Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: super blackhawh bisley hunter custom sights

Boolit Master
    The trouble with the bench is it is too easy to become attached to it. Oh, i am testing to get my very best load. Oh, i need to tweak this and that until all one wants to do is test and tweak when most couldnt tell the diffrence between a lod that is a 1.5 incher at 25 or a 2 incher shooting offhand. Then we see the better results in shooting from the bench and one couldnt be pried up off it with with a ten foot rail and concrete block.
    Find a decent load, get up and start shooting on your legs and with only your arms and hands.

not me, I hate shooting off of the bench, after a minute it starts to hurt my back, I am glad you mentioned that it is normal to not be able to hold dead on, but more like stay in the closest area you can to the bullseye. I have essential tremors, so I cannot hold it dead on, but the extra weight of the gun does help dampen them out some. so like I said, I am definetly only going to use the bench to zero my revolver in, which, I think you would agree, is important. after all how do I know my sights are set as best as can be, when the barrel is floating around the bullseye. atleast if I get it zeroed on the bench, when standing, I will know when and how much I am improving, or not improving. I also must say, that when hunting, wether rifle or pistol, when a deer or hog presents a shot, the gun comes up and I shoot, and I don't even remember using the sights, so my main problem is to be able to get that way when target shooting. do you think maybe a time limit per shot would help or hurt, since I tend to spend too much time trying to get the sights " just so"??
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Here is what has worked for me. free advice worth every penny it costs you. I sight all my revolvers in to where whatever the front sight covers gets a hole in it. The front sight is what matters not the target. I shoot from a Weaver stance. I shoot standing in practice out to 50 yards. Beyond that I shoot sitting backrested. In a hunting situation I "cheat" all I can. I will rest my wrists on my tree stand rail or my left shoulder against the tree or any field rest that is available. Whatever helps steady the front sight on the place the boolit is going to hit.

By practicing unsupported when I have support it is almost like cheating and if I have to take an unsupported shot (usually sitting in my tree stand) I am ready. Front sight covers where the hole is going to be. The sitting backrested shot is killer in the field. I have two white oak trees on the farm that I have sat with my back against on the ground and killed a pile of deer over the years.

When shooting on the range I shoot at paper plates with a red spot in the center. Sights are aligned, focus is on the front sight. front sight covers the bull, squeeze and bang. Others do things differently but this works for me.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    When sighting off the bench one must remember that there can be quite a bit of difference from offhand sighting and bench sighting. It all depends on how you hold on the bench. Some can sight either way and can be close with the other.
    Are you one of them? If not I would learn to group offhand and then sight in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I think bowen makes what you want in his express sight. Me I cant stand them but his target rear and post front are the hands down best set of sights you can put on a sixgun.
    I agree Lloyd. I peed away the money for a set of express sights on a F/A. They are fun to look at, but that's about it. Target guns have notch sights for a reason.
    A fool and his money as the old saying goes, I knew better, but did it anyways.

well, theres only one way I know of to find out, I already know when I do my part, and don't pull the shot, I am pretty close.. so I can compare that to what I see off the bench, and then figure out how to best fine tune it, I mainly need to check the elevation, because its pretty close horizontally, unless I pull to the left, but a few times I was hitting the ground in front of the target, and how am I supposed to know if I am pulling low then, or aiming high, the other times. I just cast a BUNCH of boolits, so tomorrow I will load them up and probably do a lot of shooting Wednesday, I will let you guys know how I do, and will most likely be able to tell you more about what I learn about the way I am shooting. thanks for all the advice, and I promise that the majority of my shooting will be off-hand, as it would when hunting. wish me luck!!-Travis

Boolit Buddy
    Some years back Ruger offered a bead front and V rear as accessory options for the Redhawk. I think they would fit the Bisley hunter, but it does not look like a current option from Ruger.

Boolit Master
    "but a few times I was hitting the ground in front of the target, and how am I supposed to know if I am pulling low then, or aiming high, the other times.

How high was the target from the ground and how far away was the target.
    How big was the bullseye?

bullseye was about 6 in off the ground, the target about 20 yards, and I think a 2 inch bullseye. like I said it happened a few times, not all or most of the time though, I know that right handers pull left, can you also pull down? if so is there a technique to reduce that tendancy?? unfortunately no practice today, we had a wicked cold front come in, it dropped 30 some degrees from 6am to 10 am! rain is freezing on the trees, call me a pansy all you want, im not going out there!~

Boolit Master
    Loosen up. Dont hold too tight. Align the sights as well as you can. You know within yourself whether you are holding normally for you. When you are looking at the front sight and they are aligned ease on back on the trigger. Fighting the shakes will only make them worse. That is true for all of us. You are in a different situation with essential tremors. You are going to have to figure what works for you. We caint. I shake more now that i am older. But, you can make the shakes worse by trying to fight them. Jerking ,the trigger because of what archers call target panic for sure isnt going to make them better.
    Experient on what works for you is what you need to do.
    All of us on here, unless we are in your shoes, cannot do that for you.
    Good luck in finding YOUR way on this. If i could help i would. But still, you cant ignore the basic fundamentals regardless of your situation.

Pulling low is usually a sign of anticipating the recoil. Handshake firm grip unlock the elbows and ride along with the gun.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I know that right handers pull left, can you also pull down
    Low and left for righties means you are either jerking the trigger or squeezing the whole hand with the trigger finger or both. Firm grip and isolate the trigger finger, press slowly as you hover the sights on target. Slow and steady.

I think that it is not jerking, but holding too tight that could be the problem, not so much fear of recoil, ( I have a short barrel single shot 12 ga w/ pistol grip that I fire one handed, so definetly don't mind the recoil,lol) but I think it is, again, just plain trying too hard, I will work on that, I think it will become more and more natural as I practice more and more. thanks for all of you guys' help, I will keep you informed, I haven't lost heart, or gotten frustrated, so that's on my side!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	214767

that's an awesome chart, I am shooting leaning forward a bit with my head kinda low, that's how you see those 3 gun competitors shoot, but I guess this isn't three gun! one question, what does too little trigger finger mean, oh and I know what follow through on a bow is, but what does that mean pertaining to pistols? ( I guess I am showing my true "green" colors here)!! thanks!

Boolit Master
    I see someone who is over thinking this.
    1. Stand in a comfortable position. This is easier to replicate each time.
    2. Hold the fun in a way that is comfortable and not tight enough to cause the shakes. I know nothing about essential tremors bu t causing even more movement by what you are doing isnt smart.
    3. Once you settle into your nomal movement area start on back with the trigger. Holding too long is detrimental to steady holding. But dont get aggressive on the trigger. A smooth operation of the trigger can be developed.
    4. Try to keep the gun on target after the shot. Follow through. You wont be able to because of the recoil but it is a mental follow through.

The most important things in handgun shooting are

1. Trigger control
    2. Sight alignment
    3. Holding as steady as you can.
    4. Accepting your movement area.
    5. DO NOT FLINCH

Dry firing is a great way to practice follow through. Keep sights on target after the shot. Develop a method to build your stance and grip with each dry fire shot. After you get muscle memory you wont have to be as plodding but start with foot placement then grip then sights then trigger squeeze and follow through. Don't shoot when you are tired or get shaky. A few perfect shots or dry fires at a time. Rest as needed.

thanks guys! one question- I have heard repeated dry firing is bad for the firing pin, my gun came with a yellow soft plastic cylinder cover, and it can be dry fired with that in, you can even see a little dent where the firing pin hit. do you think using that plastic as a " pad" for the firing pin would be a better than not? I would think it would dampen some of the shock to the firing pin. thanks again, I am starting to get to where I am not over-thinking as much when I practice dry firing, tomorrow I will be able to see how much I have improved, since it has been freezing rain here for the last 2-3 days, I haven't been shooting outside, but I have been dry fire practicing, by the way, I did make a small bead on top of my front sight, and it immediately got me to focusing more on the front sight and target, and letting the rear sight come up into alignment naturally, which, at least with dry firing, has helped so much, because it is more natural, I can get on target and shoot faster, whereas before, I was taking too much time on the sights, which lets the shakes build up. with all you guys' help, I will be hog hunting accurate in no time! ( not gonna rush into it though). thanks! PS neat chart sr8twall!

Doesn't hurt rugers to dry fire the snot out of them. IME it smooth's up the action. Keep everything lubed and you will be fine. Think of pushing that front sight through the bull as you dry fire.

ok, that makes sense, is that part of what you meant as "follow through"? alos, kind of a side note: the lee powder though expander expands the cases, but then sizes them down too much when you pull the case back out, I put the hollow expander in the "universal expander" with the small cone behind it, just to it would lock in withought sliding back and forth, it works great! it sizes the cases about .001 under boolit size, .431, and doesn't over- flare it, it is just enough to set the boolit on top and load without shaving. then I always crimp seperatly with the lee collet type crimper. just thought I would share that, as it saved me from having to buy an m-die, and in my opinion it works just as good or better!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12