Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Accurate Mould for S&W 24-3

Boolit Mold

Accurate Mould for S&W 24-3

I am looking for a Accurate mould that will work well with my S&W 24-3. Throats measure .433 and bore measures .430. With a 4" bbl a 240 gr bullet works well . I have several .44cal 245-250 gr moulds. but would like to go with a 4 cav. aluminum. Alloy will be clip on ww and range lead. Prefer a RNFP. design. Any replys thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My "go-to" bullet in all of my .44s is the Accurate 43-230G, which is a double-crimp-groove design:

Attachment 214556

Use the rear crimp groove to seat out long in .44 Special brass to increase powder capacity, or to exploit the longer cylinder length of Ruger revolvers. The front crimp groove keeps rounds within SAAMI OAL in the .44 Magnum and .44-40 to feed in the Winchester '92 and Marlin lever-actions, and to stay within the cylinder length of older S&Ws.

When you order the mold Tom can optimize diameters for your gun and alloy, and it would be easy to make the base band a bit wider to bump the weight up a bit, or to add a GC heel if you prefer.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I recently added the Accurate 43-210A for my Ruger GP100s in .44 Spec.(yes, I have the 3" SS & the Lipsey 5").

It is more accurate than I & Accurate will furnish them in the dia. of your choice.

It's my 3rd. Accurate mold.

Henry

Boolit Master
    I have a 24-3 with a 6.5" barrel...has the same dimensions as yours. I use a Lyman 429667 sized to .431"...works just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Arsenal Molds makes a 245 gr.rnfp in .432. He can also customise diameters for you. The Accurate molds are without peer. but the Arsenal molds are very good at half the price of an accurate.
    Kirk

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the help. I have 200 gr RCBS CM that cast a little too small, running .430 and Lymans 429421 and RCBS 245 gr SWC. that I can get to .431. But they are 2 cav. so a 4 cav is what I am looking for. I have heard good things about Accurate Moulds so thought I would give them a try. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a 24-3 last weekend. I've heard the throats tend to run large on them. Seems to happen to a lot of S&W revolvers for some odd reason. I really like the feel of it, I guess it was the prototype for the "Mountain Gun" series. I have Lyman 429421, RCBS 44-240-SWC and an old Lyman 429434 gas check mold. I'll have to see which one casts the largest...

Love to hear from you on how yours works out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_4096.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    My 24-3 4" goes with me to the range everytime. I cast some , and buy some. The 240 gr seems to work the best.200 gr shoot low and 210 gr about the same.The 240 gr work best for me. I use Red Dot ,Win 231 ,and Unique with reasonable charges. Lymans 429421 works well but with my supply of range lead they weigh about 250 gr.All sized .431 Enjoy , you own one of S&W most sought after revolvers. I also have a 6" 24-3 that is a tack driver,with a 429421 and unique.

Boolit Master
    The model 24 is one of the nicest most beautiful S&W's made. My 4" is fed with 7.5 Unique with 250 Keith. Have shot heavy Keith loads in it but to what purpose? Been trying 8.0 of Power Pistol lately with the Keith and it does very well. They are dandy's.

Boolit Grand Master

My first thought, and opinion, is that an "N" frame S&W needs a Keith Type bullet. I don't have a 24 but my 29's and 629's both like them. I have a Super Red Hawk that I have not shot yet but it will have the Keith bullet in its diet too!

Boolit Mold
    I agree, Probably one of the nicest S&W revolvers made. Perfect balance. I just cast a bunch of Seaco 240 SWC that weigh .238-.240. It a 2 cav so takes a while to get much done. My Lymans 429421 is a 4 cav and you can make a pile of bullets in a hurry. I have several 44 spl. 2 Rugers Flat Tops and a 1960 Blackhawk that gets the Skeeter load ,429421 and 7.5 gr Unique. Great cartridge, easy to cast for and load. Read every Skeeter Skelton book and article I can find.

I have 3 of the same gun in stainless steel, the Model 624 ... 2 of them with 6 1/2" barrels and 1 in a 4" barrel. None of them are at all fussy as to what they will shoot. I've tried several different bullets (but mostly I've used the Lyman #429421) with about 6 or 7 different powders from Bullseye to 2400 and they seem to shoot everything well. When I bought my first 6 1/2" gun I loaded some initial test loads with a wide variety of powders including Bullseye, Red Dot, 700X, Green Dot, W231, and Unique. When I shot them up at the range I had a hard time telling any of the groups apart ... they all shot into beautiful round 6 shot clusters. That's why I eventually bought 2 more of them!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

My 44 HE shooter

My 44 HE (a/k/a pre Model 24) is a great shooter using Hensley & Gibbs #503 (the TRUE Keith designed bullet) over 5.5 gr WW231. Nice light load that shoots the hairs off a fly's butt at 25 yards.
    The gun is hardly pristine. It has about 90% (maybe less) bluing left and has been carried a LOT! The grips are Altamont replacements. The screws are perfect. It has been shot very little.
    ....and I have the original Lawrence Holster purchased with the gun in 1950.
    Attachment 215217 Attachment 215218
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Honest blue wear is just the character coming out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bluing wear on a revolver is like wrinkles on an old friend.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.