RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Want to build a Krag rifle from scratch?

Want to build a Krag rifle from scratch?

Firearms News (formerly Shotgun News), February 2018, Issue 4, Sarco advertisement, page 96, bottom right hand corner:
    "Would you believe.... original G.I. U.S. Krag Receivers! original 1898 Krag receiver from old, old, old government auction. Very good condition. Spring Sale!..... $29.95 3/$79.95 10/239.95." The ad doesn't say, but these might have to pass through the books of an FFL-- but still a pretty inexpensive start.

Personally, if I wasn't already in possession of 4 complete actions, I'd already be making the phone call. (Sarco 610-250-3962, www.e-sarcoinc.com)

I posted this because I've seen several posts in the past by those wishing to build or own a Krag. Here's where you need to start with-- a receiver. These nice old rifles are rapidly vanishing into the dust bin of history, and finding one in as-issued original condition is becoming both pricy and difficult. There are many "sporterized" specimens floating about, all whacked, chopped, and customized to varying degrees, some better than others, most with a lot of wear and tear. However, I do believe that if you're in the mood for a "project" and have the time to continuously and repeatedly peruse e-bay and the offerings of the parts companies you can still assemble a very nice rifle from parts. Were I going to undertake the project I'd likely use a new reproduction stock and appropriate hand guards (nothing as nice as new walnut!), but even the stocks can be obtained with enough searching.

Good luck with your project! You can PM me for any problems/questions you might encounter if you decide to "go for it".

DG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Firearms News (formerly Shotgun News), February 2018, Issue 4, Sarco advertisement, page 96, bottom right hand corner:
    "Would you believe.... original G.I. U.S. Krag Receivers! original 1898 Krag receiver from old, old, old government auction. Very good condition. Spring Sale!..... $29.95 3/$79.95 10/239.95." The ad doesn't say, but these might have to pass through the books of an FFL-- but still a pretty inexpensive start.

Personally, if I wasn't already in possession of 4 complete actions, I'd already be making the phone call. (Sarco 610-250-3962, www.e-sarcoinc.com)

I posted this because I've seen several posts in the past by those wishing to build or own a Krag. Here's where you need to start with-- a receiver. These nice old rifles are rapidly vanishing into the dust bin of history, and finding one in as-issued original condition is becoming both pricy and difficult. There are many "sporterized" specimens floating about, all whacked, chopped, and customized to varying degrees, some better than others, most with a lot of wear and tear. However, I do believe that if you're in the mood for a "project" and have the time to continuously and repeatedly peruse e-bay and the offerings of the parts companies you can still assemble a very nice rifle from parts. Were I going to undertake the project I'd likely use a new reproduction stock and appropriate hand guards (nothing as nice as new walnut!), but even the stocks can be obtained with enough searching.

Good luck with your project! You can PM me for any problems/questions you might encounter if you decide to "go for it".

DG
    $29 can't beat that. They said to FFL but didn't say which. Those can go C&R.

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    $29 can't beat that. They said to FFL but didn't say which. Those can go C&R.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what...relic-firearms
    ATF has recognized only complete, assembled firearms as curios or relics. ATF’s classification of surplus military firearms as curios or relics has extended only to those firearms in their original military configuration. Frames or receivers of curios or relics are not generally recognized as curios or relics.

Read last sentence above from BATF.

Banned
    You could buy several complete Krags for what this project would cost. AND you would have something you could resell and not lose a dime.

Kinda like buying a 1957 chevy frame and then building a car to replicate an original that would cost far less.

Boolit Master
    After looking at Gunbroker and Ebay I have to think there are hundreds of receivers around, because some people seem to make a business of tearing them down for parts. Very sad but it must be profitable for them. I've seen new bolt bodies for around $60 at Grandpa's Parts?, which is all the old Bannerman stash. Does anyone still make a new stock?

Here's a generalized answer for you. From their website I can not tell if Boyd's makes Krag stocks anymore. But one could ascertain that with a phone call. They did make them for years, list several other military rifles, and I can't believe that they would stop making the Krag stock, but maybe it is so. However, a google for "gunstocks" and "gunstock makers" will readily turn up folks that do make them. I easily found Macon Gunstocks, who make a nice carbine stock.

Yes, it is both true and sad that cannibalization of Krags has been a thriving business for quite awhile. Any old, sort of junker Krags are snapped up, torn down, and sold for parts, the parts being worth more than the gun. Therefore, logic would dictate that for each parted out Krag there remains a receiver. But due to the gun laws, unless the receiver was manufactured prior to 1898, selling it has to follow the same rules as a receiver made yesterday. On the bright side though, and this is a fluke so don't count on it happening to you, I actually purchased two receivers via the source we're discussing that the seller listed as "barrel comes with extension" or "something is screwed on the end of the barrel and I can't get it off." So, "sometimes even cowboys get lucky". There were many 1896 and some 1894 receivers made, and the 1896 is fairly common and can move in commerce without restriction, and is virtually of no practical difference than the 1898 model.

I probably own two dozen Krags of various descriptions, and at least half of them I built with parts from e-bay. So, somewhere someone was tearing them down, and I was putting them back together, although not on the same receiver. I do have to disagree with M-96 Hunter's observation that the project would cost more than just buying a complete rifle outright. This depends on what rifle in what configuration we are talking about.

It might be true if you were to buy a poorly sporterized specimen that has been well used, but not true at all if we are talking about an original, as-issued rifle or carbine. You might get the sporter for $350-$500, but an original full length rifle in nice condition will easily bring $1,200 and a carbine can run $2,500. On the other hand, starting with just a receiver, I'd estimate the cost of either model built as a project/restoration not to run much over $500.

Here are some of the sporterized rifles I purchased to rebuild/restore.
    Attachment 214641
    Click to enlarge.

And here are some of the projects, also for the most part completed several years ago. Among them you can see two rifles needing only a pieced on stock extension and a front band/bayonet lug to restore them to their original full length rifle configuration. You'd be surprised at how often a rifle will appear for sale that only had the front end of the stock cut off and was then used as a sporter. My experience has been that many come from the Michigan area. (?)

Attachment 214642

As you can see there are several different types of projects in the photo, including some ersatz carbines. Sometimes it is easier to cut the barrel of a "sporter" off a bit more and rebuild it as a carbine, than it is to re-barrel to a full length rifle. The one on the far right is (was) being built up from a receiver, hence the new barrel.

Lastly, here are the two rifles that needed new pieces on the fore end of the stocks. There are three rifles in the picture. One is an original as-issued uncut rifle.

Attachment 214646

In closing, there are probably always as many reasons as to why someone shouldn't do something as to why they should. To me building these rifles into something better than they were was challenging, interesting, and educational. If you want a Krag in military configuration to add to your collection, but don't happen to have the highly inflated price that goes with an object that is becoming increasingly hard to find, then you might consider this project. If you can round up a copy of Col. Brophy's "The Krag Rifle" it will help a great deal in ascertaining which parts are correct for which vintage rifle/carbine -- but the book is also hard to come by and expensive.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 02-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    the important question is whether they have been built as rifles in the past. if not, then they can be built as "pistols".

You only have to open the magazine, dump some cartridges in, close the door, work that silky bolt and shoot it and too bad you are Hooked.
    I miss my bubba Krag. It had a Redfield rear and the original 30" barrel and a forend cut stock. It was easy to put 3 shots in 1-1/2" at 100yds. I traded it for a nice 28 gauge I thought I needed more....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk