RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataPBcastco
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing squirrel rifle

Boolit Bub

Packing squirrel rifle

I am not the first guy to try to get a compact 22 rifle in his pack while out deer hunting and when nothing is moving except a bunch of bushytails, smack a couple for the crockpot.
    What are some options for, say a gun that is either very short, or breaks down in to nothing longer than maybe 20 inches; if it breaks down, my preference (for repeatable POI) would be for the optic to stay with the barrel. The Thompson Contender comes to mind which is an option since handguns are legal in my state.
    Other options?

...and the BEST load for that particular job is the CCI Quiet Segmented. The Quiet boolits are good, but they pray when you hit em with a segmented... and barely any noise if using a long barrel either.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

this is a fun rifle that you can pack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjeRFCf3x9E
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Henry also makes a version of the AR-7.

Boolit Master
    I was going to say the Henry AR-7 .22 LR take down rifle is a good choice. Everything comes apart and fits into the buttstock.
    Now then Chiappa makes several folding guns and combo guns too. These are single shot, but you can get up to three different calibers with the combo guns. They have a 20 gauge, 22 LR dual barrel folding gun with a rifle caliber insert for the shotgun barrel. .243 Winchester if I remember right.
    There used to be several companies that made take down or folding combo guns in the past, such as 12 gauge and 30-30, etc. So you may still come across them for sale in the used gun market.

Boolit Master
    Kruger 10-22 takedown was made for this very reason.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Bub
    Ruger charger , 4.5" barrel, KAK brace, rimfire suppressor if legal for hunting in your state would make it perfect. Standard or takedown model. Google "Ruger charger KAK brace" for lots of pics and information.

If you're willing to do some searching for a good one, the old Stevens Favorite single shot is superb at this job. Takes down with one thumbscrew, longer part is the barrel, which was 22 or 24 inches, but easily cut back to 18. Weight about 4 pounds. Get a "1915" model if you want to use High Velocity ammo. The older "1894" should be limited to subsonic. Watch Gunbroker. It's no exaggeration to suggest that Favorites may have accounted for more squirrels than any other make/model of rifle. Reline the barrel and cut a tight competition chamber, and it will shoot better than you can hold.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Rather than all the weight and bulk of an extra rifle why not pack some mouse fart loads for your deer rifle? I PC some 100 gr PB bullets over a light charge of pistol powder in my '06. Its super quiet and hits at 25 yards right where the thick part of the bottom wire of my scope comes to a point. Don't get me wrong i like compact .22's also this is just another way to skin that cat.

Boolit Master
    Browning SA22, OR A Cricket youth rifle. I wouldn't bother with a scope, no leaves during deer season and opens work fine to 25 , at least for me. A micro red dot might be interesting, but irons always hold zero, and dont need batteries. A Charger is relatively small and the original stock can be anchored under your cheekbone for near rifle stability if Roy can get snuggled upto a tree! The things are VERY accurate! You need a rifle scope on the barrel for that setup or a red dot. all the above will make squirrel head groups at 50 when scoped as well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Look at Chiappa Lil Badger. I have 3 of them. Love them. Todd/3leg

Boolit Grand Master
    Those youth model types make for a nice, light, short .22. I bought my kids a Henry single shot to start them out, and it's a well made, durable little .22. Tiny, in fact. The original equipped sight are adequate, but I've been tempted to D&T for a red dot.

Boolit Bub
    I like those Browning auto's. I also never thought about reloading my 270 with gallery stuff; another great idea. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthealders View Post
    Other options?
    http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

.22LR or .410. Perfect little set up in it's own case.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I like a scoped Contender.

Boolit Master

Carried my original AR-7 by Armalite [camo stock] for many years till I started carrying a S&W 34 kit gun with short hollow points. The S&W was lighter and fit in my coat pocket lots better.

I have a Ruger 10-22TD, but I am not particularly impressed with the accuracy. What I do like a lot is a Savage MKII FVSR, but it's nearly 2x your stated max length at 35".

It has the factory 'tupperware' stock, and the finish is just a blued 'rough' finish, but it's surprisingly accurate, pretty light and I don't worry about it getting a scratch or nick when I'm trompin' around in the brush or wadin' the creek.

I second the mouse fart or reduced load for the game rifle. My goal, is the same point of aim at 25 yards, as the rifle is sighted to at 100 yards. Or as some usable spot on the open sights.

Banned

I'd look into something like this. Not sure what it would take to do one like this, but it would sure fit the bill.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ern-Rook-rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast