RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
PBcastcoWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roosevelt Elk

Roosevelt Elk

It's coming together for me to hunt each variety of elk this next season, with only Tule in Cali still a bit in doubt; and Roosevelt's at the short ranges likely in that coastal rain forest has me thinking they're a natural for cast bullet hunting.

I've been using some Mt. Baldy 270 FPGCs in my nice old 9.3x57, that I think would work well. I'm down to my last box, though, but I'm casting my own now and Arsenal and NOE both offer 10 grain heavier but otherwise very similar molds.

It's a mild mannered round, and cast shoot well at standard pressure and power. The round was designed for elk, even if that elk is really a moose.

My elk experience to date is all Rocky Mountain Elk, using Partitions and Interlocks.

Are any of you Roosevelt hunters, that'd share your opinions or tips?
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Roosies are big, but that bullet should work fine. The biggest trick is getting close enough to the ONE elk you wanna shoot in the middle of such thick country.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Never shot or seen a Roosevelt but shoot 9.3x62. I have shoot 6-8 deer and know that it will kill a lot bigger animals. I have post some of my results in the Group Buy Results area for the NOE 9.3 mold

Yes, I've seen that these are burly bodied elk and that their country is thick. Idaho's panhandle is thick timber hunting country, but Roosevelt's country looks like it kinda closes right up around animals and you.

I'm glad to see that you think that bullet and cartridge are up to it. It'll be fun to put that old rifle to use not to dissimilar to that for which it was made. Now, to the serious gear for that country - rain suits and rubber boots.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Assuming success, then you have to get the critter out of the woods. I helped get three out over 2 days in an aspen thicket that looked like a giant's pick up sticks thrown on the mountainside. Naturally, the weather was lots warmer than usual, too, but we didn't lose any meat. Sounds like a great CB rifle and cartridge combo, best of luck. GF

Boolit Master
    As said earlier, Roosevelt's are much larger than Rocky Mountain elk. It is an adaptation to our weather (freezing rain is harder on animals than snow and a big body is an advantage). Your load should do fine. I hunted them with a muzzle loader and found that a saboted 265 SWC at an MV of 1650 was absolutely devastating on elk out to 70 yards (my longest shot). One "lead cow" I foolishly shot while hunting alone was completely lifted off the ground and turned upside down at the strike. I said foolishly because I was looking for a smaller calf easier to get out alone and that big cow had a live weight of an estimated 600#.

Boolit Master
    I'm jealous I'd like to hunt Roosevelt elk some day.

Side note check out Born and Raised Outdoors on YouTube, they hunt Roosevelt elk.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

The experienced opinions on Roosevelts, 9.3s, and the YT channel lead are all appreciated.

I confess that I'm pretty excited about getting to hunt new elk in new country.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

The Olympic peninsula is a very beautiful place, but it is steep, wet, and tough on the un acclimated. Be prepared for serious steep climbs, and totally soaking conditions, rain gear is used to keep heat in, not water out. Scent block, good boots and a dry bag for clothes is recommended, but very few places in the world are as cool to chase game in. Lots of bears too, so since you are using a decent bear gun anyway, maybe look at a bear tag and get a two-fer...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    The Olympic peninsula is a very beautiful place, but it is steep, wet, and tough on the un acclimated. Be prepared for serious steep climbs, and totally soaking conditions, rain gear is used to keep heat in, not water out. Scent block, good boots and a dry bag for clothes is recommended, but very few places in the world are as cool to chase game in. Lots of bears too, so since you are using a decent bear gun anyway, maybe look at a bear tag and get a two-fer...
    Word to the wise. Never shoot downhill at a Roosevelt elk on the Olympic Peninsula. The animal will surely drop right into the devils club at the bottom of the cliff.

Boolit Bub
    Personal experience ?

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Word to the wise. Never shoot downhill at a Roosevelt elk on the Olympic Peninsula. The animal will surely drop right into the devils club at the bottom of the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    That reads like a lesson from hard experience.

My evolving sense of how to approach Roosevelt hunting is as a bit like a hybrid of RME, moose, and oddly enough blacktail hunting.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Vendor Sponsor

That will be some hunt .. make sure you document it will and share when you return
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

yes the Roosevelt elk is big. I hunt them up in the Gifford Pinchot national forest. I am always amazed at how fast such a big animal can disappear into the woods ! I use a .35 Whelen 250 gr FN, so based on that I think your load should be fine. I don't know what type of optics you are using but if you are hunting in the Olympic national forest or any forest on the west side of the Cascades be prepared for RAIN and make sure your optics can handle that. Shooting range where I hunt has always been less than 150 yds, more like 75 and in thick cover.
    hope this...and good hunting
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    That reads like a lesson from hard experience.

My evolving sense of how to approach Roosevelt hunting is as a bit like a hybrid of RME, moose, and oddly enough blacktail hunting.
    I have also found that my favorite winter steelhead holes for bank fishing are in the same places. A tea made from boiled bark of devils club can be used as a rub to help with the infection that follows a run in with that evil plant.

Used to survey all over the Olympic peninsula, and devils club is appropriately named! That stuff is the bain of my existence. Worst plant on earth, or at least in the northern hemisphere. I've seen it twenty feet high, and as thick as a bamboo forest. Just go around a grove of that stuff. That's why most of my elk chasing is in the Gifford pinchot nowadays... Roosies are fun to chase, and they taste great!

Boolit Grand Master

Where are planning on hunting the Roosevelt Elk?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Devils club is in the gifford pinchot to , have logged and hunted there since the 70's , plenty around cowlitz county and west to the coast also .

Yeah its in the cascades in the Gifford pinchot, but its a lot less than on the peninsula.. I once chopped through a 20 acre patch of it with a machete trying to find a property corner. I looked like a pin cushion when I came out... But yeah, in ideal conditions its all over the northwestern half of oregon, Washington, bc, and southern Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Where are planning on hunting the Roosevelt Elk?
    That Southwestern kind of isolated chunk of the Olympic NF.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast