Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WTB 16 ga empty cases and 8x57 reloading dies, 8x57 rimmed brass.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast

WTB 16 ga empty cases and 8x57 reloading dies, 8x57 rimmed brass.

I have a Drilling on it's way and would like to find what I need to shoot it. It's a J. P. Sauer 16x16 over 8x57 JR. It was made in 1933 so it should have 2 1/2 inch chambers. I would like any 16 gauge hulls though. Prefer Rem or Win. I will also need to convert a Mec Jr press to 16 gauge. I'm also interested in dies and brass. Gas checked FN bullet mold for the 32 Win special etc.

Just a tip — I have been watching eVile bay for a conversion for a 600jr also and it seems to me your money ahead to just buy another press that is already that gauge. It not much more than the $100 kit to convert your press.
    Uncle Dave

Boolit Master

pm sent of 8x57 dies. james

Thanks Uncle Dave. I have noticed that too. I will keep searching. 16 gauge is less popular then 28 by what I have found. Finding someone with dies just sitting around is a real long shot. I would think there are some empty hulls out there though.

Boolit Master

PM sent on 16 ga dies

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent on 16 gauge hulls, wads, and Lee Load-All.
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Boolit Bub
    Just a thought, if you don't know the diameter of the rifle bore for sure, you might want to slug the bore.
    The diameter of the 8mm is all over the place with that era of drilling.
    "It's a good day for something"

Dave - I have a couple of drillings in that caliber and gauge (one a 1929 model and one 1932). Rudy is right about slugging the bore to be sure, but both of mine are .318 diameter (8X57JR), as are most, versus the more modern .323 diameter (8X57JRS). Just like firing a 2 3/4" 16ga in a 2 1/2 or 2 9/16" chamber, pressures would be "way too much". S & B still sells factory ammo for the 8X57JR (BTW, both cartridges are "rimmed") and Huntington markets "specialized" RCBS dies in this caliber. RWS sells brass for this caliber. Bullets can be resized from .323 to .318 through a cast bullet sizing die by "lubing" with Lee case lube (not ALOX) and driven through with a proper size punch a couple of times. Older (1960 circa) Norma reloading manual list max pressure for the 8X57JR at 37,300PS - don't push it, for these fine old guns are nearing the century mark. It will fire a 175gr jacketed bullet about 2450 to 2500 and a 200gr bullet about 2250 to 2350fps. This caliber drilling also responses well to a 175gr cast bullet at about 1750 to 1900fps. I also recommend you have a competent "smith" check out the shotgun chambers; for many people had them let out to 2 3/4". Congrats on your purchase.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Dave, if you end up with the MEC dies, if you have a choice between plastic dies or the older metal ones I would go with the metal one. I've got both and I prefer the job the metal ones do over the newer plastic ones.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a set of dies lined up now and hopefully some 16 gauge supplies. I will definitely slug the bore. I had an old 8 by 57 Jr drilling before and it slugged almost .321

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

RST sells loaded 2 1/2" 16 ga shells. Ballistic Products has everything shotshell reloading, including 2 1/2" 16 ga

Oh yeah, with the age, and fact it is a drilling, it might be an 8x57 JR - .318" Rimmed... EDIT! DUH! You mentioned in the original post that it IS an 8x57JR!
    Last edited by oscarflytyer; 02-20-2018 at 11:14 PM.

I think I have 16 gauge and Brass taken care of and have a set of dies on its way. Thanks for all you guys help. Now I just need to find a mold that'll drop about it 321 bullet prefer with a gas check in a flat nose. This may be a job for Accurate bullet molds

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

There is a 16 ga forum you might want to check out. lots of guys with lots of information. don't have the link but is easy to google

Boolit Master

Hah. just try registering on that site and experience a new level of exasperation.