RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Which rifle

Boolit Mold

Which rifle

Going to trade for a rifle but which one should I get? H&R 308 or Mossberg ATR 30-06. I have the Lyman 311410 mold and the Lee 309-170 and 312-185 molds. Will be used for hunting hogs and deer. Which rifle would you choose?

Banned

The mossberg

Boolit Master

The .30-06 is never a mistake. While NOE has the Ranch Dog 180 grainer that's specifically designed for the .308 Win, and I can attest that it's a good shooter in that round, there exist a very large number of mold designs out there that were obviously cooked up with an '06's neck in mind. You've got magazine length working in your favor, and given the generally slower speeds of cast, the ability to compensate by throwing extra weight makes the '06 the clear favorite for boolits.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Townsend Whelen said the 30-06 is never the wrong answer. It also has a longer neck which helps with the use of cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    30/06 mossberg

Moderator Emeritus

If the H&R is the bolt action Ultra Rifle made in the 60's and 70's pick it up. I see no difference in shooting deer or hogs with 308 or 30-06. If it is a Handy rifle leave it there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are asking which cartridge, then I say 30-06. But if you are asking which rifle, those H&R Ultra were pretty nice, though the slender barrels tended to heat fast if you shot them repeatedly and quickly.
    I had a 300 ultra in 6 mm Remington, that I sent down the river due to the difficulty in getting brass and ammo back in the late 70's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    The deal fell thru. But I found two more both in 308. One is a Mossberg 4x4 with muzzle break. I don’t know anything about muzzelbreaks and cast bullets. The other is a like new Remington 770 it comes with a cheap factory scope.

Boolit Master
    My wife has an ATR in 243 and loves it with CB's. In her hands it is scary accurate. I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308 with the muzzle brake which is screwed on. I took it off and put on the thread protector to reduce the noise level a bit. The Patrol model 308 shoots very well with cast including a subsonic 200 gr plain base. The Patrol seems to like heavier CB's 180 gr and up.

Vendor Sponsor

Between the 2 you should be happy with the mossberg . personally I would not want the 770
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    The muzzle break on a short .308 isn't going to do your ears any favors. Have you considered a ruger american they are in the same price range. The 770's are ok but most of the time the action screws are loose and need to be really tightened down to get them to shoot. As for the caliber Whelen said it best you can't go wrong with an 06.

Personally I avoid muzzle brakes, as they only break my eardrums. If I wanted to put the brakes on without breaking the bank, I'd just get a good recoil pad.

Boolit Mold
    I’ve never cared for muzzle brakes myself but the 4x4 comes with one from Mossberg. I’m not buying I’m trading for a new hog and deer rifle. These are the two I have to choose from. I don’t know much about either but I’ve heard the 770 was junk. That being said I’m kind of Leary of shooting a 309 to 311 sized bullet out of a rifle with a 308 bore and muzzle brake. Then I guess I could take it off and put a thread protected or flash hider on in its place.

Boolit Master
    The 770 is no 700 but it will get the job done. Shooting a slightly larger bullet won't hurt anything when shooting cast bullets you want to be a minimum of a thousandth of an inch over bore diameter. Example .308 bore you want a .309 to .311 so it fills out the bore and won't cause leading. I agree about removing the break your ears will thank you.

One more for the Mossy over the HR. I had a friend buy a new break open in 22-250 and it did break open when shot. It went back to HR and they said there isn't anything wrong with. We took it back to the range, it open when fired everytime. He sold it and never looked back!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

The main problem with the 770 is cosmetic. They are ugly. I had a 710; I've sighted in a few 770's for friends. Good accuracy, no malfunctions. And people love to hate them whether they have any experience with them or not. I've heard nothing bad about the Mossbergs.

I bought the Mossberg 4X4 in 25-06 when Bud's had them on close-out special, only $250 and other than the plastic magazine it's a pretty good rifle. I think their well worth the price asked. Gp

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your help. I made the deal today. I went with the Mossberg 4x4 but it turned out to be a 30-06.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sfbandit View Post
    Thanks for your help. I made the deal today. I went with the Mossberg 4x4 but it turned out to be a 30-06.
    Nothing at all wrong with a 30-06, it will do anything you need .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Now to work up loads for the lee 309-170-f mold and the lee 312-185-1r molds and see which one she likes