Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Packing squirrel rifle

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

.22LR or .410. Perfect little set up in it's own case.
    I'll vouch for this one. And the .22 barrel is VERY accurate.
    Our Marlin Papoose and all AR7's I've shot are not.

Banned

I spend a bit of time on tree stands every year and the number of squirrels I have around me on any given day is crazy. Some will almost climb in my lap to see what this thing in the tree is.

During bow season, it's illegal to have a firearm on you and during muzzle loader season, it's illegal to have any kind of firearm on you that's not a muzzle loader.

Crossman makes that underlever pneumatic target pistol and they even make stocks for it. I've considered getting one to carry for squirrels on a tree stand when I don't want to scare deer into the next county. Might have to look into that before next Fall.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

One of my favorite small game rifles is the Chipmunk...Small, weighs only a few pounds and accurate...

Boolit Master
    Pietro, I have see that posted before, plumb cool! Did you build it ? Need more pics too!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I would like to see it unfolded.

The Bicycle Rifle pictured is not mine - as you might be able to tell by the buttstock, the builder was an excellent machinist, a skill I don't have.

I did, however, build a similar example in .22 Magnum after I saw his - but with a folding buttstock made of heli-arced aluminum tubing.

The most difficult part was figuring out the buttstock hinge, which in turn effects the grip panel config.

Last edited by pietro; 02-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

My Henry AR7 exhibits very similar accuracy as in the GunsAmerica review.
    This is actually five shots, made from 25 yards–shots were made from the shoulder, standing. This is the first five shots I made with the gun, but it repeated this performance over and over again.
    https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content...urvival-23.jpg
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 02-23-2018 at 07:51 PM.

My AR-7 (Charter arms) shot really lousy with the OEM barrel, with an after market barrel it improved to mediocre. My S&W 22 kit gun is the only Smith I've ever been around that doesn't drive tacks. What does work wonderful for me is an adapter I got from Sportsmans Guide that lets me shoot .32 ACP in my .30-06. 1" groups at 25 yards. Quiet as an air rifle.
    My .02

Boolit Mold
    Semi auto pistol: Ruger MK II, III
    Revolver: S&W Model 17
    Rifle: Seems a bit cumbersome to be packing a rifle around while deer hunting, so I’d defer to the pistol and make it a bit more challenging.

The Henry AR7 gets very good reviews.If you go to a handgun you might consider a Ruger 22/45 light-weight version for weight saving.

Here in Ohio we can't have a second firearm while deer hunting but I wish we could.
    A friend of mine bought a cheap $ 99 22 bolt action single shot kids first rifle at Walmart small like the chipmunk. He has a year round bait pile going and shoots lots of opossums, starlings, and anything else that he feels needs killin and That little rifle does the job at 20 yards.
    I think it would be plenty accurate enough for squirrels and it only weighs a pound or two.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
    One of my favorite small game rifles is the Chipmunk...Small, weighs only a few pounds and accurate...
    Chipmunk Barracuda my older kids learned on was super accurate, in spite of a trigger that weighed more than the gun.

Boolit Master
    Is that a NAA Mini in 22lr??? That thing is neat. I carry a standard Mini in my pocket when running to the gas station at night or when I'm weed eating at the lake. At the lake it gets fed CCI ShotShells for snake repellant. Do you have pics of your stock and the attachment point?

Browning's sa-22 .. you bet !!!

Banned
    The AR-7 is probably the easiest "off the shelf" solution but I've never been terribly impressed with the accuracy I've seen from those rifles.

A take down version of the 10-22 might be better but it would almost certainly be heavier; probably too heavy for the OP's criteria.

A Browning SA-22 would be awesome ! And might be lighter than the 10-22 (not sure)

A skilled person could likely make a folding stock version of an old bolt action rifle. An old Remington 500 series .22 would be an excellent platform if you could find one cheap. (I still run across Remington 22's at gun shows and pawn shops that are priced right) Cut the barrel down just over the legal length & re-crown it. Create some type of folding stock or detachable butt stock section and you would have something packable and light.
    Just off the top of my head, I can envision cutting the stock off just to the rear of the grip section and installing a long through bolt in the butt section to re-attach it. A folding plate on the end of the through bolt could act as a wing-nut so that no tools would be needed to tighten the bolt. Or, maybe just a fixed threaded stud on the detachable butt section and a corresponding fixed nut on the rifle side?

There are a lot of possibilities. I think it would be a cool project.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-05-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Master

A friend just traded or a take down 22 short only old style Browning simi auto take down, although Im not sure I would want to subject it to a back pack. Just forget the deer rifle and hunt squirrels a lot easier to get out of the woods
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12