Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Thinking new press

Boolit Buddy

Thinking new press

I have been using a Lee 3 hole turret for many years. I have been thinking of handing my Lee down to my son and getting a new one. Has anyone had any experience with the Redding T-7? Looks solidly built.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    I've had a Redding T-7 for 10 yrs. it is built like a tank. No regrets.

Boolit Master
    If you keep telling others about Dillon, therealhitman, there won't be enough for you and me...

I use my redding t7 for rifle only. It will not speed your reloading up, if that is your goal. Its just a nicer manually indexing version of what you already have. Just depends on you're goals.

I have no complaints and it does what I bought it to do. But I also have a fully automated progressive.

You may want to look at the new Lyman Brass Smith All-American 8 station turret press before you make any purchases. It looks like Lyman has finally joined the 21st century in reloading press designs, their previous turret suffered from cam-over issues, the new one appears to be typical toggle linkage like all the rest. Available from Midway 3/11/18

I went with a T-7 about 6 years ago and love it. As said, it does not speed my reloading up as I use it simply as a single stage (which it is). I did buy an extra turret but have not used it yet. JW

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye1 View Post
    I have been using a Lee 3 hole turret for many years. I have been thinking of handing my Lee down to my son and getting a new one. Has anyone had any experience with the Redding T-7? Looks solidly built.
    A YouTuber explains his decision on a new press. He has a Dillon 650 & a Redding T-7. He got rid of a LEE Classic Cast Turret press a few years back and regretted it. He purchased a Dillon 550 BL model. He then set it up using LEE dies & Powder measures. He explains the $$ pretty good. By setting up the Dillon tool heads with LEE Dies & Powder Measures he saved about $750 over going 100% Dillon on the (4) Calibers he wanted to use the press for.

Watch for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUQhn-grwc&t=101s

LEE has a new (4) die press coming out end of 2018 or early 2019:
    https://leeprecision.com/userfiles/a...echLockPro.pdf

LEE introduced a new Pro 1000 this year.

With Lyman & LEE introducing new press models Team Green & Team Blue might see new ones as well in the next year or so as well.

Good Luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    Might help if you could ennumerate what you want out of a new press.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Coax is what I use for rifle,Dillion and Hornaday LNL for pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    and how many different calibers you plan to load...More than 5, some presses get quite costly..

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Don I would have to agree.

If familiar with the Lee press then it might also be worthwhile to look at the New model lee presses. There have been a number of very nice improvements made to them.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the responses. You guys are always helpful. I really hadn't considered speeding things up, but really like the Dillon 550. That looks like a quality machine. I had the opportunity to borrow one from a friend and really liked the ease and speed. But as I reload quite a few different rifle and handgun cartridges I don't know that it would be economical to change over. I may keep the Lee Turret for the working up loads and add the Dillon. I will find something for my son to be able to grow into. Thanks guys.

Banned

A Classic Turret is a great press for your son or for you. For $100 a fantastic value
    I have a few presses including two BL550s and two Classic Turrets
    One 550 is set up for 9mm and the other for .357 mag
    May need to add a third for .45 ACP
    A lot of good choices out there

hawkeye1 for all the bad press they get I know I will be keeping both my Lee Value turret press and my Lee Pro1000. No need to change what's already working.

Boolit Master

If you decide on a T-7, you won't regret it at all. I have two + two RCBS RC's and a Dillon 650 and right now I use the (2) RCBS RC's and the T-7.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye1 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. You guys are always helpful. I really hadn't considered speeding things up, but really like the Dillon 550. That looks like a quality machine. I had the opportunity to borrow one from a friend and really liked the ease and speed. But as I reload quite a few different rifle and handgun cartridges I don't know that it would be economical to change over. I may keep the Lee Turret for the working up loads and add the Dillon. I will find something for my son to be able to grow into. Thanks guys.
    You are on the right track. I would never be without a single stage or turret press for working up and producing rifle loads. You will not regret getting the 550. And if you only acquire conversions for the calibers you shoot a lot, the 550 is not expensive.

I keep an eye on EBay for conversions. Not a huge savings but I add conversions that I can use when the price is right.
    Don Verna

Own two dillon's, it's faster than using my Lee Turret but you can replace the Turret with a Dillon - just not the other way around.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."