Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reel shopping; Not an instigator

Just happened to see this thread a few minutes ago, mostly because I need to replace a D-A-M #440n light saltwater reel that I can no longer find parts for. I've looked at the Penn #550, which is ~the same size and easy to get parts for (even though said reel is now made in China). I also looked at a few Daiwas. In fact, the reel repair shop even recommended a Daiwa, but I don't know how available parts are. Otherwise, they are nice reels. Btw, I went to a gun show the other day at the Florida State Fair Grounds in Stuart on Saturday, saw mostly overpriced guns, and NO reloading stuff at all, but picked up a nice Garcia-Mitchell #300 reel (dirty + some boat rash) for $8.00. A bit of lube + new line (#15) courtesy of the Snook Nook here in Jensen Beach, and I've got a serviceable freshwater reel. Btw, I've still got a D-A-M Finessa freshwater reel that I purchased new in 1966, which I'll consider using for saltwater: the only thing I replaced on it was the bail spring, which came with the reel.

P.S. I saw a huge, used Shimano saltwater spinning reel at the reel repair & consignment shop last week. It was a gem, but rather pricey @ $100 (some boat rash).

Boolit Master
    Iirc Quick made the D-A-M reels. I had one I got in 1970 in New York and wore it out. In the late 1980s here in Alabama.
    Today I ended up with a Browning maxxum MXS 4000 and a spool of FireLine. I also found two boxes made by Plano to hold 9mm handloads. Lori said happy birthday a week early....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    I agree that the old mitchel reels will do the job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12