Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grandson Stocking Car Batteries For Casting Muzzleloader Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    I think I figured out the problem: he must see the batteries as his only available source of lead.

Most scrap yards do not sell lead to the public (at least here in CA - maybe they do in MO).
    So, selling the batteries means losing a source.

The simple solution is to show him how to buy lead on this forum.
    Makes sense to me. Let us call the scrap yard and find out what they give for batteries while we look over all this clean casting lead for sale. And if that don't work stop being an enabler. Take them to scrap yard, or call scrap yard to pick them up. If he gets a little miffed, that's ok, doing dumb stuff should have negative consequences, insisting on doing dumb stuff in the face of your objections should have worse consequences.

You know when I hear about someone just bound and determined to do it the stupid way I generally like it best when they are arranging flowers stupid, or baking cupcakes stupid, or even painting their deck stupid. I just cringe when I think of someone that would ignore all the accumulated knowledge and even simple common sense from this forum playing with molten lead in preparation for playing with firearms. Sorry people who are that willfully foolish should be encouraged to take up badminton or quilting because they are a hazard to themselves and others around things that can cause injury in not handled with some care and thought.

Sorry to put it so bluntly but you need to tell him we sell them and buy lead or I'm going to call and have them disposed of. My house, my rules, even if you refuse to go along with them politely. I don't have to convince you, trying to was a courtesy, one you didn't appreciate. Now I'm telling you we haul them from here to scrap yard for the scrap value or I just call the scrap yard to come get them and they pay nothing but you don't do stupid things with them. Which is it going to be?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Color me ignorant! Is the lead he may get from batteries even suitable for muzzleloader balls?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
    I think I figured out the problem: he must see the batteries as his only available source of lead.

Most scrap yards do not sell lead to the public (at least here in CA - maybe they do in MO).
    So, selling the batteries means losing a source.

The simple solution is to show him how to buy lead on this forum.
    ++++++++1 on that!

I have no problem buying tons of Pb locally from scrap dealers. But if you are not lucky enough to live in a “normal” state, either move or buy Pb and alloy on here! Supporr our bro’s on here and buy from them!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    ++++++++1 on that!

I have no problem buying tons of Pb locally from scrap dealers. But if you are not lucky enough to live in a “normal” state, either move or buy Pb and alloy on here! Supporr our bro’s on here and buy from them!
    I don't have any trouble buying lead myself either. Just this past week I bought a bucket of lead wheel weights that must weigh at least 70 pounds from my tractor tire dealer when I had them fix a car tire for me. But I had to give them $30 for it. And the child doesn't see this as being very intelligent as he can get all the lead he wants for free from all of these old batteries from the old wrecked cars laying around his parent's house. In his book we are the stupid ones. That means you and me and all of the other elderly people on this web site. And I am sure nobody on this web site has ever attempted to extract lead from batteries for casting lead projectiles. As none of us has ever read a Lyman reloading manual like the one we gave to the child for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I am, but he ain't. We have already suggested all of this stuff to him. Even emailed him some videos. But he sees free batteries laying around his parents house and it means free lead to him. I found out why today that he needs all of this free lead. He got a box in the mail today from Budsgunshop with a new 1851 Navy Revolver in it. But no round ball molds that I could see.
    Working on the batteries while you were gone should be the end of it, IMHO.

Your house, your rules: Goodbye to the grandchild. Growing up can be painful, but still a learning experience. Rules are rules. JMHO. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    he can get all the lead he wants for free from all of these old batteries from the old wrecked cars laying around his parent's house.
    He is half right.

Obviously you can’t shoot a car battery from a gun, so starting with the free battery there are two paths to getting to a bullet.

He is on path 1, extract lead, make bullet, realize that alloy matters, stop.

Path 2 is far better, sell batteries, buy soft lead, make bullet, success!

Neither path costs him cash. For whatever reason he just can’t see that he’s picked the high cost (in terms of time) high risk path with very very low probability of success.

I’d explain it to him again, with an emphasis on congratulating him for his dedication to solving the problem. If he decides to continue just let him be, he’s probably past the really dangerous bits by now anyway so just needs to learn that the resuting bullets won’t shoot well and will lead badly.

Boolit Master
    If his parents yard is full of old cars ,why cant he do the smelting there.I think you should do some research on the costs of soil testing and remediation,and possible penalties before you allow this.I have seen this type of activity cost unsuspecting owners lots of money .This kid is trouble with a capital T.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If his parents yard is full of old cars ,why cant he do the smelting there.I think you should do some research on the costs of soil testing and remediation,and possible penalties before you allow this.I have seen this type of activity cost unsuspecting owners lots of money .This kid is trouble with a capital T.
    What could possibly go wrong? Young person lacking experience and unwilling to take advice or follow rules messing with toxic chemicals in order to extract lead which will be melted to make bullets. I really can't see where anything could go wrong. Hardly seems possible.

Lord help you if you live near a wetlands or water course or someplace with a high water table and sandy soil. Junior pisses off one neighbor or just someone that knows what he is doing at your house and they drop a dime to the local environmental or dept. of natural resources unit. Not that he is likely to piss anyone off, he sounds like a thoughtful, respectful and polite young person. (yeah I know, it's a sin, I'll go to confession or something). In the end battery lead will be too hard and possibly full of chemicals that make the smoke from firing toxic or possibly corrode the snot out of his firearm.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Color me ignorant! Is the lead he may get from batteries even suitable for muzzleloader balls?
    Not really.

Boolit Grand Master

I sent Don a small flat rate box of pure lead, hope he can get his grandson to use it.
    I have made muzzleloader balls from battery lead over 35 years ago and it is very hard to load them as they do not like to engrave the rifling. I did dispose of the remains at my work so it did not go into the environment.
    There is a big difference in washing down a broken car battery in an accident vehicle to protect the citizens than breaking one open on purpose. Course our fire dept. here washed about 20 gallons of gasoline down the sewer once, that did create some tension!

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice gesture leadman! I also offered to donate some soft lead suitable for a muzzleloader.

Boolit Master
    Where in Missouri do you live? I have a son that goes to college in Moberly, maybe your grandson can sell the batteries and we can make a deal on some safer lead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234