Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffalo

Buffalo or Bison meat is very mild tasting compared to venison or elk meat. It is also very lean meat and has less cholesterol then skinless chicken meat. I have killed 4 bison. The first was a large trophy bull that went about 1800-2000 pounds on the hoof. His meat was tough due to age. For the best meat take a bull or cow that is 3 years old or younger. Due to leanness of the meat, cook to medium rare or medium as you would do elk or venison.

In Remembrance
    The first buffalo meat I wound up with was from an older bull that a friend killed. The meat was tough, but still had a very good taste to it. I have since gotten it from younger animals, and it is just plain good eating.

Years ago, was driving through Custer State park in the summer. Stopped to watch the buffalo (bison) in the park. There was always a line of cars around them. On guy got out of his car and brought a little baby out and set it on the ground close to a big bull. The bull turned away and started to walk away and the guy picked up the carrier and tried to stop the bull, set the kid and it's carried down and take the pairs picture. The bull (who was starting to show so agitation) turn to walk away again. The guy ran after him to slap it on the rump to turn it around. That's when I decided to move on. I had no desire to see the blood. When I went past the guys car, he had NY plates on the car.
    As a movie quote says 'Stupid is as stupid does'
    Now I live less than 200 yards from a fence that holds in about 40 head or so.
    Rob

In Remembrance
    There is a herd of over a hundred that stays in the highway right of way on the Alcan in Northern British Columbia. They roam back and forth for probably close to 100 miles and will sometimes bed down on the asphalt as it is a little warmer, makes for one heck of a bad wreck.

I passed within inches of one one night, and radioed back to my son in law to slow down, as I figured I had stirred it up, nope it just laid there, paid us no attention at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Can anyone hunt buffalo????
    I thought only Native Americans could.
    I've never had Elk, buffalo, bear, squirrel, or any other animals we don't have here.
    How do they compare?????

Boolit Master

Tags are available but expensive.

Boolit Buddy

I've eaten Buffalo Mountain Oysters that came from a pair of Kodiak Island Bulls, they were pretty good with Creamy Horseradish Sauce.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Can anyone hunt buffalo????
    I thought only Native Americans could.
    I've never had Elk, buffalo, bear, squirrel, or any other animals we don't have here.
    How do they compare?????
    Yes anyone can hunt them, the problem here is there is a limited number of tags issued, so you may put in for one all of your life without drawing a tag.
    I have a friend that is one big time serious hunter, does a little guiding, but always fills his moose , caribou and what ever tag he decides to get. He has put in for Buffalo for over 20 years, closer to 30 and never drawn out, but his wife has and so has his daughter. He was told by a person in the game dept, that even though it was supposedly a drawing, his name will never, ever be drawn, because they depend on only some of the tags being successful, so they are not given to folks that have to good of a success ratio. True or not, who knows, but I know lots of hunters that have put in for 20 years or more.

Oh yea, in South Dakota a lot of tourist traps sell buffalo on the menu for dinner and supper. Pricey but good. There are a few packing houses for the meat to And a couple of places at the Sioux City farmer's market that sells it. Also one place in town that has buffalo and elk for sale. The meat are very good and quite lean.

Rob

Moderator Emeritus

Friend of mine(RIP Gabbie!) used to send me a gift from here https://www.northstarbison.com/shop the bison was good stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12