MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: 9x23 1911 Conversion

Boolit Buddy

9x23 1911 Conversion

I'm getting ready to add a barrel/caliber to my two 1911 conversion setups. I have 2 45acp 1911s that I can change calibers on by changing the slides.
    One 1911 goes from 45acp to 9mm & 38 Super, the other goes from 45acp to 9mm, 38 Super, and 10mm.
    New 9mm barrels showed up yesterday, so now I can start converting them to 9x23. This should be an interesting conversion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x23BarrelsA!.jpg   9x23BarrelsB1.jpg  

Banned

I'm sure you know you should use a 9mm/38super slide for them right? I've done all these years ago. Also you will have to change your 45acp ejector and the 9mm/38super also have a differenc slide stop. I've also done a 9x23 on Tokarev.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I'm sure you know you should use a 9mm/38super slide for them right? I've done all these years ago. Also you will have to change your 45acp ejector and the 9mm/38super also have a differenc slide stop. I've also done a 9x23 on Tokarev.
    I'm going to start by having just one barrel rechambered, and I think I am going to have the 9x19 that is already fitted to one slide. It will be going on the frame that is set up for the 10mm. The slide has a 40cal/10mm breech face, and a flat bottom firing pin stop. The frame is already set up with the 38 Super ejector, and has a 26# hammer spring.
    Midrange 9x19 loads have a hard time dealing with that set up. So, I think that I will convert the already fitted 9x19 barrel, and save the 3 new 9x19 barrels for some future project. Or, cut them down for use in a Commander.

Boolit Master

And I have made a 9x23 Largo on a CZ-52, so now I have a 7.62x25, 9mm Luger, and 9x23/38 Super
    Sailormilan2, why not shoot the 9x23 in the 38 Super barrel?
    Yes, the 9x23 Winchester is way too powerful for a standard springed 1911

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
    I'm going to start by having just one barrel rechambered, and I think I am going to have the 9x19 that is already fitted to one slide. It will be going on the frame that is set up for the 10mm. The slide has a 40cal/10mm breech face, and a flat bottom firing pin stop. The frame is already set up with the 38 Super ejector, and has a 26# hammer spring.
    Midrange 9x19 loads have a hard time dealing with that set up. So, I think that I will convert the already fitted 9x19 barrel, and save the 3 new 9x19 barrels for some future project. Or, cut them down for use in a Commander.
    Most the 38 Super brass you buy today is the rimless stuff. Starline calls it Comp. I've also bought a lot of once fired 38 Super cases and the mixed brands are Aguila, AA, Sig, Jag, Federal, S&B, and another one that has some A's in the stamp. None of them are rimmed!!! But here's the interesting thing, at least to me, the 10mm cases fits the 38 Super. So using that 10mm breech face isn't far off. The other thing is that the 9's and 38 Super use a small diameter firing pin in the 1911.

I also have a long slide 1911 in 10mm and love it. Have a lone slide stainless barrel and slide from Lone Wolf for my Glock too and love it too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    And I have made a 9x23 Largo on a CZ-52, so now I have a 7.62x25, 9mm Luger, and 9x23/38 Super
    Sailormilan2, why not shoot the 9x23 in the 38 Super barrel?
    Yes, the 9x23 Winchester is way too powerful for a standard springed 1911

Mike
    I don't have any 9x23 cases, but I'm sure you know that both the 9mm Luger and 9x23 have a fatter web area then a Super. the Super actually IS a straight case. When I made the 9x23 barrel for my Tokarev I used the 9x23 reamer and shoot only 38 Supers in it. I'm wondering, and believe you can tell me, does the 9x23 fit the 38 Super chamber okay? Most Super chambers I've seen are FAT!!

Boolit Master

I can shoot 9x23 Win (Loaded down), Starline 38 Super Comp, 38 Super, and 9MM Largo
    all stacked together from one magazine in my CZ-52, no issues
    Mike

p.s. the 38 Super is semi-rimmed and you need to measure to really see the difference
    in case head and rim diameters.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    I can shoot 9x23 Win (Loaded down), Starline 38 Super Comp, 38 Super, and 9MM Largo
    all stacked together from one magazine in my CZ-52, no issues
    Mike

p.s. the 38 Super is semi-rimmed and you need to measure to really see the difference
    in case head and rim diameters.
    As I stated about more and more newer 38 Super cases are rimless like the 9mm's.

Boolit Buddy
    The OP here. I actually tried a 9x23 in a 38 Super chamber and it dropped right in. No problems. There are people who shoot that way. I'm not sure if that is optimal or not.
    The original plan was to fit one 9x23 barrel to each of my conversion set ups. After discussions with someone who does this stuff, I am going to just do one to start with. Well see how it goes. One of the reasons for this change was his comments that for best reliability, the 9x23 should be fitted to a slide with a 9mm/38 Super breech face. Not one with a 40cal/10mm breech face. I'm not sure how true that is, but his is the voice of expirience. Though I have a 9x19 and a 38 Super barrel fitted to that slide and they run with no issues.
    The original plan was to fit a barrel to that slide, since it has a Flat Bottomed Firing Pin Stop to help slow the slide and deal with the higher pressures. The frame it goes on has a 26# Main Spring, to also delay slide movement.
    So, my plans have now changed to doing one barrel in 9x23, and fitting it to the 9mm/38 Super cut slide. Which means I will have to install a FBFPS and a 26# MS. That frame is primarily for a 45 acp, which won't have any trouble working the heavier spring.
    Also, SAAMI specs for the 9x23 have a free bore of .060", and that is what all the reamer makers use. Apparently, when the round was first designed, the idea was to have a free bore of .100-.120", to give more velocity, while cutting down pressures a bit.
    So, I've found someone who has the proper reamer to do this, and they will ream the chamber at a reasonable cost, with a 3 day turn around.
    So, today I will fit the hood to the breech, and get everything ready to mail off tomorrow.

Banned

The OP here. I actually tried a 9x23 in a 38 Super chamber and it dropped right in. No problems. There are people who shoot that way. I'm not sure if that is optimal or not.
    The original plan was to fit one 9x23 barrel to each of my conversion set ups. After discussions with someone who does this stuff, I am going to just do one to start with. Well see how it goes. One of the reasons for this change was his comments that for best reliability, the 9x23 should be fitted to a slide with a 9mm/38 Super breech face. Not one with a 40cal/10mm breech face. I'm not sure how true that is, but his is the voice of expirience. Though I have a 9x19 and a 38 Super barrel fitted to that slide and they run with no issues.
    The original plan was to fit a barrel to that slide, since it has a Flat Bottomed Firing Pin Stop to help slow the slide and deal with the higher pressures. The frame it goes on has a 26# Main Spring, to also delay slide movement.
    So, my plans have now changed to doing one barrel in 9x23, and fitting it to the 9mm/38 Super cut slide. Which means I will have to install a FBFPS and a 26# MS. That frame is primarily for a 45 acp, which won't have any trouble working the heavier spring.
    Also, SAAMI specs for the 9x23 have a free bore of .060", and that is what all the reamer makers use. Apparently, when the round was first designed, the idea was to have a free bore of .100-.120", to give more velocity, while cutting down pressures a bit.
    So, I've found someone who has the proper reamer to do this, and they will ream the chamber at a reasonable cost, with a 3 day turn around.
    So, today I will fit the hood to the breech, and get everything ready to mail off tomorrow.
    Rim diameter on the 9x23 is .394. The rim on a 38 Super with the old style semi-rimmed case is .406. The rim on the 40 S&W is .424. The rim on the 10mm is .425.. The difference between the 10mm and the 9x23 rims is .031 so you divide that by 2 to get the clearance around the rim when it's centered in the breech face and that .0155 which is about 1/64th of an inch which is hardly anything. That's why yours worked. I like things to be correct to their design specifications, but that's hardly any difference at all. There's an argument that all you need to change a 45acp Model 21 Glock to a 10mm is the barrel and magazine. That the 45 extractor will still just catch the 10mm rim. Well I have both and first the 45acp magazine will not hold a 10mm round as they pop out of the lips. The extractor will catch. Remember the barrel always centers the cartridge when it's chambered.

I've done a lot of these too. Want to do something fun and give you a little function headache to a 30 Luger on a fulls size 1911.

One of the easiest swaps is doing a 38-45 on 45acp 1911.

I like the longer throat on the 38 Super because then I can shoot 148 grain full wadcutters and essentially have the 38 Special wadcutter 1911. That's the easiest and less headache way to have a 38 wadcutter 1911.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with you on the subject of the rims. As I said, I have no problems with feeding or accuracy.
    I may just go ahead and fit the barrel to the 10mm slide and see what happens. My feeling is that it will feed just fine.

Banned

I agree with you on the subject of the rims. As I said, I have no problems with feeding or accuracy.
    I may just go ahead and fit the barrel to the 10mm slide and see what happens. My feeling is that it will feed just fine.
    I think it will work just fine too! Just not enough difference.