RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Loading the 120 grain RN Lyman #356242 in 38 Special

Boolit Mold

Question Loading the 120 grain RN Lyman #356242 in 38 Special

Does anyone have any experience with loading the 120 grain RN Lyman #356242 in 38 Special? Are there pressure issues with this load? Is it accurate? I cast a bunch of these for my 9mm and I see Lyman gives data for loading it in 38 special as well.

Boolit Master

I cast and load these these for my wife to use in the CAS game in 38sp.
    Just use listed load data, you'll have no problems as long as the boolit is big enough.
    Lyman Cast Bullet manual is good one.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Provided you don't run amok with the powder charge, there is no reason for pressure problems. I used mine mostly as plinkers in snubbies and did not test for accuracy, but they seemed to be ok for that use. Be sure to check to make sure that you are geting boollits large enough for the 38. Many are marked 356-242, and they aren't lying. Mine is an older Ideal 4 cavity that is marked 358-242. I have to add tin to get good fill out to make mine run large enough to work well in my 38's. My 4 cavity runs just barely .358 when so treated. Try 4.0 grains of either Red Dot or Bullseye, or 4.5 grains of WW-231. I cast up several thousand one time and used most of them in my 38's after my agency put the kibosh on autoloaders after an AD.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I really like the Lyman 356242 (120 gr) for both 38 Spl and 357. Totally agree, as stated above, they need to be .358+ as cast for use in 38/357. I have the older model designated 358242, size to .358, and only lube the bottom grove. I crimp (lightly) in the top grove. You indicate that you have Lyman data for 356242 in 38 Spl. The 358242 over Red Dot/Promo 4.2 gr. in a 38 Spl case is an absolute tack driver for me. Ditto for this boolit over Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr in a 357 case. The 356242 sized .358 is also superb in 9MM.