RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: super blackhawh bisley hunter custom sights

super blackhawh bisley hunter custom sights

I am looking for a front or maybe a set (F&R sights) for my new bisley hunter 44mag 7 1/2" barrel, either the shallow v rear with a bead up front, like they use on safari rifles, I have thought about putting a shotgun bead on top of the stock front sight, so I have something smaller and more precise to line up on the target, the thick front sight just isn't very accurate for me, I think that if I did that, or could find a sight similar to that in design it would help me to focus on the front sight and target better, and let my eyes naturally line up the rear sight. I have already tried bowens, brownells has a set of those glow sights, but im not sure if that would help much, it is still a blocky sight. thanks a lot, hope someone can help!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    You may find differently, but the shallow V and bead aren't all that precise, nearly impossible to hold windage repeatedly. I spent the money on a set for a Freedom Arms. You will notice pretty much all of the target pistols you see have square notch style sights.

Boolit Master

something like this ? https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...36676900480.do i like the hamilton bowen sights myself
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

super blackhawh bisley hunter custom sights

I am looking for a front or maybe a set (F&R sights) for my new bisley hunter 44mag 7 1/2" barrel, either the shallow v rear with a bead up front, like they use on safari rifles, I have thought about putting a shotgun bead on top of the stock front sight, so I have something smaller and more precise to line up on the target, the thick front sight just isn't very accurate for me, I think that if I did that, or could find a sight similar to that in design it would help me to focus on the front sight and target better, and let my eyes naturally line up the rear sight. I have already tried bowens, brownells has a set of those glow sights, but im not sure if that would help much, it is still a blocky sight. thanks a lot, hope someone can help!-Travis

yeah!!! it is out of stock right now, so they don't show a price, do you know what they are charging? also, it is advertised for the SRH, even though it does look like my sight setup, are you sure that it will fit the SBH well? thanks for sharing that with me, I think it is just what I need!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    yeah!!! it is out of stock right now, so they don't show a price, do you know what they are charging? also, it is advertised for the SRH, even though it does look like my sight setup, are you sure that it will fit the SBH well? thanks for sharing that with me, I think it is just what I need!!!
    no i do not no if it will fit i just remember seeing it i did shoot with a guy who had a set up just like it but i do think that he got them
    from Bowen or Gary Reeder http://www.reedercustomguns.com/information/sight.htm

I have Bowen rough country sight on some of my .44 magnums. J currently have a spare sight. I have put in on the Bisley hunter a couple of time. It really didn't add anything to the gun for me. The other .44's were helped a lot but not the hunter model. Also I really don't like colored sights but I have left the red insert front sight on the hunter because it is easier to see in dim light and I have the points on the red insert where it fits into the blade memorized as points to hold up for longer range shooting.

OR, I have really enjoyed your progress on this revolver and your enthusiasm reminds me of myself in my in my early casting days. Please accept this advice in the spirit it is intended; that of being helpful based on experience. Shoot your gun. Shoot it a lot. Shoot until you are starting to get recoil sensitive and then put the gun away. If that is 20 clean sight pictures before you get tired then stop at 20. 20 perfect practice shots is better that 200 shots where you shoot after the recoil fatigue has become a factor. Dry fire a LOT. I put a target spot on my living room wall and dry fire at it during commercials. Perfect sight alignment, trigger press and follow through.

Finally don't over accessorize the gun. There is nothing wrong with making a gun yours with a few touches but many new shooters confuse adding things to a gun with trigger time and acquired skill. Once you have enough trigger time with your gun with a load it likes THEN think about what touches or features you want to add to it. Pay your dues with load development and time with the gun then think about stuff you want on it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I like a gold bead or fiber optic front with a peep rear, but have a time getting a consistent sight picture and grouping with the V rear.

thanks thumbcocker, I will take that to heart.

Banned

I think bowen makes what you want in his express sight. Me I cant stand them but his target rear and post front are the hands down best set of sights you can put on a sixgun.

Here is a thought. It’s what I had considered doing before getting a scope. What about a gold bead or fiber optic front sight. Whatever stands out best. And then a Warren “one hole” rear sight.

I use the large hole version for my 4 5/8” 45colt BH. I like it, and it works well even with the stock blade front sight. I wondered what the smaller hole version might be like with a smaller and more pronounced front sight.

The one thing it does well is help you focus on the front sight rather than the rear. I was going to go with the fiber optic myself.

Boolit Master
    Thimbcocker is right.
    I dont know how good you are with a handgun Oklahoma, but, before you get into changing sights, etc., etc., and more etc i would recommend getting at least decent before you start this. That way you will be avle to take advantage of the "help" if in fact these changes do help.
    The first thing many wants to do is start changing this and changing that. I would say we all went through it.
    Get up off the bench and learn to shoot at least decent off hand. Remember it isnt what you can do on your best day or what you do on your worst day that defines you. It is what you can do on the average that does define you. Anyone can shoot a wallet group or a trash can group but that really means very little.
    Elmer Keith used the stock sights on his M29 carry gun. Can we do better?

my problem is, when target shooting, I tend to put way too much thought into making sure that the front sight is centered in the rear sight, which make thwe shakes worse, and also, it is kinda hard to know exactly where to put the front sight in relation to the bullseye, as in, should the top of the sight post be lined up in the middle of the bullseye, or set the bullseye on top of the post, like a popsicle, I have heard both. I do think putting a small bead on the top of the post will give me an exact spot to put my focus on the front sight and target, and let the rear line up instinctively. then I could put that bead dead center of the bullseye and shoot without over-thinking things, which, as you guys have probably figured out by now, is a big problem of mine! I don't want you to think that I am ignoring you, but in MY circumstance, I think I do need a little bit of help to focus on the right things while practicing as much as I can, just like you said thumbcocker... but I will stay away from doing anything else until I practice my but (and hands) off! thanks again for the kind wisdom from all of you!

Boolit Master
    Are you shooting from a rest or offhand?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a revolver with with a red fiber optic front sight and a rear shallow vee "express" sight. The vee blade is plain black. The front round fiber optic sight is OK but with that shallow vee....precise shooting is nearly impossible.
    I started shooting handguns about 50 years ago , competing in NRA Bullseye matches every week. I can shoot ...even won a few trophies .
    Something about the shallow vee that lacks an imprecise sight picture. The vee with a white line may help...but with my v sight just hitting a soda can at 15 feet was a major accomplishment. I don't care for these at all.
    I do my best accuracy work with a flat topped ramp front sight and a square notch rear, that is wide enough to allow 1/16 " of daylight on both sides of the front.

I gave that shallow vee many a work out...it's just not a precision sight.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have been shooting off- hand so far, but tomorrow I am going to sit down at the bench with the target at 25 yards to start, really try to zero it in, so I can be sure that it is me, and not the gun, when I have problems shooting off hand, then when I have problems, I can adjust my grip, and my off-hand placement, stance, and whatnot to become the best that I can be. seems reasonable to to use the bench first to rule out any gun/load problems with accuracy.

thumbcocker, should I limit myself to 25 yards for a while till I get that down, then go to 50? ( that's as long as my range goes) or practice both daily?

Boolit Master
    ", it is kinda hard to know exactly where to put the front sight in relation to the bullseye, as in, should the top of the sight post be lined up in the middle of the bullseye, or set the bullseye on top of the post, like a popsicle".
    How are you holding still enough to line up on the center of the bull or the bottom of the bull if you are shooting offhand?
    All you can do is hold within your movement area. So you are not holding on any spot but you are holding in the area of the spot.

Boolit Master

What i did when i was sighting in my RSBH was to take a sheet of rapping paper white side out and put the smallest Dot on it that
    you can aim at at the distance your shoot at ( aim small miss small ) or even some clay pigeons just to make it fun and yes start
    at 25 yards and work your way out

Shooting from the bench is good I think in order to prove the load/gun sights. That’s what I’ve been doing as of late. I have just been resting the barrel/frame junction while supporting my forearms with something soft. I’ve heard you don’t want the butt or trigger guard touching anything so it will recoil naturally.

Word to the wise, cover whatever bags you rest the gun on with something you don’t mind getting ruined. The gasses that blow out the cylinder gap are brutal. It blew some pretty good holes in an old towel I was using, even smoldering it some. I plan on getting some soft leather to use for future range sessions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast