RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to calculate clicks for down range distances?

Boolit Buddy

How to calculate clicks for down range distances?

I have a 30-06 with J and Cast bullets and want to figure out the clicks for distances I have it zero'ed at 100 yards for 180gr and would like to know how many clicks for 200 300 400 500 600 yards and so on how do I do the math my scope does 1/4 inch a click at 100 yards It cant be that hard can it?

also an attachment with the ballistics info for 180 grain bullet if needed...

if you can help me figure out how to calculate the clicks for one then I can figure out what I have to do for PC CB just to get me in the ball park for when I can go to the range and do some long range shooting with them where I can then fine tune things as I will be doing 150gr flat nose 180gr 200gr and 230gr all are lee molds I will have to try and find the Ballistic Coefficient / Velocity for them still or do I?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Grand Master

Scopes can be 1/8 moa, 1/4 moa or 1/2moa click adjustment. This translates for the 1/8 moa to 1/8" at 100yds, 1/4" at 200 yards, 3/8" at 300 yards, or 1.25 at 1000yds. In order to get what you want you need to know velocity and BC for the bullet being used. A online ballistic program will give you the drop for various ranges then depending on sights adjustment you can figure the number of clicks needed. The above used 1/8 moa. With the 30-06 and military load the 200-300 yd drop is around 9" or 3 min of angle so at 8 clicks to the min you need 24 clicks up from 200 to 300yds.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have a 30-06 with J and Cast bullets and want to figure out the clicks for distances I have it zero'ed at 100 yards for 180gr and would like to know how many clicks for 200 300 400 500 600 yards and so on
    Bill, let me get you started:
    * First you need to know the velocity of the round. Hope that you used a vendor's data base that has the velocity. If not, the velocity should be determined with a chronograph
    * Ballistics Co-efficient (BC) is needed for the bullet ... http://gundata.org/ballistic-coefficient-calculator/
    * You said you have the zero for 100yds, so now you need a trajectory table to plug in the needed elements using the table for Zero Range at 100yds ... http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...tory-chart.php
    * Set the table "Chart Range" to 600 yds for 100 yard increments or if you want to 1000 yards
    * Run the trajectory table that will be in inches or you can add MOA
    Then based on the # of clicks for your scope, use the numbers that country gent posted:
    Scopes can be 1/8 moa, 1/4 moa or 1/2moa click adjustment. This translates for the 1/8 moa to 1/8" at 100yds, 1/4" at 200 yards, 3/8" at 300 yards, or 1.25 at 1000yds.
    >>>>>>>>>Print the table for your range box
    Now, Point of Impact (POI) is variable to the day's weather elements so POI may change for X hits. A good method without expending a lot of rounds to get on the X is:
    * Fire 2-3 round at a given distance. Determine the mid point of the holes. Holding the barrel steady, put the cross hairs on the mid point you just shot and move the cross hairs to the X for windage and elevation. Fire a couple of rounds to confirm you on the X
    * PENCIL ADJUST your trajectory table settings for that yardage and your Good to Go
    Next day at the range, your in the X ballpark and just make the minor scope adjustment(s) for the weather conditions on that day
    Okie Dookie? Gut Zeil
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-20-2018 at 02:05 AM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Yup that helps I got it figured out by clicks now and have lots of numbers by clicks now for all the bullet weights I want to setup I am also going to make a nice big/tall custom scope turret so I can mark it just to make it easy on me once I have it all setup...

I did this for my .22 but for a fixed distance 25 yards but with different ammo standered velocity and subsonic so going to try and do that
    for the 30-06

The numbers/clicks will help me be in the ball park for trajectory were I can fine tune at a range and then mark it on my turret.
    OK so it was not as hard as I made it out to be in my tiny brain LOL....

180 gr 300 yards 49 clicks
    " " 350 yards 80 clicks
    200 gr

230 gr 300 yards 98 clicks
    350 yards 151 clicks

I think this will get a bit tedious after a while counting clicks...
    but worth it in the end for me.

and so on and once I have it dead on after fine tuning I mark that range on the turret
    and again with each different bullet weight I will use a different color pen to mark turret

well that's the plan I will let you all know how it works out it will be a while till I get to this project I have to put on the turret and cast allot of bullets and powder coat and load em up but its not like I dont have the time to do it I already have a couple locations I can use for a range I think I will max it out at 500 yards as I don't know how many clicks max I can get out of a scope as its what 80 clicks around at 1/4 how many full rotations could a scope have I am just guessing I will have 2 rotations I will have to test that just to see...

Boolit Master

I never bother counting clicks. My turrets are marked in MOA. The table should give you the MOA adjustment for the yardage. Just spin the dial the correct amount of MOA and you are there. Some turrets are 12MOA per revolution, some are more or less. Depends on the scope. Just read the MOA value of adjustment and dial away.

Most scopes are somewhere between 60 to 80 clicks for a full turn of the turret - once you know how many it's easier to count full turns + clicks. You may have to use an angled scope mount not to run out of adjustment at the longer ranges.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    You also need to factor in the height of the scope above the line of the bore. Most published ballistics tables use a standard of 1.5" above the bore. If your scope is markedly higher than 1.5" it will alter your downrange adjustments.

... and if you didn't that should be done after getting base line setting - unscrew the E & W plates and set them to zero. Then when you spin the 60 or 80 clicks + the extra, going back to base line is easier if you do the reset to base line before you leave the range and forgot the last distance you shot at
    Regards
    John

The table should give you the MOA adjustment for the yardage.
    FYI ...The posted trajectory calculator has the provision to add an extra column for MOA or MIL in addition to inches
    Might add: Both programs that I posted can be downloaded to you computer also
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    my clicks calculations are flawed above I think what I did was take the drop in inches and convert them to clicks so for the 12.3 inches it was x4 to give me the 49 clicks which is wrong right I would have been shooting way to high.. but at the time this seemed correct still does but its to many clicks right?

zero 100 yards

180 gr 300 yards 49 clicks 12.3 inches
    " " 350 yards 80 clicks 20 inches

Finally after getting my brain wrapped around this MOA thing I got it figured out now right?
    300 yards 15.6 clicks for -3.9moa
    350 yards 22 clicks for -5.5moa

My problem is also I have to make a larger custom turret for my scope it does not have moa printed on it I only have the option of counting clicks once I have the new turret on the scope I can then mark zero for each bullet weight and mark clicks on it. time consuming sure but once done its done.
    Last edited by Survival Bill; 02-20-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Your math doesn't seem to be adding up. You're getting on the right track but not there yet.

Think about it like this
    For a 1 click = 1/4 moa scope
    1 click at 100 = 1/4 inch
    1 click at 200 = 1/2 inch
    1 click at 300 = 3/4 inch
    1 click at 400 = 1 inch

The bullet path is an angle (minute of angle) 1/60th of 1 degree. As you move further from the muzzle, the amount of distance 1 click equals gets larger.

14 inch drop at 350 yards = 14 / 3.5 = 4 moa or 16 clicks with a 1/4 moa scope.

It is easier to think in 100 yard increments though.

If you have a smart phone a ballistics calculator is a great tool. However if you can pull up an online ballstics calculator and input your info, then print a range card to put in range bag or tape to stock.

Hope this helped.

Boolit Master

After pulling up the drop chart, all you need to worry about is the MOA column if you have an MOA scope. If the adjustments are 1/4 moa, then just dial up that amount.

350 yards is 5.5 moa. That is 22 clicks of 1/4 moa each.
    For 100 yards there is 44.1 moa of drop. That is 44 x 4 = 176 clicks

If you scope is 1/4 moa the individual marks are 1/4 moa units. If the scope has numbers marked at 4 click intervals then those are the whole number MOA values. Just dial the MOA and shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the moa that the printout gave me so it should be moa x4 for clicks.

This is all that I have for a turret no marking nadda its an old scope but works well for what it is so what I am going to do is glue on a new large turret that I can use to mark on with all the info needed. I am going to use a copper pipe cap as they are cheap and large enough to mark all the info I want on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turret.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	214711

OH the ideas that are floating in my head right now..
    What would be real handy right now is one of them 3D Printers oh the possibilities with one of those think of all the things one could make for your bang stick...
    How about a 20 or 30 MOA scope mount that would really get one to shoot out their and less chance of running out of clicks at distance ..
    Last edited by Survival Bill; 02-21-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'd tall target your scope to see if 1 click actually moves your point of impact 1/4" and to make sure it moves impacts straight up, and returns to zero, before getting carried away. You might find 80 clicks moves your impact 17" up and 3" right instead straight up 20".

After you do that it might be worth digging deeper.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you have a point their I will try and get out and test that.

But one can compensate for that too once known right.. or reset the scope in the mounts if bad enough.
    Last edited by Survival Bill; 02-21-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    May be just the way my head works, but I have ZERO confidence in my rifle hitting poa if I've been fiddling with the turrets on a hunting scope. Need to know what I last had it set for and did I put it back to " base" or not , I cant handle it. I am not organized enough. I do have 2 loads for my hunting rifles, and if its scoped I feel an overriding desire to shoot at least a check shot every time I take it out. On guns I zero and leave be , I have much more confidence. Talking hunting not target shooting here. Last miss was a coyote over the top cause my rifle was zeroed for a cast linker and I chucked in a fast jacket! Forgot about zeroing it for the cast! Takes some organization and discipline to keep it all straight, I dont have it. Some obviously do, heres hoping you have that gift
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    If you are blessed with owning an Android mobile phone then I strongly recommend an app named Strelok. I have it and I think it's one of the best aids to shooting you can get at the price, which is free for the basic version, and very little for the slightly more advanced one. I zero my rifles at 110 yards but shoot at longer ranges at events. Every time Strelok has got me on the paper and usually in the black on the first shot. It's also fairly easy to use.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    May be just the way my head works, but I have ZERO confidence in my rifle hitting poa if I've been fiddling with the turrets on a hunting scope. Need to know what I last had it set for and did I put it back to " base" or not , I cant handle it. I am not organized enough. I do have 2 loads for my hunting rifles, and if its scoped I feel an overriding desire to shoot at least a check shot every time I take it out. On guns I zero and leave be , I have much more confidence. Talking hunting not target shooting here. Last miss was a coyote over the top cause my rifle was zeroed for a cast linker and I chucked in a fast jacket! Forgot about zeroing it for the cast! Takes some organization and discipline to keep it all straight, I dont have it. Some obviously do, heres hoping you have that gift
    I have no problem with that at all I like to tinker with stuff I always end up learning stuff good or bad ....
    It helps one think outside the box...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    If you are blessed with owning an Android mobile phone then I strongly recommend an app named Strelok. I have it and I think it's one of the best aids to shooting you can get at the price, which is free for the basic version, and very little for the slightly more advanced one. I zero my rifles at 110 yards but shoot at longer ranges at events. Every time Strelok has got me on the paper and usually in the black on the first shot. It's also fairly easy to use.
    Yes I have that program and others but I like to play with the MOA clicks I think it will give me more versatility in what I want to do shooting all different manner of bullet weights and I think it also will be a faster way to get zeroed in at distance when hunting by the time one would pull out and play with a program the opportunity could be long gone. I may be wrong but I will find out in the end for myself if it works or not.
    Last edited by Survival Bill; 02-21-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I carry an Applied Ballistics Kestrel when hunting. I have no problem getting a firing solution and range if the distance is far enough to warrant the use. You have to understand environmentals will make your predetermined click value not work in every situation.

The best thing I have found to do is build your own trajectory curve based on actual values you see in the field. When I an validating trajectory I'll get a solid 100 yard zero and a solid 800-1000 yards impact. With those known values any number of programs will spit out a custom curve.

The app Shooter gives clicks also.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 02-21-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast