Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 38 Super Shoots High, Have ?s

Boolit Bub

38 Super Shoots High, Have ?s

Went to the range yesterday with three loads for for my 38 Super. The gun is a Sig 1911 Traditional Match Elite with adjustable sights. I was shooting at 25 yards off of a rest. In all three loads, I was using 4.9 grains of Bullseye with a COL of 1.265”.

Bullet #1: 130 gr Win FMJ, .356
    Bullet #2: 125 gr Hornady HAP, .356
    Bullet #3: 125 gr Hard cast RN, .356 (best group size of the three)

I did not have a chronograph, but from an older Alliant book, these should run about 1000-1100 FPS. Max loading with the 130gr FMJ is listed as 5.1 gr at 1170 FPS.

The point of impact for all three loads was roughly identical. The first group I shot with the 130 gr Win FMJ was 8-9” high using a 6 o’clock hold. I adjusted the rear sights all the way down and they are now bottomed out, with no more adjustment available. All three loads are still shooting 2-3” high at 25 yards.

Could this be the result of a lighter bullet at a modrate to slower speed for the caliber?

I have some 147 gr Hornady XTPs (.355) I will load up and shoot next, but I think I am going to have to swap the front sight for a taller one eventually. The factory front sight is .245” from the bottom of the dove tail to the top of the sight and the sight blade itself is .185” tall.

Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    light bullets should print lower than heavy due to dwell time in the barrel and recoil. I would look into a higher front sight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

If your velocities are low to moderate, bump up the velocity to lower the point of impact. Might not take much, but shorter dwell time will print lower.

Also, shoot them without the rest. I tend to shoot with a looser grip from a rest if I don't watch myself. The looser grip can allow the gun to rise a bit more and shoot high. Try to maintain your normal grip when shooting from a rest.

Boolit Master
    Also, shoot them without the rest. I tend to shoot with a looser grip from a rest if I don't watch myself. The looser grip can allow the gun to rise a bit more and shoot high. Try to maintain your normal grip when shooting from a rest.
    Good advice. When shooting from a rest one should grip the gun as if shooting off-hand and then slowly lower on to the rest just enough to stabilize the wobble. Also I prefer a relatively soft rest so as not to get any "bounce". I would surely try it off-hand before getting too excited. A faster MV or lighter bullet will bring POI down somewhat as well.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to shoot it again later today. Both offhand and with a rest. I have some faster loads I’ll try too.

I would use a slower powder and bump up the velocity. The .38 Super is built to run fast. Mine prefer powders such as Power Pistol, and velocities up near the maximum for the bullet weight.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    When shooting from a rest the pistol should not be rested on its stocks if point of impact changes are not desired. Shoot with support near wrists with the butt of the pistol resting in the hands only with no point of contact there against any surface. Such contact tends to make the gun shoot high for me.

Boolit Bub
    Went back to the range today. Still shooting high at 25 yards, even offhand. This was with 147 gr XTPs and the 130 gr FMJ. I also shot some factory Sig Sauer 125 gr FMJ for comparison. Shoots high. I shortened the distance to 7 yards and shot the factory Sig Sauer loads offhand. It shoots to point of aim at 7 yards, but the rear sight is lowered all the way down to its lowest point. I may load up some fast 115s just to see. If things don’t improve, I will send it back to Sig.

Boolit Master
    I have the same Sig 38 super. Shooting either the MiHec 130 or the Lee 120 TC and there is plenty of rear sight adjustment. Very interesting you are having issues. I would think they messed up at Sig and put on the wrong sights or something.

Boolit Master
    I do use Herco or Longshot and at around 1100 fps with the TC to nearly 1200 fps with the Mihec design

Boolit Master
    If the front sight is the same that is on all .38 Supers you may have a barrel that was not properly fitted to the slide. If the locking lugs on the barrel are not seating deep enough into the recesses on the slide the barrel is pointing "up" slightly from the chamber to the muzzle causing the bullets to shoot high. This may settle in as you shoot the gun...or just get a taller front sight.

As a long time .38 Super shooter I would also suggest getting away from Bullseye. Unique, AAC-7, AAC-9, Blue Dot, SR4756...anything but Bullseye unless you just want to have target as in 9mm velocity loads. Just too easy to get too much powder in there...

My favorite cast bullet is the SAECO 383. It runs 140 grains and doesn't look like it could possibly feed but runs great in 9mms and .38 Super. Montana Bullet Works carries them.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-140gr-swc-pb/

With 6 grains of Unique they run 1230 fps and shoot great groups.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7591_zpsbb16fba7.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	215289

Name:	DSCF7595_zps1a90f9a2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	215290

Name:	DSCF7594_zps9bad7242.jpg