Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grandson Stocking Car Batteries For Casting Muzzleloader Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I think this kid has been doing You Tube videos > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZTlqqeBi0
    Fake video.............
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    After unexpectedly being away from home for the weekend (my wife took me on a ride on Route 66 for my 66th birthday), we came home and discovered the grandchild had broken open two of those old car batteries and put the plates in a plastic bin filled with water and apparently baking soda from the evidence.

Boolit Master
    what hospital is he in?

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Fake video.............
    Oh yeah...where did you get that info?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

All safety precautions aside, it's your house your rules. If he can't abide by them then perhaps it's time for a dorm room.

Boolit Buddy

Recently watched a video on a guy breaking down a car battery to get lead. Didn't seem too dangerous (not looking for an argument), but... I would never do it after watching the video. It looked like WAY too much work for the small amount of lead he got out of it. I'd have to be pretty desperate to mess with that!

Boolit Master
    look at it this way. batteries yield 3-4 pounds of lead. you can sell a whole battery in most parts of the u.s. for 10 bucks. Take that $10, and buy lead from your local scrap metals yard and walk out with 10 maybe 15 pounds of lead. WIN-WIN.......................

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a Cool Birthday gift! Happy 66th Birthday!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    After unexpectedly being away from home for the weekend (my wife took me on a ride on Route 66 for my 66th birthday), we came home and discovered the grandchild had broken open two of those old car batteries and put the plates in a plastic bin filled with water and apparently baking soda from the evidence.
    Interesting? Had you told him not to do so? Have you explained that the batteries are worth more than the value of their lead?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I saw a sign on the Batteries Plus Store that was offering to buy old car batteries for $7 each, I have gotten as high as $13 each at the scrap yard in the past. I find it odd that The core charge was $22 at Advance Auto Parts but that is beside the point. I would certainly sell every battery I could scrounge rather than mess with dismantling them for the lead. I guess that is the consensus here isn't it?
    It has been the consensus ever since they came out with sealed batteries. Those are the ones with contaminated lead plates.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    If the EPA find out whats going on,penalties may well exceed the value of your house and land.Bear in mind that if he blabs to his college buddies about what he s doing,one of them can drop a dime on you for a reward of half the penalty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If the EPA find out whats going on,penalties may well exceed the value of your house and land.Bear in mind that if he blabs to his college buddies about what he s doing,one of them can drop a dime on you for a reward of half the penalty.
    I can't imagine a battery being so toxic that the EPA would be any bit concerned about two batteries being stripped out and their contents being dumped on the ground. In my younger years when I was a rural firefighter with the local fire department we flushed down many cars with front end collisions where the batteries were crushed. All of the batteries are placed in a location that makes them very vulnerable to being crushed. So, this argument just doesn't hold any water. What I was more concerned about would be the possible toxic fumes getting his grandmother or I when he tries molding lead projectiles out of the plates in our basement when we come back from taking care of my wife's ailing aunt for a few days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thats a Cool Birthday gift! Happy 66th Birthday!
    Well thank you lightman. I enjoyed the surprise weekend trip, but often thought how many new reloading dies or bullet molds I could have bought with that money. But I guess I already have enough of that kind of stuff?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    often thought how many new reloading dies or bullet molds I could have bought with that money. But I guess I already have enough of that kind of stuff?
    fake info . . . you never can have enough of that kind of stuff
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    fake info . . . you never can have enough of that kind of stuff
    Well if your bomb/tornado shelter consists of heavy plywood set on top of your stacks of molds and dies in boxes you might be getting pretty close to enough. Unless you decide to add a mother-in-law bomb & tornado shelter out in the garden shed, no not the casting shed, the metal one with the tarp roof, yeah that one. Might need some more "building materials" to build that second shelter. I'm sure dear wife will be most supportive of the purchases too, since they are for dear mother.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Some Battery places will pay over $10 for some batteries.
    Sell them and buy clean alloy

Boolit Master

He ain't listening!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    He ain't listening!
    I am, but he ain't. We have already suggested all of this stuff to him. Even emailed him some videos. But he sees free batteries laying around his parents house and it means free lead to him. I found out why today that he needs all of this free lead. He got a box in the mail today from Budsgunshop with a new 1851 Navy Revolver in it. But no round ball molds that I could see.

Boolit Buddy
    Why is this an issue? It is your home, why is he leaving stuff there and taking apart batteries at your home and not his parents or his own? Tell him he has 24 hrs to dispose of the batteries off your property or you will have them recycled yourself. Otherwise you are giving implicit permission for him to behave however he wants.

Boolit Master
    I think I figured out the problem: he must see the batteries as his only available source of lead.

Most scrap yards do not sell lead to the public (at least here in CA - maybe they do in MO).
    So, selling the batteries means losing a source.

The simple solution is to show him how to buy lead on this forum.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast