Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Rossi m92 44 mag mold advice

Rossi m92 44 mag mold advice

Hey folks
    I just purchased a 2015 production rossi m92 in 44 mag and want to start casting for it.
    I slugged the bore and it is .432".
    My question to any of you who own one is what molds are you guys using to cast for it? Any issues with different bullet profiles?
    What overall length are you getting away with? Any help is greatly appreciated

Boolit Master

I have this one http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...m6lmnceoucd397
    It shoots like a dream just have to seat it then crimp it due to it being oversized from normal 44 pistol size or at least that's how it is for my RCBS die. But, I have zero feed problems with it. If you want the reloading data from ranch dog Let me know. (pm me)
    Another rout is http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Code=ZBJ-44MAG
    I use both.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use Accurate 43-230G in mine, which is a .44-40, also use it in my .44 Magnums. Use front crimp groove for 1.60" OAL.

Attachment 214585
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorites are RD designed bullets in 240 gr. and 265 gr., and I got the early molds made by Lee. In my Puma I run them through a Lee .432" sizer I opened up to .433"-.4335" Most of the time if my temps are right on, the bullets drop from the molds about .433"-.434".And I dip lube in 45-45-10. Works quite well in my 3, .44 Magnum revolvers, my Contender and my Puma...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I was looking at the ranch dog 265 but N.O.E. is out of stock on them besides a plain base mold. They do have the tl in 243 gr wich looks good.
    kungfustyle: I'm surprised a bullet with such a long nose will feed. I heard these rossi 's are quite sensitive to C.O.A.L.
    I really like the idea of a heavier bullet but all the nose lengths seem to be too long to keep it to 1.610" or so.
    Like I said I don't have any experience loading for this gun. And unfortunately it's near impossible to try different bullet weights and profiles for me considering I don't have anyone to ask for a few samples to try.
    Thanks for your help so far
    Keep the suggestions coming
    Thanks

Boolit Man
    Mine will feed ghe Lee 310 gr. Just fine. Unfortunately I have atight spot under the dovetail for the rear sight. Any cast leads up the bore, so j words for that one unless I can get that thing to open up.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had good luck with the RD 240 grain tl gc. It shot well in the older interarms puma I had, I sold it and kept the .357, but wish I still had them both.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Mine shoots the lee 200 rnf really well. It's a plain base so I don't push it all that hard. For thumper loads I run the Lyman 429244 both solid and HP. It fits and feeds. If I need anything more than that I just switch to the 444.

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't cast, Beartooth Bullets make some excellent Long Flat Nose and Wide Flat Nose bullets in 44 caliber. They are available from 240 gr and up, with diameters from .429" - .432". Before i got my RD molds I used the 250 gr. LFN in .432" in my 5, 44 Magnums...
    http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Thanks for your input guys
    I ended up ordering a 243 gr tumble lube mold from N.O.E.
    Got one with 2 pb and 2 gas check cavities. Going to see how well they work out. Then will be looking for a mold for a heavier slug as well. Wanting a 280gr -300 gr option. I see that N.O.E makes one much like the 310 gr Lee. That might be an option

I was looking at the one that NOE have for 310gr but do not have them in stock for some time.I end up getting it from someone else for the Lee mold.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA