Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Just picked up a flatside 95 chambered in 38-72 and...

Just picked up a flatside 95 chambered in 38-72 and...

Greetings Gents!

I Paid for it today and will be taking a journey to pick it up this weekend. I now find myself in need of some brass (can form it from 405 which I have if absolutely necessary) and some dies...

If there is anybody here that has some dies and brass well I would be inclined to make a deal for them if they are not being used.

I know I can buy some RCBS dies from Midway for $200 or from Dave at CH4D for less. I really only need a sizing die because I can get away using some existing dies for the bell and seat if necessary. I was hoping that one of you may have an orphan set without a rifle.

I will post some pics when in-hand. It is a 4 digit (of the same number) serial numbered rig to boot!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Oh Cool Post a picture !!! Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    Mike V penned a piece a while back about the differences betwixt the 38-72 and the 405, particularly in regard to forming brass from 405 Win. Rims are thicker on 405

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats! I'll bet I can guess the serial number in five tries or less.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Congrats! I'll bet I can guess the serial number in five tries or less.
    1111, 2222, 3333, or 4444. 4 tries... under 5K were flatsides...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    1111, 2222, 3333, or 4444. 4 tries... under 5K were flatsides...

Yes, for the most part. I've collected Winchesters long enough to give myself a little room. They used both receivers between 5000 and 6000 and a very few second variation rifles have serial numbers under 5000. Can't rule out the possibility that 5555 is a first generation but it's unlikely.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I was just helping you increase your odds TX! I am no expert but I do love me an old Winchester in an odd caliber for sure!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, I suck at gambling. I share your love for old Winchesters but quite honestly haven't wandered down the 38-72 path. If your bore is good I may have some resources for you.

Boolit Grand Master
    I rechambered a 38-55 NEF Handi rifle barrel to 38-72 and used 405 brass as that was what I spec'd the reamer for. Decided to put it thru its paces, thinking the gun will handle some pretty stout 45-70 loads. I won't say my loads here as I don't think a '95 is up to the task, but 270 gr bullets at 2,400 fps is no slouch. My shoulder agreed with that statement too. Bad thing was, the recoil caused the safety bar thingy to fly out of the gun!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Another 1895 fan here... Although most of ours are that fine old 30 Gov. You have a fine caliber to be loading up. Caliber 38's are dandies for most hunting needs. Have thought numerous times of sending JES Reboring one of our 95's to get opened up to a 38... a 38 Krag would take care of a lot of hunting needs.
    I would think some standard sizing dies would get your case close enough to chamber a round for fire forming. Get the case head to diameter and the rest of the case run into a 38-55 sizer until it chambers, load and touch it off.

Hey rockrat
    270 grainers at 2400 fps is a similar load we launch out of a Winchester High Wall (repro) with a 28' barrel chambered in a 38-95 which is more commonly called a 375 H&H.
    Not real surprised the Handy Rifle was upchucking parts. Maybe some JB weld in there will keep that safety bar steady.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    If you have to use .405 brass you might use a .303 brit die to start the taper. Then use a cut off .375 H&H FL die to neck down the case mouth. A .38-56 FL die would also work for neck sizing.

There is an over priced Lyman Ideal hand die on ebay in .38-72.
    There is also a set of dies.
    Both are best offer so you might offer the guy $15 or so for his hand die.
    Last edited by EDG; 02-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    EDG