Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel shopping; Not an instigator

Boolit Bub

Reel shopping; Not an instigator

Honestly looking for input, not challenges to my preferences guys. I haven't bought a new reel in thirty years; perfectly happy with my old Mitchells (310 on my one-piece medium rod and 308 on my UL - or maybe I have that backwards). Bought a new travel rod for an inshore salt trip coming up and am hoping for recommendations for a no-frills modern equivalent to my old Mitchell. Nothing exotic, just good balance to the spinning thing, quality bearings, smooth drag, and (here it comes)....not made in China. Rod is a St Croix MH 7-15 lb, 7 1/2 ft. I'll be putting 15 lb braid (diameter of 4 lb mono). Game will be flounder on this trip but the outfit will be for anything between crappie and stripers ;those fish are covered with my UL and surf outfits.
    Thanks guys.

Good luck!

On the lower cost side I've had good luck with the medium quality Shakespeare reels.

My favorites do tend to be Shimano mid sized with rear drag.
    Get a big fish on taking line and you can cause serious damage to fingers with modern braided lines just adjusting the drag. Rear drag puts it at your fingertips, with IMO better control. But they seem to be falling out of favor.

I've also had a few tough as nails Daiwa reels that I have used for years.

Go find a sporting good store that has a good selection of combo's setup. Look at features you do and don't like. See what feels good to you.

And remember, modern spinning reels can handle the new Spectra/kevlar braided lines just fine.
    They tend to be smaller diameter = more capacity on the same real. They have very low stretch and awesome "feel". Just need to make sure you orrient the spool so the line comes off in the same direction it is laid down on the reel.

I use a lead muffin tin ingot to hold my spool label up line coming off the top clockwise, goes through at least one guide, then between 2-3 of my fingers to control tightness, then onto the spool. Done right there is no twist, you can get amazing casts with this stuff. Just finish it with a 10-20 foot length of Flourocarbon or mono to get a little stretch/flex in there.

I'm very fond of my Shimano reels. For the purpose you describe, I think the Calcutta TE 201 would be hard to beat. Gp

Boolit Bub
    Spinning GP; not casting; though that reel looks impressive. Since you recommended Shimano anyway, I'll check out their spin models.

Boolit Master

one more for Shimano reels but be looking to spend over a $100 for a decent reel
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Since, I retired to Arkansas, I do a lot of Striper fishing. I replaced most of my spinning reels with Penn's Battle II. They are not cheap but then you get what you pay for.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-spinning-reels/

Watch Amazon, they have the best prices and I've picked up a few when the have their "Deal of the Day. IIRC, they are American made. I prefer metal frames on reels for serious sized fish, the composites flex. They come in different sizes, depending on line capacity and type of line you want to use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21 pounder 3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	214548

Winelover

Just ordered 2 of these, they have not arrived yet however.

Call this the low end at 17$.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Spinn...eel&th=1&psc=1

This is the higher end. Will hold 140 yards of 8 lb test. More if you went with a good 20 lb braid which has a smaller diameter than mono.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Spire...eel&th=1&psc=1

This would be what I would call middle of the road, not break your wallet, but not dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sienn...eel&th=1&psc=1

And this is the line I use. I buy it by the 1000 yard spool. Cost about what 150 yards of the name brand stuff costs. (spiderwire, etc)
    I have used one 500 yard spool over the past 3 years.
    Nice stuff, I like the color, love the castability, and the durability, and the price.
    Under 20$ for 1000 meters.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Strands-D...72.m2749.l2649

Another fan of Shimano spinning reels, but I don’t like they drop models every few years and you loose support for the old model. It’s frustrating.
    Okuma also makes some vey nice spinning reels, I have a couple that I really like.
    Friends have some Penn’s that are nice.
    If you want 100% not made in China and cost is no option, this is the best of the best, but too rich for my blood!
    https://www.vanstaal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Banned

The China braid is very abrasive. It is nowhere near the quality of the American or European or Japanese made braid. You want a smooth braid. While power pro is a 4 strand it is a very tight weave. Suffix 832, daiwa j8. These are some of the best.

The China braid will break at 1/2 the stated strength. Stay away if you can. I fish about 250 days a year. I have used most all of the braids out there. Manufacturers send stuff to the store I help out with all the time. So I get to test lots of stuff. If you l8ke mono, look into the newer flourocarbon lines. No stretch line. The only time it will stretch is right as it breaks. But you have to be very careful with how you tie your knots. If the line is laying on top of itself it will pop your knot. The line has to lay next to each other not acrossed another loop

Boolit Master

LOL, i have been using the same 10 dollar wal mart reels for 14 years on Berkley cheery woods that are just as old.. I fish salt water so, if you don't care for your reels i don't care what the name brand is, they wont last a few years. I clean the rods with furniture polish and i take the reels apart and clean and lube yearly. I have one Penn reel.... its it my grandpas that passed and his reel and pole are more of shrine.

I am sorry i cant be much more help, unfortunately i use what i cant afford fancy things. Most reels are smooth operating. That first large fish will let you know if it will last. I had one 10 dollar special reel not last. That one broke on the first fish and the other 4 are still going strong.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I like Quantum reels and Penn for spinning reels, Ambassadeur ( if they still make them) and Lew's for baitcasting reels. I haven't bought a reel in a coons age, and I used to do a lot of tournament fishing here in Eufaula. As for line I have fallen in love with FireLine.....

I had a 308, but the bail spring kept breaking, so I found two or three UL Quantums and have yet to have a problem with them. One is on an old Bass Pro Shops microlite rod I bought maybe 20 years ago, one is on a UL rod I bought at Walmart some years back, and the last is on an All Star Crappie Special that I got ,again, many years back.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Well those Shimano Reels arrived and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Incredibly smooth with smooth drags, well balanced. Be another couple of months before I can get hooked up to a decent sized fish to really test them.

As for the China braid, I've tested, never had it pop at less than 16 lbs for 20 lb listed.
    And for me, for the price, frankly that is good enough. I like to give my fish a sporting chance.

I can spool 5 or more reels for the same cost as the big name brands would cost to spool one.

For me and river fishing where my wife is getting stuck in tree's because she is trying to Schwinnnng for the far bank that is just not worth the money. YMMV.

I suspect like everything else from China there is huge variance between different manufacturers and even different quality levels between different runs aimed for different brands.

If I don't get to land a 30 lb carp it is not exactly the end of the world for me.
    If he makes a long run and manages to get to a piece of concrete with a piece of rebar sticking out of it and get 2 or 3 wraps on it. Then a head shake and pop the line goes. I don't blame that on the line. I blame that on the fish and the fisherman. But that is just me.

Boolit Buddy
    penn reels, i cannot say enough about them.....used ones work just as well. as far as line and breaking strength and braid, I use mono, but as far as breaking strength, I have caught large fish on very small mono. Sometimes they have been 3-4 times the rated weight of the line. Skill and drag, tiring the fish out.....happy flounder trip, try the fluke rigs made for northern flounder with the white buck tail and spinner.

Boolit Master
    one day I caught a 25 lb. grass carp on my 7wt. fly rod w/a 4 lb. leader. It took 72 minutes to land it. I was fishing for bream on the beds when it hit. I turned it loose and went home. I was pretty worn out....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Banned

Penn reels are ok at best if you use mono. But if you use braid then how they lay the braid on the spool it is going to cause your line to sink in and knot. Shimano and daiwa are the two top brands for spinning reels.

Boolit Master
    My 10 year old Mitchell bit the dust today. When I go to Bass Pro Shops in Prattville this week I'll see about getting another light or ultralight Quantum or Penn reel, whichever is on sale.......

I have never had much luck with Mitchell reels. My 308 broke bail springs like they were free, and this last one only lasted ten years......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    I like the older Penn spinning reels. They are just tough,no frills reels but I only use mono with them. My favorite ultra light reel is a Penn 420ss I've had for probably 20 years (also have a 430ss). Also have some small Shimano reels with graphite frames that are nice too but I like the feel of the Penn better.

Boolit Master
    The last Penn spinning reel has had nothing but FireLine on it, no problems at all. It does say on the papers that it's suggested for freshwater only. I never saw that on a reel before.
    I don't think any of my reels have mono or fluorocarbon. If I take the UL to the mountains I'll buy some fresh mono for the spare spool....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    It would take a lot to get the only left-handed 1950s Pflueger Summit in the UK (I expect) away from me. Even if those succulent so-called agate bearings are only endstones, and the bearings that carry the load are steel. It works very well with 10lb Powerpro, which will cut through weed better than monofilament of the same strength, if you have to resort to a straight pull by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    My 10 year old Mitchell bit the dust today. When I go to Bass Pro Shops in Prattville this week I'll see about getting another light or ultralight Quantum or Penn reel, whichever is on sale.......

I have never had much luck with Mitchell reels. My 308 broke bail springs like they were free, and this last one only lasted ten years......
    Yep them old mitchel reels are were good ! I don't know how old my dads 300 and 308 are but I remember as a young kid him using them both on the white fiberglass sheakspere rods . He still uses them two reels now and and carries those extra bail springs with him . Maybe not as silky smooth or as high tech as what's available now but they are still reeling in the fish for the last 50 years or more .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast