Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationPBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Was thinking about the star's air feed...have a question

Boolit Buddy

Was thinking about the star's air feed...have a question

I'm looking seriously at getting a star sizer. I know that it has an air feed you can attach to 60 psi air compressor so you don't have to mess with the crank to pressurize the lube.

I don't really have a spot I near my bench that I can run an air compressor. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to run a star with a small air tank, similar to the ones used in paintball. I could keep the air compressor in my shed and charge a few tanks outside then use them as needed. Anyone ever try this?

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the portable air tanks you see at Harbor Freight will work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Yes, that would work, even you can run your Star with one of those air tanks that are sold in Harbor freight as you are only adding pressure to the air cylinder. A single charge should last for a long time.
    I built a homemade piston with 2 o-rings that go inside the reservoir and I run mine with just an air tank or the compressor depending on what I'm doing.

You're not using air, per se. All you're doing with the air pressure is maintaining a constant pressure on the lube reservoir.

I run all my Star machines without air, since I don't mind cranking the screw down every 15 or 20 bullets, depending on what I'm lubing. If the bullet has a large lube groove, you might have to crank the screw about every 10 bullets, but even that I don't find to be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I hooked up a small12 volt tire inflating air compressor to mine. I like them as they go way over 60 lbs, some bullets work better nearer to 100 lbs. Smaller and quieter than a full size compressor.

Boolit Bub
    North Idaho, Where The Deep Forest Meets The Blue Lakes
    Air tank works very well, with one caution, mine used to hold air for years, now loses a bit every day, even with a shutoff knob, but if you have a compressor to fill it with, no worries even if it does not hold air well,
    Calling a criminal invader an "illegal immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Bub
    North Idaho, Where The Deep Forest Meets The Blue Lakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I hooked up a small12 volt tire inflating air compressor to mine. I like them as they go way over 60 lbs, some bullets work better nearer to 100 lbs. Smaller and quieter than a full size compressor.
    Yours is better than mine, I have an "Air Hawk", louder than the hubs of hell and pretty slow filling, altho' mine may be sub-standard, I don't know how they are supposed to perform,
    Calling a criminal invader an "illegal immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Bub
    I run my compressor right up the 70psi mark(make my own lube and during winter time,lube gets real hard up here)and then shut it up.Even if I size/lube for 2 hours,the compressor doesn't start up again.I can actually turn it off,size/lube more than 1 hour,stop and unplug the outfit,change sizing die,replug the outfit without needing to restart the compressor.The operation doesn't use up any more air than what you loose by unplugging/replugging it.
    Like AC in a car,once you've tasted it,you can't do without!