Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
PBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Why so High?

Boolit Buddy

Why so High?

These Local LGS ( 60 mile radius ) are way high, i dunno who their distributors are but it is way to marked up. hazmat shipping is 28.50 up to 72 lbs of powder and/or 20k primers. but you pay no tax on out of state items so there's that if you order it. it is insane to save money on one jug of powder including hazmat. Local $197 total. Online $160.69 to my door. for one jug. If i buy 9 jugs off of one hazmat charge its $1773 Local or $1212 online both prices are in my hand, thats around 40% markup between the distributor and local store.

One pic is recobs online. the higher price is the lowest locally.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180219_141123.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	214586
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	214587

Boolit Master

Recobs turns their inventory very quickly. Your local guy might have his powder on the shelf for years before it sells.

A local guy has had 8 pounders of 2495 and Unique on his shelf for $199 plus 9.25% tax. It has been there for three or four years. Each year that it does not sell, he raises the price $10 on each. I am not an MBA but I don't think that is a winning pricing strategy.

Online the retailers can move more volume and they know online shoppers can price compare their price against the competitions in about a minute. I checked 3 places to order an 8# jug and some primers. The prices all came out within about $5 of each other. This one was a bit lower on the jug, that one a bit better on primers. There were a couple that were across the board a touch higher. $20 more for the powder, $4 more on the primers, few bucks higher hazmat fee. Shipping wasn't a bargain. So I don't buy there. They will figure it out, or not. Doesn't matter as long as the less expensive places value repeat customers enough to keep prices low.

All saved me about $40 on the powder even allowing for hazmat and shipping. Total price less going price LGS for primers = $25 per pound on the powder. Plus a couple of pounds of GOEX which isn't generally available locally went along for the ride. And that cost about a buck a pound less than local Pyrodex prices.

Guy that keeps raising prices is either adjusting to inventory replacement cost or adding another years worth of return on investment to the price. I don't think the markup on powder is that great. At some point I think it is correct to cut the price to lose as little as possible in order to put goods on the shelf that people will buy.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Have you asked the LGS owner about considering an offer ? I have talked to more than one owner informing him of what the real world pricing is. There are several places in East ILLinois I do not bother to visit at all.
    I am all for seeing a feller make a living... but I will not be cheated either. Nice thing about freedom is that door lets me leave empty handed.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Vote with your feet and your pocketbook.

Recob's, BPI, similar company's would love to have your business.
    Plan ahead, stock up a little bit. Buy 2 or more 8 lb jugs and 10,000 rounds of primers that spreads that hazmat out to where you hardly notice it. Does require a fair amount of cash up front. Means you need to plan ahead and know what you are going to need.

Boolit Buddy
    I talked to the guy behind the counter. The owner is never there. He couldn't change the prices
    I usually make a trio to powder valley or order alot at one time online. I made a mistake and got be86 instead of my normal shotgun/pistol powder and cam running low on shotgun only. Everything else is stocked to the max. It didn't help that I recently took up 5 stand shooting and dropping my own bird shot. Just wanted 8lbs to get me by till the next big order. Guess I'm gonna have to improvise until then.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but it reminds me of what I just experienced this past weekend. I had 1 table at a local gun show with my wife. This was the first time I have went to this show so really no one knew me there.
    I took 10 guns and some old scopes, dies, knifes, and misc. gun stuff for sale. Over the 2 days of the show I sold 6 of my long guns and at least 50 % of the small items.
    My neighbors that had tables around me sold 0 guns and very little else.
    They were nice people and I did look at most of there items and seen how high they had there items priced but wasn't about to say anything about prices to them.
    I just don't see how most of these people can pay for the tables, cost to drive to the show, haul in loads of goods and set it up , spend 16 + hours watching people walk by there tables without stopping to even look ?
    They would need to sell quite a bit to break even in my mind.

I made a small profit on my items but I had the stuff priced at what I would consider paying if I was looking to buy used items.
    The people who did have powder for sale were asking from $ 28 to $ 34 per pound and I can buy it at local shops for 4 to 10 dollars less per pound.
    I just don't understand why they would price items so high ?

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Check with a local skeet, trap, or clays range, ours has a truck load of clay birds delivered every two weeks and we can add powder, primers, shot, wads or whatever Gamaliels has to the order.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I hope I am not hijacking this thread but it reminds me of what I just experienced this past weekend. I had 1 table at a local gun show with my wife. This was the first time I have went to this show so really no one knew me there.
    I took 10 guns and some old scopes, dies, knifes, and misc. gun stuff for sale. Over the 2 days of the show I sold 6 of my long guns and at least 50 % of the small items.
    My neighbors that had tables around me sold 0 guns and very little else.
    They were nice people and I did look at most of there items and seen how high they had there items priced but wasn't about to say anything about prices to them.
    I just don't see how most of these people can pay for the tables, cost to drive to the show, haul in loads of goods and set it up , spend 16 + hours watching people walk by there tables without stopping to even look ?
    They would need to sell quite a bit to break even in my mind.

I made a small profit on my items but I had the stuff priced at what I would consider paying if I was looking to buy used items.
    The people who did have powder for sale were asking from $ 28 to $ 34 per pound and I can buy it at local shops for 4 to 10 dollars less per pound.
    I just don't understand why they would price items so high ?

Jedman
    Because those people are idiots. Mostly they ended my gun show visits. After years and years I got fed up with paying $5 or so to attend a show only to find used items for sale more than what I could buy new for.

I had a similar experience at the Reno Gun show a few years ago when powder & primers was selling at scalper prices. As I walked into the door at the show, there sit a guy that had primers for sale on his table. His lowest price was 50 bucks per thousand. Across the floor I saw the MiWall banner. They are a distributor for reloading supplies and about 30 miles from my house. I purchased a brick of primers, 5,000, from them for 130 bucks. If bought from the scalper at the door those 5,000 would have cost me 250 bucks. Now I know why the guy had a sour look on his face, I do not think he knew that MiWall would be there selling powder and primers at a more reasonable price. He still would not lower his price and probably took all his primers home with him at the end of the show.

I went to a local show last fall. Very little was selling. Lots of old and new items, but only the local store that had a booth and was selling at his normal discount price had a group of folks looking and buying. Few knives sold, but overall I only go to the big one in Tulsa just to see items up close that I don't see locally. Even there, probably 75% don't cover their table costs. Gun shops selling new at low prices do. And I found a couple of reloading sellers that had GOOD prices on several powders. I found one that was selling maybe a dollar a pound over wholesale. Most were $10 over..... at Bass Pro prices, especially primers.

Boolit Master

I've written off gun shows for the reasons stated above. Just not worth the time/money these days
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Greed.... That is why the prices are so high...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Yep I think the only new reloaders or a desperate reloader would purchase powder at the cost local guns around here. A new store opened and 35.00 bucks a pound (an average). Hazmat and shipping on 3 pounds would be covered. I can understand the brick and mortar building have overhead but I can not see 10.00 bucks over what I can get it for over the internet.