RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackhawk Convertable 45 acp/colt

Boolit Master

I have a pair of 3 screw Ruger 45s, both needed throat reaming by DougGuy. In the parts department, there are a couple of 45 ACP cylinders that had been paired with other 3 screw 45s. One of those cylinders fits and functions in one of my revolvers, but both the ACP cylinders have large throats, 0.456" or so. Oh, well, that's one reason I have participated in several group buys for large diameter hollow base bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I responded in your other post to be aware that some older Ruger convertibles have very large cylinder throats. I have seen one that was .456". I can recommend avoiding these.
    My oversized Blackhawk convertible is from the Late Seventies. 38 or 40 years ago. Wow! Has it been that long ago? The chambers are large. Accuracy is poor. I was really ready to love this revolver when I got it. Saved and scraped for it. The pictured ACP will take .454" pin gauges and the 45 Colt will take 0.456" and on hole just excepts a 0.457" pin.
    After more than a dozen years of putting up with it, About 1990, I had LBT make me a mold that fits the Colt chambers and the revolver shoots much better! Going to larger bullets with the ACP loadings is a step in the wrong direction. The whole reason for having the ACP Cylinder is to shoot regular ammo, ammo that runs through my 1911's.

Too bad we can't send it out to have metal added . Only small chambers can be reamed and fixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedacpDSCN0907.jpg   resized 45coltDSCN0909.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    My oversized Blackhawk convertible is from the Late Seventies. 38 or 40 years ago. Wow! Has it been that long ago? The chambers are large. Accuracy is poor. I was really ready to love this revolver when I got it. Saved and scraped for it. The pictured ACP will take .454" pin gauges and the 45 Colt will take 0.456" and on hole just excepts a 0.457" pin.
    After more than a dozen years of putting up with it, About 1990, I had LBT make me a mold that fits the Colt chambers and the revolver shoots much better! Going to larger bullets with the ACP loadings is a step in the wrong direction. The whole reason for having the ACP Cylinder is to shoot regular ammo, ammo that runs through my 1911's.

Too bad we can't send it out to have metal added . Only small chambers can be reamed and fixed.
    Sounds like the one I got tasked with making shoot. That one also had tremendous thread choke. Once that was lapped out and I found a mold that mostly filled the throats, accuracy improved greatly. Yes, adding some metal would sure be nice

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Yep, 1972 I believe. Just letting them know Ruger made sloppy pigs along with overly tight examples. Buyer beware

So hasn’t Smith. The 25 models come to mind.

OP, you’ll do just fine. I have a stainless convertible model and it’s oh so much fun. You can really load some pipsqueek loads with the ACP cylinder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    So hasn’t Smith. The 25 models come to mind.

OP, you’ll do just fine. I have a stainless convertible model and it’s oh so much fun. You can really load some pipsqueek loads with the ACP cylinder.
    Yep, a friend has one that's looser than this Ruger is. Just saying if in doubt, measure before buying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12