WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar 10

Boolit Grand Master

Ar 10

I am a we bit confused about a rifle build
    I want to build an AR 10 and to start I want to buy a stripped lower
    was looking and they say that they are for 308 win,now is that what I am to use or can I use it for any cartridge that fits the 308 cartridge dimensions such as a 6.5 CM.,243 win ect.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it's the same lower, however, the lowers are not standardized like the AR15's. The ones that take the Stoner/Magpul mags are becoming the most common.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, you can do the AR10 in alot of calibers, even some of the WSSM ones. Guy in the club has a 243 and I have a 260 and a 358win. There is the DPMS pattern upper and the Armalite is different at the back end. Different pattern mags too

Boolit Grand Master

I built my AR-10 with 2 uppers one is 243 win 1-7 twist for the 107-115 vlds 26" long. and a 22-250 rem upper 1-7 twist for the 80 grn vlds. These both feed and function fine and use adjustable gas blocks. Barrels are kriegers. This rifle shoots very well out to 1000yds. Almost any cartridge in the 308 case head OAL can be used. I have seen 1 and seen advertisements for them with bolt faces opened up in the wsm cartridges also.

Boolit Grand Master

My Armaite uses modified m 14 mags.

Banned

Rock River Arms AR 10 all altogether different then most others in that the receivers are a different length due to them using and FN LAR magazine. ArmaLite use to use a modified M14 magazine, but I think they since may have changed. Most others use the standard DPMS configuration which use take the Stoner/Magpul such as Mec Tecs said. The other differences in AR 10 receivers is the way the back end of the uppers are contoured. AR 15's are standard on that. There use to be a website that told all the differences for those wishing to build there own AR 10's. One more thing Armalite takes a longer gas tube because their gas point is in a different position and they also have a slightly different headspacing. It's crazy because it's not standardized.

Stick with the DPMS pattern, it works fine and is becoming a 'standard' for 'build' uppers and lowers. Rifle vs carbine buffer/spring/stock stuff is different. Building an AR10 is not cheap (like AR15) so look carefully to build/buy decision. DPMS has a new bolt/lug configuration but it only affects the barrel, all else is the same.
    Whatever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Stick with the DPMS pattern, it works fine and is becoming a 'standard' for 'build' uppers and lowers. Rifle vs carbine buffer/spring/stock stuff is different. Building an AR10 is not cheap (like AR15) so look carefully to build/buy decision. DPMS has a new bolt/lug configuration but it only affects the barrel, all else is the same.
    Well DPMS kind of de-standardized their "old style DPMS" with their new Gen II. Have you looked at the differences?

I bought an Armalite AR-10 new late last year for less than $1K. Unless you just want the project, might be the easiest way. (?)

YMMV.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I bought an Armalite AR-10 new late last year for less than $1K. Unless you just want the project, might be the easiest way. (?)

YMMV.
    Hannibal is that ArmaLite still using the modified M14 or did they go with Magpul?

Mine came with a Magpul and I've since acquired a few more that fit without any mods.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Mine came with a Magpul and I've since acquired a few more that fit without any mods.
    Yup Armalite went ahead and changed. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

My son just got a fully assembled AR-10 lower and an upper assembly for around $600 from Palmeto State Armory.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I do not claim to be an expert, but it appears mine is an 'A' series. All I know is it's eaten everything I've fed it so far without a hesitation, and that's what matters most to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That's good they do. It's like cars, what is it, they have to make parts for 10 years? DPMS still has some of their older type AR10 stuff.

I wish they would have standardized them meaning all the manufacturers. This is probably the reason specialty manufacturers receivers are different like say Mega Ma-Ten for an example.

Usually I don't give much credence to brand names. But I'll go ahead and 'pony up' more for an Armalite when we're talking AR-10s. A cousin of mine paid a bit under $6 Bens for an AR-10 on a 'Black Friday' deal. It's a jam-a-matic. I feel bad for him, but sometimes that's what happens.

He's a smart guy. He'll get it fixed. Sooner or later . . .

YMMV.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 02-20-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 Armalite B series but wanted something that worked with Stoner/MagPul mags since I some bolt guns that use these. I opted to go with two PSA's for under 6 bills with the plans of rebarreling them. I only have a couple hundred rounds through each. Both are sub MOA for five shots and zero malfunctions so far.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-AR-for-559-98
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-20-2018 at 11:01 PM.

I'm glad to hear yours are working for you. Maybe my cousin is doin' something wrong, and maybe he just drew a lemon.

I know I've had my share of 'problem children'.

Boolit Grand Master

The only thing that I have shot in mine is M852 or M118LR. I wasn't expecting much when I got them. I just wanted the cheap parts. I do all my on work including chambering so I looked at them as a cheap parts source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast