MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: How to Break in Accurate Aluminum Mold

Boolit Master

How to Break in Accurate Aluminum Mold

I received my first Accurate mold. Nice looking! I searched tha FAQs on Tom's site and searched here. Turned up nothing. Does anyone know Accurate's recommendation for breaking in a new aluminum mold? If I didn't turn up anything, I was going to follow the heat cycle procedure like NOE recommends.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Heat to 400 degrees - hold for 5 minutes - cool to room temperature - repeat 2 -3 times
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator

Same procedure as Noe molds for any aluminum mold. I use a hot plate.

Boolit Master

Perfect. Thanks guys.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What I do is to take the new blocks out of the box and brush the cavities and entire surface of the blocks with Palmolive dishwashing detergent, then put in a coffee can, enough tap water to cover, then boil for 20 minutes. With whatever is in our municipal water the combination colors the blocks a nice uniform gray color all over, and upon pre-heating the mold on a Proctor Silex electric hotplate, at medium calibrated with 350 degree Tempilstik crayon mark on the blocks, no smoking necessary and I get good castings from nearly the first pour, no further break-in needed. YMMV.
    Attachment 214501Attachment 214503
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The most I do is scrub with dishwashing detergent and a tooth brush. After preheating on a hotplate, Tom's molds make perfect boolits right from the start.

In Remembrance

Scrub new mold in Dawn dish soap then rinse in hot water. Assemble and pre heat on hot plate and cool, do this twice then start casting.Robert

Tom said he cleans his molds in an ultra sonic cleaner IIRC. He said just open the package and start casting.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I clean mine with brake cleaner, air dry them, heat them up and start pouring. As soon as the mold hits the right temp, the boolits drop perfectly.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Tom said he cleans his molds in an ultra sonic cleaner IIRC. He said just open the package and start casting.
    Thats all i did I had no issues
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

What boster and waco said! And luckydawg!

I don't ever do much of anything except pre-heat the mould then start casting. Never had a problem with iron, aluminum or brass moulds.

My Accurate mould is right up there with Mihec and NOE. Beautiful quality and casts right to spec. No mould prep, no problems. Mind you my Accurate mould is brass but I treat aluminum the same way... wipe of any obvious oil, pre-heat then cast.

YMMV but it works for me.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 02-20-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added luckydawg

Boolit Master

Am I doing something wrong? I just fire up the the pot and start pouring. I let the molten lead burn off any residual oil as it heats up the cavities.. Within just a few minutes I am rolling like normal. Never a problem doing it this way and that's with all molds I buy.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I received my first Accurate mold. Nice looking! I searched tha FAQs on Tom's site and searched here. Turned up nothing. Does anyone know Accurate's recommendation for breaking in a new aluminum mold? If I didn't turn up anything, I was going to follow the heat cycle procedure like NOE recommends.
    When ordering from my website, mold maintenance instructions appear just before you configure and price the mold.
    You would not have seen that, having bought a "lost" mold.

The instructions mention only the occasional drop of lube, especially for the sprue plate.

Baking the mold is never needed, and I don't advise it. Cleaning the mold is virtually never needed.

Just cast with it.

Thanks!

I do what Tom said. Works for me but then I am not into VODOO.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    When ordering from my website, mold maintenance instructions appear just before you configure and price the mold.
    You would not have seen that, having bought a "lost" mold.

The instructions mention only the occasional drop of lube, especially for the sprue plate.

Baking the mold is never needed, and I don't advise it. Cleaning the mold is virtually never needed.

Just cast with it.

Thanks!
    This is great. Well, I'll remember this for next time. I did a couple of heat cycles on this one before I saw this post. Very nice looking mold. Likely won't be my last Accurate mold.

Thanks Tom.

All I have ever done with my NOE molds is just heat them up and start casting, once up to temp the bullets were perfect.

Boolit Master

All I've ever done with my new Accurate Molds is scrub them wish dish soap and a tooth brush and start casting. Now that I know that Tom cleans the moulds with an ultrasonic cleaner I'll eliminate that step.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I have six Accurate molds all I have ever done is just bring up to temp. and start casting they are great molds.

Banned
    The "fine print" on NOE molds wants you to heat cycle the mold, not for castability but to set/seat their alignment pins in the aluminum blocks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I do what Tom said. Works for me but then I am not into VODOO.
    Clean it and cast. Done.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.