MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady LNL Grrrrrrr!

I think Dillon Hornady and rcbs customer service is unreasonably good. Like, what other industry would come close? But hey, I won’t complain, I guess.
    But, to say Hornady customer service is somehow inferior seems like a real stretch. They will do a lot for free. And they answer the phone. That’s a miracle in this age. I’ve heard their case feeder sucks though so I won’t go that route. I figure my left hand needs something to do, so I may as well feed cases instead of bullets. Cases ar easier to feed, and bullets require less quality control going in. SO that made sense to me. But seems like most people prefer to have cases fed repather than bullets. I often wonder why?

Let me clarify, Hornady CS is top notch. I can’t imagine it could be any better. This was not the case even 8 years ago. Both RCBS and Hornady had to catch up to Dillon, but catch up they did. Any difference between them now is more imagination than reality. Hornady now has a full timed dedicated email guy. What used to take a week or more to get a response now gets answered in 24 hrs or less. Now that’s CS
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

RCBS has great customer service from when I started using them in 1989. Started using Dillon cs in 1990 their okay too.

Boolit Master
    I have had good customer service from Hornady, and not the fault of the customer service folks, but their policy is that they don’t provide free service on a secondhand press. This is understandable, but just know that the parts add up very fast when you’re having to pay for them.

I have had no problems getting free repair parts from Dillon on my second or third hand SDB.

Banned

the case feeder is a headache plain and simple. the priming can be too if you don't keep everything surgery room clean. Ill put it this way. If my two lnls were guns I sure wouldn't take them to war.

Boolit Master

Sure you're not talking about Lee? (Purple font off)
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    "in" crowd.
    Hardly "in" crowd. I must admit I don't have the patience, desire or skill to tinker my way through reloading. I chose blue as a result of experience with Lee and feedback from blue users. I also occasionally use their tech support which has been great. I don't feel like a snob and appreciate those folks that enjoy the challenge of making their equipment functional. They have skills I don't possess.

Didn't mean anything other than I took the road less traveled.....and am paying for it as usual.
    R J Talley

Banned
    Have you tried painting it blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Have you tried painting it blue?
    I wanted to do this to mine just to brag about my new Dillon lol. But I think photochopping a Dillon red would get even more reaction.

omgb

Your comment about Redding made me think about my experience with them, I contacted Redding about a 280 Rem Ack Improved sizing die that was scratching cases, the ask me to send it in and after the third time of sending it in they still didn't fix it and said "it was within spec's". I finally bought a sizing from someone else.

Steve............
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

The did respond to a problem I was having fitting a shell holder to a T7. I ended up buying their shell holder and the problem ceased to be a problem. I guess Bonanza didn't hold too closely to specs
    R J Talley

Boolit Man
    I'm still finishing the set up on my lnl. I just got the case feeder dialed in, no issues so far.

Got the new parts in and everything dialed in. Wow! These up grades make all the difference. I loaded 500 straight with nary a hitch. Now, what do you guys think of Mr Bullet Feeders dies? Can they be used with an aluminum feed tube? Will it feed cast bullets? How does it stack up against the Hornady and RCBS dies
    R J Talley

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    Got the new parts in and everything dialed in. Wow! These up grades make all the difference. I loaded 500 straight with nary a hitch. Now, what do you guys think of Mr Bullet Feeders dies? Can they be used with an aluminum feed tube? Will it feed cast bullets? How does it stack up against the Hornady and RCBS dies
    the mbf dies can’t be compared to the collet style like hornady. I haven’t use rcbs but I never will after using the mbf. They really work amazingly. Cast no problem. The Hornady jokes got tossed. I can’t believe that anyone actually has good results with those. The mbf is superior and yes they offer a basic tube system much like the Hornady setup.

Boolit Master

I have an early HORNADY L-N-L, only problem I've ever had is with the case ejector. Got the upgrade, kicks out cases with ease. Only complaint I have is sending 15 shellplates back to be modified at $10 a pop. I bought all those for $12 each anyway, so I can't really complain. Don't believe in case feeders, too noisey and bullet feeders. Too much SPEED. I want to relax when I load. Not be inundated by the noise of a case feeder. And I wanna use any bullet I choose, not be limited by bullet feeder limitations.

RCBS IS STILL THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE. Has been LONG BEFORE dillon existed.

I bought a dillon 450 when they 1st came out 35+yrs ago. Nothing but trouble, wouldn't feed CCI 500 primers, Call them, their answer; "CCI primers ****, use only WINCHESTER. Their powder measure was all aluminum. Came with warning not to use Ball Powder. Sold it to a guy who proceeded to blow up 3 guns loading on it. Seen a lot more guns blown up by people using dillons. They tell how easy reloading is. DON'T TELL PEOPLE THEY NEED TO LEARN WHAT EACH STEP REALLY ENTAILS.

Shouldn't be allowed to by a progressive until they've loaded at least a 1000+RDS on a single stage.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-28-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Man
    Walks, I'm so thankful my experience is not like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I have an early HORNADY L-N-L, only problem I've ever had is with the case ejector. Got the upgrade, kicks out cases with ease. Only complaint I have is sending 15 shellplates back to be modified at $10 a pop. I bought all those for $12 each anyway, so I can't really complain. Don't believe in case feeders, too noisey and bullet feeders. Too much SPEED. I want to relax when I load. Not be inundated by the noise of a case feeder. And I wanna use any bullet I choose, not be limited by bullet feeder limitations.

RCBS IS STILL THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE. Has been LONG BEFORE dillon existed.

I bought a dillon 450 when they 1st came out 35+yrs ago. Nothing but trouble, wouldn't feed CCI 500 primers, Call them, their answer; "CCI primers ****, use only WINCHESTER. Their powder measure was all aluminum. Came with warning not to use Ball Powder. Sold it to a guy who proceeded to blow up 3 guns loading on it. Seen a lot more guns blown up by people using dillons. They tell how easy reloading is. DON'T TELL PEOPLE THEY NEED TO LEARN WHAT EACH STEP REALLY ENTAILS.

Shouldn't be allowed to by a progressive until they've loaded at least a 1000+RDS on a single stage.
    Must be a lot of idiots in your part of the world blowing their guns up with Dillons. As a competitive shooter, I shoot more than most and without a good progresssive press, the reloading would be overwhelming. My son and I have a uspsa match this weekend and I need to load about 400 rounds on my Dillon 650. It will take me 30 or 40 minutes. The overwhelming choice of competitive shooters for reloading is a Dillon machine of some sort and they are not routinely blowing up guns. I reloaded a few rounds on single stage press the other day and was quickly reminded why I purchased my first dillon 550 back in the mid 80s. The tedium was overwhelming. I would much rather shoot than reload!

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it’s not just me.

I’m about ready to just go get a turret, I think it would be faster and save me a lot of money on primers.

Almost every time they get low the slide hangs and I have to remove the whole feed. Even though I slip a card under the tube when I lift it up, it’s impossible to do without spilling primers. I have a 250 grain bullet attached to the top of the plastic rod to keep up feed pressure.

The latest adventure is the rod that actuates the primer slide. Every time the ram goes up and the slide starts to pull back it pulls the rod out of the cup at the bottom.

Ideas, anyone?

I called Hornady and they sent me a couple of the brackets that attach at the top. Installed a new one to no avail.

The primer slide pulls back without much effort, so that’s not the problem.

Sounds like your primer shuttle is not moving freely. Make sure it manually slides easily just by pulling on it where the spring mounts to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast