MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Powder Measure Baffles..??

Banned

Powder Measure Baffles..??

Do powder measure baffles really do anything practical?

Boolit Master

They certainly seem to when using 'pistol' powders in my progressive presses. Baffles help keep the weight of the powder in the reservoir from compressing the powder into the cavity of the charge bar. Without a baffle, both my Dillon measures will throw heavier from a full reservoir than from one half-full. Installing a baffle and keeping the powder level in the reservoir above half-full yield much more consistent charges, 'specially with flake powders like Unique.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

They must, notice Dillon comes with a built in baffle. I'm installing them in my Lyman 55's.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Do powder measure baffles really do anything practical?
    YES The purpose is to try to have a uniform pressure going into the measuring cavity, otherwise if you had a full hopper in would measure one weight of powder and when the powder was low in hopper it would give a lighter weight of powder which is the same as changing the load. The more uniform the pressure the more uniform the load.

Boolit Grand Master

Baffles accomplish a couple things, First they maintain a constant level of powder on the measure drum regardless of amount in the hopper. Second they maintain a consistant flow into the chamber. Third with stick powders and some flake powders they act as a "straightener" alighning grains in a closer stack or pattern. Several styles of baffles are available or can be made the simple is a oval that sits in the hopper at an angle with a opening on the lower end. I have used 2 of these 180* this works well with stick powders. the more common is the vee style with a hole or groove on each side. A handy material to use to make a baffle is old pop bottles. cut the center out and straighten then cut the shape and holes bend and fit.

Banned
    Ok cool. I have 5, Lyman 55 powder measures, all have baffles but I'd wondered if they really did anything. They are about 4" up from the bottom.

Boolit Master
    Another easy way to make a baffle is to cut the top off a funnel so that it just fits in the hopper and shorten the spout to about an inch. Push it about halfway down the hopper and always keep enough powder in the hopper to at least half fill the funnel. If you need to remove the baffle just use a piece of wire with a small hook on the end.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master

A simple way to make a baffle from old plastic pop bottles. Cut out the center section and split so it can be laid down flat. This gives a piece around 3" X 4" depending on bottle. wash this piece down and dry well. while under hot water start straightening it and removing the set in it. It easier to tape it down to a flat surface. Alighn one edge with edge of flat surface and warm with blow drier to help get it to lay as flat as possible. cover with masking tape. Square one edge to side. measure inside of hopper dia as close as possible and divide by 2. This is the radoius of the hopper. with dividers set them to radious and lay out one circle and a center line. from edge of first circle mark a new center point on the centerline and layout second circle. with a straight edge connect each outside circle line between the 2 circles. Lay out a shallow vee on center line and edge of circles cut out carefully with siccors or snipps. Fold in half and cut vees a hole punc makes a nice transition from one leg to the next. This should fit somewhat snugly in the hopper.

For the angled version lay out and extend from edge of circle lay out a flat taking 3/16"-1/4" of the radious ( you can always take more if needed) cut out and set in hopper at the angle and location

A link on how to make your own powder baffles with several different templates for different sized powder tubes.

https://www.shootersforum.com/attach..._templates.pdf

Moderator Emeritus

I have used a couple of different measures, Lee and RCBS for the last 20 years. It has been my habit to weigh every 10th charge and I have not seen this in my loads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze