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Which 45 cartridge? 45-90 1 1/2 is probably the better choice, bigger than the 45-90 1 F may prove a bit better. 45-70 2f seems a bit better, but 1 1/2 can do some good things in the 2.1 case.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Don here. I use 1 1/2 OE in the 45-90 and either 1 1/2 or 2 in 45-70. Depending on your order maybe a mixed case of 1 1 1/2 and 2 f granulation. This way you can experiment with what the rifle likes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Which 45 cartridge? 45-90 1 1/2 is probably the better choice, bigger than the 45-90 1 F may prove a bit better. 45-70 2f seems a bit better, but 1 1/2 can do some good things in the 2.1 case.
    It is the 45/70 ,I"m always forgetting something ! thanks Ed

Boolit Master
    I use 1.5 OE in 45/70 and have repeatedly found lower standard deviation and extreme spread in velocities than with OE 2F.

Banned

my 45-70's and 40-65's prefer swiss 1-1/2f under ppb's. in truth, you should try different granularities and brands, let the gun tell you what it likes to eat best.

Boolit Master
    You can mix powder from Powder inc so try at least one pound of swiss. I use swiss 3f in my 45-70 with GG bullets but fouling control with a 34 bbl might be a problem. I pp to bore dia and use 82 gr 1 1/2 swiss also.

Boolit Master
    I use OE 1.5 in my Sharps long range express, 45-110. Boolit is the Postell 535 gr.

Vendor Sponsor

I have never found as accurate a load with either grade of Olde Eynsford as Swiss. I sure wish I could! When it comes down to amazing accuracy, I think Swiss.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the help ,I split the order 15 (1 1/2F )and 10 2F just in case I didn"t have enough variables (HA)/Ed

Banned

i use swiss 1-1/2f for all the bpcr guns and swiss 3f for the trad muzzleloaders.

Boolit Master

A little late but I've had good luck with OE2F and the Postel, 68gr for mid range and 76 for LR.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Thanks for all the help ,I split the order 15 (1 1/2F )and 10 2F just in case I didn"t have enough variables (HA)/Ed
    Good chance the primers you'll find to work the best with those will be rp 9 1/2, or cci br-2's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Good chance the primers you'll find to work the best with those will be rp 9 1/2, or cci br-2's.
    Down to my last box of Br-2s and man is replacement cost on those puppy's dear. You can find them though which is a big difference from the last 8 years. Fortunately I saw the handwriting on the wall and stocked up on everything the day after Obama was elected the first time.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Bob watch Grafs and Cabela's, they occasionally get them in stock and on sale, but man you got to be quick to get a case before they go out of stock.

I don't see any difference using Br-2 or the CCi200 primers at long range or at the Silhouette matches. My .45-90 CPA and the .44-100 Rem St seems to favor the Fed Gold Match but what really surprised me when the primer crunch was on I had a sleeve of Seller & Bellot primers delivered and they shoot very well.
    Don the Rem LR and the pistol primers give me to much vertical. I ended giving away what I had left over to a cowboy shooter friend to use for the close shooting he does.

Kurt I've not seen the vertical from using the Rp 9 1/2 primers, but as with most things, the rifle will tell the story. A fella that shoots regularly at Smithmoor asked me for some rp primers , he tried them his scores started going up drastically, and now he's sold on them. I like the br-2's with swiss and schuetzen, and if I dive into the last few pounds of Express I have left, I'll go to them. I don't see much difference with Cartridge between primer's.

Boolit Buddy
    the old primer debate!
    the more you shoot the more it becomes apparrent how sensitive loads are to changing primers.
    unless you are holding less than 1 moa vert at 1000 yards it is always worth trying different primers.
    and compression seems to be in this formula.
    i have loads that shoot best with cci br, fed large pistol match, and russian large rifle.
    have never tried sellier and bellot, but they are rapidly making a name in fclass for good vert.
    like russian they come from the old evil empire, so the old commy alliance must have understood powder ignition.
    interestingly fed l.p. match always seem to group better than any other large pistol primer.
    a good place to start is cci br, then go from there.
    keep safe,
    bruce.