Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Fixed a pet peeve with plastic ammo boxes

Fixed a pet peeve with plastic ammo boxes

personal pet peeve. Love those 50 and 100 round ammo boxes but hate that the lid always wants to stay closed. mostly due to the plastic webbing on the back. Better boxes have hinges, but I've got a ton of these cheap ones.

Happened to have the heat gun handy for another project, and got to thinking maybe I can change the memory of the plastic to an open position. as you can see, initial results are promising.
    We will see how things work after they've been closed for awhile.

Before:

After:

Boolit Master

My problem with those things is they eventually break. I've started buying boxes from Midsouth with hinges, and they're as cheap or cheaper than the MTM brand. But in the mean time this will come in handy for the ones I haven't replaced yet.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I liked the nice neat look of those boxes, but now just fill plastic bags with boolits! Simple, cheap and practical (particularly when one uses a lot with Single Action shooting).

A good idea, though, about the hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    My problem with those things is they eventually break. I've started buying boxes from Midsouth with hinges, and they're as cheap or cheaper than the MTM brand. But in the mean time this will come in handy for the ones I haven't replaced yet.
    I bookmarked that link those are nice boxes at a good price. I use the cheap ones and the top always wanting to be closed is sort of annoying will try the blow dryer to see if that can be changed but eventually those ones from Midsouth look like a better product and a good deal.

I tend to dump loaded rounds in plastic zip lock bags and put those in caliber specific plastic ammo "cans" from Harbor Freight. Things are all wrong for most boxed ammo but work really well for several hundred stored in baggies. They stack, don't hold enough to break their handles (so far), are a manageable weight. On sale less than $5 https://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-box-61451.html

Exception is when it is something such as laddered rounds of a new powder, odd load, different gas check or weight which go in smaller plastic boxes.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I like back of the bench with all the tool heads lined up except mine are for my 550s with dedicated powder measures mounted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I bookmarked that link those are nice boxes at a good price. I use the cheap ones and the top always wanting to be closed is sort of annoying will try the blow dryer to see if that can be changed but eventually those ones from Midsouth look like a better product and a good deal.

I tend to dump loaded rounds in plastic zip lock bags and put those in caliber specific plastic ammo "cans" from Harbor Freight. Things are all wrong for most boxed ammo but work really well for several hundred stored in baggies. They stack, don't hold enough to break their handles (so far), are a manageable weight. On sale less than $5 https://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-box-61451.html

Exception is when it is something such as laddered rounds of a new powder, odd load, different gas check or weight which go in smaller plastic boxes.
    I do the same for bulk ammo storage, except that I vacuum pack them into flat packages for easier stacking, and to fit better in the ammo can I plan on storing them in.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega;4295359[B
    I vacuum pack them into flat packages for easier stacking[/B].
    Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

put you up for the Nobel Shooting Prize (if only)

great find--off to melt all of mine while trying to copy your success
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Berry's Manufacturing has changed all their ammo boxes over to hinges now. I just ordered 100 of them at the SHOT Show, and they're a huge improvement over the old fixed hinge boxes. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

RogerDat, those boxes look really good for the money! I can't find anything like that here, unfortunately..

Boolit Master

Thanks anothernewb, I have to try that. Maybe I can salvage some older or newer ammo boxes.

Like Omega, when buying I have switched to buying MidSouth's US-made, true hinge boxes. Got a bunch in 2011 and still keep buying them. So far, so good.

Probably the best made boxes were MTM. I didn't know they tried the "living hinge" for a while. I have some hinged MTM's from the 80's that are still going strong. They are a too pricey for buying in bulk.

I still have have many mid-1990's Midway blue boxes that still have a good "living hinge", but the living hinge splits and overall attrition rate is growing. I have gotten my money's worth.

My experience with Midway's (uh, "Frankford Arsenal") newer Chinese made boxes is that they are JUNK. Not because of country of origin per se, but the product itself. I ordered a bunch in 2011 and was horrified. When dropped, they crack or even shatter. They came warped, the lids have gaps where they meet the bottoms, and the "living hinge" starts splitting the moment you start using it. Right now they are sitting up on a shelf. I guess it's a little late to return them. Maybe the heat gun can salvage a few for use.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Our local Mill's Fleet farm has been stocking Plano 100 round hinged boxes with two catch's to hold them closed. Under 4$ each, mostly in the 3.59$ area. I have been stocking and filling and stocking for a bit now. Ammo table is starting to groan. They come with sticky labels. But often I just write caliber, load info with black sharpie.

Then if I want to change caliber, load, a piece of paper towel and a squirt of goo-gone erases it.

Beats the heck out of the 50 round flip top boxes IMO. Although I have a few places where I prefer those due to space, weight considerations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Our local Mill's Fleet farm has been stocking Plano 100 round hinged boxes with two catch's to hold them closed. Under 4$ each, mostly in the 3.59$ area. I have been stocking and filling and stocking for a bit now. Ammo table is starting to groan. They come with sticky labels. But often I just write caliber, load info with black sharpie.

Then if I want to change caliber, load, a piece of paper towel and a squirt of goo-gone erases it.

Beats the heck out of the 50 round flip top boxes IMO. Although I have a few places where I prefer those due to space, weight considerations.

Hoppes #9 will take it right off also. I am amazed at all the uses I have found for Hoppes. Good tapping fluid in a pinch. Removes label glue, etc. [I] even use it for cleaning guns! LOL

Boolit Grand Master
    I need to try some. Gave up on the living hinge boxes. Some of MY favorite boxes are the slip top boxes I got from Herters 40+ years ago. None have ever failed although one row was a bit snug. I think they were $.27 ea IIRC.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I went with the Plano hinged boxes. Out of 50 I have one failure. One has a broken catch (the other one holds it closed) after being dropped 4 feet. The load labels they give you are a joke.
    Before I bought them I called Plano, they said these were made in USA. FOR 9mm I pick up Federal 9 mm boxes & trays at the range. Spray the boxes w/ white paint & use dollar store file labels on all boxes for load data.

Boolit Master
    Those semi transparent MTM boxes, that the OP pictured are the ones to avoid....they will crack when dropped. However, the MTM opaque ones with the more rounded corners (similar to Omega's), will take a "licking and keep on ticking". I have some that are over 40 years old and still in service. I've tried many of the off brands and keep coming back to MTM. RCBS made some nice ones but they were prohibitively expensive. Another brand, that I can't recall, would only accept 44 magnum J-words.......couldn't close the lid when rounds were loaded with 240 SWC cast.

Winelover

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I liked the nice neat look of those boxes, but now just fill plastic bags with boolits! Simple, cheap and practical (particularly when one uses a lot with Single Action shooting).

A good idea, though, about the hinges.

I`ve been doing the ziplock bag route for about 20 or more years for loaded ammo and lube/sized boolets. I finally got tired of buying ammo boxes or boxes with no seperators. Friends or other people I knew would get either ammo or loose bullets from me in those nice boxes, and then never think to return them - even if I told them I wanted them returned!Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    and then never think to return them - even if I told them I wanted them returned!Robert
    +1 on that!
    though I finally get them back when they want more ammo

same with empty brass--they hold it forever and then wonder why I don't have it loaded for them at a moment's notice
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place