Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
PBcastcoLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neat trick to save money

Boolit Master
    I used play caps for a while but it destroyed the pistol. EXTREMELY CORROSIVE. Like pouring acid on your gun.

Boolit Master
    The first time I seen 1/4 "plastic tube used on a 1/4 X 28 nipple was to protect its B/P Cap mounting on a #11 rifle nipple done to eliminate (rain wet'ed) miss-fires.
    Never dawned on me to exchange a B/P Cap with small pistol primers. I wonder if the use of a Magnum S/P primer would ignite some of those hard to ignite {inline rifle} substitute powders? ~~~Don't know if that idea benefits a side lock all that much?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    The first time I seen 1/4 "plastic tube used on a 1/4 X 28 nipple was to protect its B/P Cap mounting on a #11 rifle nipple done to eliminate (rain wet'ed) miss-fires.
    Never dawned on me to exchange a B/P Cap with small pistol primers. I wonder if the use of a Magnum S/P primer would ignite some of those hard to ignite {inline rifle} substitute powders? ~~~Don't know if that idea benefits a side lock all that much?
    If you are curious if they’d ignite BH209 the answer is no. A fellow made some custom nipples that fire large primers and someone who received a set tried this. He needed a booster charge for it to work well. I’ve never had issues igniting T7 or Pyrodex with a percussion cap.

In Remembrance
    I have been doing this for about 3 years now. SP primers at about $28.00/1000 vs caps at $60.00/100, no brainer. And you can sometimes get 2-3 uses from the piece of tubing.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Wow, why didn't I think of that. I will try that on a rifle.
    Thanks
    Nit Wit

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Just tried it with a piece of small diameter tubing and it works well. I had one misfire out of three primers and that was due to misalignment on the nipple. The #11 nipples are a tight fit into the anvil side of the primer and if it doesn't align just right it misfires. Bet a #10 nipple that is found in revolvers would be a lot better. Great tip, regular #11 caps are going for over $11.00 a tin around here, pistol or small rifle primers around $4.00 per package. Any way to save a buck helps.
    11 bucks? Wow! I haven't bought any for about 8 years because I shoot mostly flinters, but now I'll have to give this a try. They sure weren't that much last time I got some.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    11 bucks? Wow! I haven't bought any for about 8 years because I shoot mostly flinters, but now I'll have to give this a try. They sure weren't that much last time I got some.
    They are available at Cabela's etc. for $7 or less in some places...........still too high.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Fantastic ! A super use for all those cheap out of diameter Rusky primers.

Another thought... Good tight fitting tubing may be near water tight. Those sudden shower days that catch us out and wandering may become near "no issue" without "dripping hot wax".
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Jeeves! This is genious, pure genious!

This looks like it might solve another problem common to BP revolvers and that is broken cap fragments jamming the works. Not sure, but I bet that vinyl tube will hold the cap in place after shooting a full-power load.

I have tried using Large Rifle primers and simply removed the anvils. They fit Ok on a #11 rifle nipple but were a pain to deal with.

Have any one try this on a side lock rifle? if so how did go?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12