Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help scoping a savage 23d 22 Hornet

Boolit Mold

Help scoping a savage 23d 22 Hornet

I have a savage 23d that belonged to my father, he got it in a trade. I used to shoot it back 35 years ago. It is not a collector, barrel had been cut off, two of the holes for the side mount scope base has been filled. It has an old savage 4x japan made scope on it model 0415 4x15. I want to upgrade the scope and try and work up a load for it. Never could get it to shoot back then. My problem is the top two scope mounts are to far apart to mount a modern scope. Does anyone know of a base I could get that might work with the existing top mount holes? I found an old post where someone used a scope base blank from Browells. They sell two that are curved on the bottom but don't know which one will work. I would have to get someone to drill the holes if I went that route. Thank's for any help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_122450.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	214484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_122456.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	214485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180218_122505.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	214486

Banned
    You have lots of options. The easiest is two Weaver scope bases on top #15 rear, #16 front. Then you can mount any Weaver rings on top. The existing holes on the side may fit a Weaver side mount base #2 part 48402.

23s are fun. Load your D about 5% under published loads and it will reward you.

You can move the rear base to the tapped hole near the bolt handle. One screw will hold it fine on a .22Hornet. Extension rings are available as well for today's short tube scopes. An old steel fixed power Weaver would be correct for that rifle in length and style.

In Remembrance
    Check your bore diameter. The one I have has a .223 bore. It would be best to use .223 jacketed bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You can move the rear base to the tapped hole near the bolt handle. One screw will hold it fine on a .22Hornet. Extension rings are available as well for today's short tube scopes. An old steel fixed power Weaver would be correct for that rifle in length and style.
    +1^^^^^

While my 23 is a 25-20 I have had/shot several M23s in 22 Hornet over the years. Try neck sizing the hornet cases just to the depth of the seated bullet. I use and "M die" even with jacketed bullets to avoid scrunching the case mouths. I use a CCI SP primer and 11.5 gr H4227 with the Sierra 40 gr Hornet bullet. Never found any difference between the .223 and .224 sizes. That load has always shot 1 to 1.5 moa in the23s if they were in decent shape. For cast bullets Lyman's 225438 always proved the best in 23s given their 16" twists. I've several loads from 22LR to 22 Magnum velocities if you're interested?

My 23 I 25-20 appears to have top hole same as yours. The rear Weaver base is held with just 1 screw.

Attachment 214528
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The current Weaver side mount base #2 (part 48402), referenced above, should fit the 4 plugged holes in the LH side of your M-23's receiver.

Once it's installed, the current Weaver Side Mount rings/bracket (below) will allow you to fit a modern scope.

The resulting package will look something similar to this:

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    223 vs 224 won't matter if the rifle has been shot at all.

The savage 19 & 23 I have played with don't care and shoot 40gr vmax really well.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned

The side mounts work well. The Hornet is fun. Two grains of Bullseye and a 45 grain plain based bullet is squirrel head accurate at realistic ranges and they kill better than .22 LR hollow points even with body shots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squirrel 11FEB18.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	214538

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    You have lots of options. The easiest is two Weaver scope bases on top #15 rear, #16 front. Then you can mount any Weaver rings on top. The existing holes on the side may fit a Weaver side mount base #2 part 48402.

23s are fun. Load your D about 5% under published loads and it will reward you.
    Two of the holes on the side are permanently plugged. Don't know what the deal is on them but I figured the threads were messed up.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Good idea. I will look into some rings.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    +1^^^^^

While my 23 is a 25-20 I have had/shot several M23s in 22 Hornet over the years. Try neck sizing the hornet cases just to the depth of the seated bullet. I use and "M die" even with jacketed bullets to avoid scrunching the case mouths. I use a CCI SP primer and 11.5 gr H4227 with the Sierra 40 gr Hornet bullet. Never found any difference between the .223 and .224 sizes. That load has always shot 1 to 1.5 moa in the23s if they were in decent shape. For cast bullets Lyman's 225438 always proved the best in 23s given their 16" twists. I've several loads from 22LR to 22 Magnum velocities if you're interested?

My 23 I 25-20 appears to have top hole same as yours. The rear Weaver base is held with just 1 screw.

Attachment 214528
    I am interested in the load data, thank you.

Boolit Mold
    Back when I first started shooting this rifle, I used both .223 and .224 bullets. Never got to bench rest it unless u count truck window. I have a bench to shoot off of now and am hoping a better scope will get good results.

Sent an email to midway to see if the weaver #16 will fit my front two mounting holes. Will do like suggested and use the front hole with one screw. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete View Post
    Two of the holes on the side are permanently plugged. Don't know what the deal is on them but I figured the threads were messed up.
    If two of the good holes are at opposite ends of the 4-screw pattern, those two screws will be enough to hold the scope solidly.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    If two of the good holes are at opposite ends of the 4-screw pattern, those two screws will be enough to hold the scope solidly.

Thanks, that might be what I have to do.

Boolit Grand Master

My 23d was set up with appeture sights. globe fromt and target rear. rear receiver ring had 2 8-48 holes and one 10-48 hole I used a piece of brownels blank weaver rail drilled and counter sunk the 3 holes in it and bedded it t the action. This has worked to mount the redfield 2-7 scope it wears. My rifle has no holes in the front ring. but the 3 holes do fine. Bedding the base to the action also helped take some strain off of the screws.

Boolit Grand Master

All loads are with the 225438 cast of COWW with 2% tin added. The bullets are visually sorted with any visual defect cause for rejection. GCs are Lyman old slip ons and/or Hornady crimp ons. Bullets are sized in a .225 H&I die in a Lyman 450 with a NRA 50/50 lube used. Cases are W-W or R-P. Cases are fire formed which are neck sized in a Redding Bushing die. I tried backing out the FL die to just NS but it resulted in crooked necks. I use a short Lyman 22 M die to bell the case mouths. Since using the M die with both jacketed and cast bullets I have not scrunched a case seating the bullet. CCI SP primers are used. I seat the bullet so the case just covers the front lube groove.

22 WRM equivalent load;
    4,5 gr Unique; 1970 fps

HV 22 LR equivalent load;
    2.5 gr Bullseye; 1415 fps

22LR standard velocity equivalent load;
    1.5 gr Bullseye; 1065 fps

Jacketed bullet load;
    Sierra 40 gr Hornet bullet
    11.5 gr H4227
    2650 fps
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Larry Gibson.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My 23d was set up with appeture sights. globe fromt and target rear. rear receiver ring had 2 8-48 holes and one 10-48 hole I used a piece of brownels blank weaver rail drilled and counter sunk the 3 holes in it and bedded it t the action. This has worked to mount the redfield 2-7 scope it wears. My rifle has no holes in the front ring. but the 3 holes do fine. Bedding the base to the action also helped take some strain off of the screws.
    Thank you.

I saw one at a gun show in 25-20 that had a neat peep sight and a front globe with the post fixed from the top- to see the target you're holding over to hit. Very cool and shouldacoudawouda got it!

Boolit Grand Master

I think the 23ds are one rifle that just need a unertal JR in 8-10 power. The rifles classic simple lines and the full length scope with external adjustments just seem to go together in my eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast