Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: First Time Using Hotplate

Boolit Mold

Smile First Time Using Hotplate

Wow! I used a hotplate to preheat/heat my mold for the first time ever today. I threw a pair of perfect bullets on the first cast, had very few rejects throughout the entire casting session and didn't have to balance my mold on top of the melting pot, which made it a lot easier to add my sprue back in. I'm not sure how I ever got by without it before.

Cast Boolits Owner

I remember my first time using a hot plate and from that point on I decided I would never be without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Use one on my 8 and 10 cavity Hensley and Gibbs molds. Saves a lot of time.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Use the plate to also pre-heat all your feed ingots! Really shortens up the recovery time when adding them to your casting pot.

I have 1 hooked up to a pid controller and found that 450 is just right for lee molds. I set a small square piece of 1/4 steel plate on top of the element and place the mold on top of that.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My first casting pot was a 10# Lyman with a cast iron liner and a wide lip around the top of the pot. It did the same duty that a hot plate does. When I graduated to a ProMelt the stainless liner did not heat the mold as well and it would take a few cast to get good bullets. Enter the Walmart hotplate and I'm getting good bullets on the first cast again! Yeah hotplate! I cut a 3/16 steel plate to fit the top of mine and use it to pre warm ingots also.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I cut a 3/16 steel plate to fit the top of mine and use it to pre warm ingots also.
    Now this is useful. I've been using my hotplate to heat my molds and ingots, but I had not thought about adding extra space to my heating plate with a steel plate. I generally do not have much space on my heating pad for more than one mold and an few ingots, but if I can add extra space, it looks like I can keep more heated on the plate. Thanks for that idea.

Boolit Master

Mine's setup with a TC guided by a PID. 1/4" aluminum plate on the heating surface. Did it first to "tame" a Lee DC but use it on my Lyman's too. Can repeat my settings accurately and the first bullets out are right on the money weight-wise. Also warm my ingots on there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hotplate TC.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	214607
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Be careful heating ingots, I had a mess on my hands one day when the heat was up too high. I had a big ole mess on my reloading bench.

I place ingots around the rim of the pot now.

I keep a couple of used circular saw blades to spread out the heat. I do like the thermocouple screwed into the heat diffuser. When you're preheating ingots do they significantly reduce the work the pot has to do to get the alloy up to temp so there is less time heating? Do you cover the hot plate to keep it warm around the molds and ingots?
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    I have a two burner hot plate one keeps the molds hot and the other cooks my coffee and keeps it hot .

Boolit Buddy

Hot plate is the way to go so little waste and the prewarmed ingots barely drop the pot temp.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    I keep a couple of used circular saw blades to spread out the heat. I do like the thermocouple screwed into the heat diffuser. When you're preheating ingots do they significantly reduce the work the pot has to do to get the alloy up to temp so there is less time heating? Do you cover the hot plate to keep it warm around the molds and ingots?
    I do cast inside and tried an insulated cover for the molds but found it not necessary and a nuisance for my needs. Have small aluminum shelves on my Lee 10# pots but find setting my hot plate at 390° gives me about 40° more heat. Mold is hot by time pot is up to temperature. Have weighed a lot of bullets and those first casts are always good. Hotter the ingots the better but not necessary in my case as I use a feeder pot up top and when I refill rarely get more than a couple degrees change in the lower pot. Wouldn't be without a hot plate anymore NOR my PID controllers. Flip a few switches, wait the 20 minute initial warm up time and I'm right where I want to be with repeatability.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

A hot plate and PID make a yuge difference! I used a #10 cut off can to make a warming oven.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewCastingTable 001.jpg  
    A deplorable that votes!

Vendor Sponsor

badgers we don't need no stinking badgers ... oh hotplate ..yea we want one of those
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Coffee can, cut a square out of the side for the mold handles to stick out, set over the hot plate, I also use an old saw blade with the teeth ground off over the element. My brass molds like 450 deg. ( they are drilled for a probe )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    Coffee can, cut a square out of the side for the mold handles to stick out, set over the hot plate, I also use an old saw blade with the teeth ground off over the element. My brass molds like 450 deg. ( they are drilled for a probe )
    Went looking for a coffee can. They are all Plastic! Had to buy tomatoes instead. LOL

Get a hotplate with a metal housing. My last one was some sort of plastic and did not hold up under continuous use. I bought a stamped steel proctor-silex this time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

In Remembrance
    My hotplate is a freeby that was on the curb many years ago. A two burner with a cast iron porcelain covered frame and solid heating elements (yeah, that old!). Not too much heat adjustment as it has rotary snap switches with Low-Medium-High. It has many uses around the shop.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM