Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Do everything round for .45 colt lever gun and pistol?

Boolit Master

Do everything round for .45 colt lever gun and pistol?

I have a Ruger Bisley BH with 5.5" barrel in .45 Colt. I also have a Marlin 1894 carbine in .45 Colt. Both are carried in the woods for self-defense against predators.

Looking for a load that will shoot well in both. Needs to have enough oomph to be effective against critters and be accurate in both.

I have Blue Dot, Unique, Lil' Gun, H110, 231, and Tite Group.

Last week I loaded up 250gr Hornady XTPs and 250gr cast boolits from a Lee mold. Used 10.5 gr of Unique with both bullet types and 26gr of H110 with the cast 250gr.

Both guns preferred the 250gr cast boolits and the 10.5gr of Unique. But, rifle accuracy fell off sharply after 55yds. And the pistol accuracy wasn't all that great at 25yds.

Pistol did 2" at 25yds and rifle did 1" at 55yds. XTP bullets are at .451 and lead boolits sized to .452.

Going to load up some 300gr Lee boolit loads and going to try 9.5gr of Unique and 18.0gr of Lil' Gun. Also going to try un-sized boolits since my mold drops them at .4525 and see if that helps.

Looking for hotter loads that do well in both firearms. Any suggestions would be appreciated using the powders and boolits listed.

Boolit Master
    I have used some of John Linebaugh's recommended loads in my Ruger, and they were accurate and would surely kill anything that you shot with them. Just hang onto the gun when you pull the trigger!

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Hi. I have the same problem with my Ruger BH and Henry Original in .45 Colt. I haven't found "the" load yet, but thought I would follow the advice in this link. Hope this helps. Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I run a 265 grain Keith style bullet behind a pretty good charge of h110, also get good accuracy from Bluedot and imr 4227. Ran in a win 94' and ruger Blackhawk. I would like to add that i run mine all the way up in the ruger only loads. And the best accuracy was from 4227. But got alot more 000mph from the h110 so I went with it. Accuracy was acceptable for me in both loadings.

Boolit Mold
    For what is may be worth I have some chronograph records on this topic from 2013.

Lee 452-252-SWC #90356 that drops out at 247 grains with my hard alloy.

Load is 6 grains of Red Dot. All loads gave ‘reasonable accuracy’ (Sorry, I didn’t record specific groups/ranges.)

Italian Copy of Colt SAA 5 ½ barrel = 714 fps.
    Conversion cylinder in 1860 Colt = 610 fps.
    Puma copy of 1892 = 1032 fps.
    Henry Yellow Boy = 1004 fps.

Fyrd

Vendor Sponsor

You get to that 300gr boolit? FORGET Unique. Much too fast to make a magnum load under a heavy for caliber boolit. H110, 2400, LilGun, AA#9 but NO UNIQUE! You need slow burning powder for this one.

For the record, the Lee C452-300-RF boolits I use weigh 320gr lubed and checked.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. I have the same problem with my Ruger BH and Henry Original in .45 Colt. I haven't found "the" load yet, but thought I would follow the advice in this link. Hope this helps. Ed
    Thanks for the link

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Unique and a two hundred fifty grain bullet , you probably won't have to use the Ruger only loads either . Something close to nine hundred from the handgun should do what you want .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    My New Vaquero really likes 8.5 grains of unique under the Lee, 255-RF. My Marlin likes it just as well. It's not running fast but I've taken deer and smaller stuff with it in both of them. The Marlin will keep 5 shots in 4 inches at 100 yards with a Skinner peep sight when I hold up my end.

Boolit Grand Master
    My pistol/carbine combo is .357 Mag but maybe my protocol will help.

I find the most accurate load in the rifle first. It will be used at the longest ranges. If I get acceptable accuracy with the pistol I am done. For me, a 3” group at 25 yards with the pistol is **** good. If you are getting 2”, that is exceptional.
    Don Verna